Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Still getting Error - Deductible Home Mortgage Interest Worksheet

Why does turbo tax so this link as resolved when clearly it is still an issue for all of us? 

Glenns_and_roses
Returning Member

Was just on the phone about this and they explained to me that a) the websites accurately indicate that the form was available on 2/17 (and is available), but that b) in "some states" there is a software issue.   I'm in Maryland.

TeresaM
Expert Alumni

Thank you for sharing this information. Our team is working to resolve an error message for the form availability of the Deductible Mortgage Interest Worksheet after the original date expected.

Please see this TurboTax Help article which has a link to sign up for updates. Notifications Mortgage Interest Worksheet

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Strange for them to say that because the error is on the schedule A of the federal return and I got the message even before I started the state return. I am filing in California and Idaho. 

Glenns_and_roses
Returning Member

I agree.  I tend to think the person on the phone was not well informed.

I have the same problem and have called three times already. They need to fix it! Bought a house and sold one using same lender so cant combines dats from two loans. Ugh. I have had this done for 2 weeks but waiting on this.

Glenns_and_roses
Returning Member

Similar situation here.  The most disturbing thing is the phone rep actually recommended that I combine my three 1098s (from different lenders) into a single 1098 entry with the totals.   Umm....that's tax fraud.   Against the law.   SHOCKED they are telling people to do this.

TeresaM
Expert Alumni

Thank you for sharing this information. Our team is working to resolve an error message for the form availability of the Deductible Mortgage Interest Worksheet after the original date expected.

Please see this TurboTax Help article which has a link to sign up for updates. Notifications Mortgage Interest Worksheet

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

This problem--that the Ded Hom Mort worksheet works incorrectly for multiple 1098s in the Desktop app--has been around for three years now. It affects two circumstances: refinances, and deductible mortgages on more than one property. It's especially a problem for those of us whose mortgages exceed the $750k or $1m limit. Each year TT promises then fails to deliver a fix, so it's probably overoptimistic to expect one this year.

There are three ways to "solve" the refi problem. I should say right off I'm simply reporting my own experience and choices, and in no way providing expert advice.

The first is simple but feels risky (and it still works): merge the 1098s for the refi into one composite. Add the "interest paid" entries together, so that the total interest reported matches what the IRS gets, and use the earliest and latest data as appropriate for the other fields. This yields an "average" principal and associated interest limit that in effect assumes the refi happened on July 1, but that's usually not far off the mark.

The second is equally simple (and worked in the past): Use the Pub 936 instructions to calculate the average balance using a spreadsheet, then override the entries in Ded Hom Mort lines 12-14 to reflect that external calculation and the total interest from the 1098s.

The third is messier (but matches Pub 936, and I think will still work): Override the entries in the several columns of Ded Hom Mort Part 1 so that they accurately reflect the several 1098s, which should cause the entries in lines 12-14 to match the Pub 936 instructions.

If the non-updated Ded Hom Mort keeps preventing filing even with the overrides, then the first solution is the way to go (and it's what TT CSAs have been suggesting; it's low risk, since the total interest being reported matches the total sent to the IRS, and the limit is being calculated reasonably. If one refied near the beginning of the year, and got a much lower rate, then it might also be worth overriding line 12 with the average calculated more carefully per Pub 936.

Can you provide an estimated time this is going to be fixed?  

I need a response to this as well. As with everyone, this is preventing me from filing and I have already paid.

@bhc833 wrote:

I need a response to this as well. As with everyone, this is preventing me from filing and I have already paid.

This is all the information available - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/homeowner-tax-credits-and-deductions/help/why-isn-t-my-deductible-...

I see the update at the linked post you'd shared, but is anyone else able to sign up for updates with the button/link they'd provided? I click on it and get taken to a blank screen! I'd just like to know when this gets resolved, but no one can provide any info. I tried to reach support for two hours yesterday and was hung up on four times.

@custo2015 wrote:

I see the update at the linked post you'd shared, but is anyone else able to sign up for updates with the button/link they'd provided? I click on it and get taken to a blank screen! I'd just like to know when this gets resolved, but no one can provide any info. I tried to reach support for two hours yesterday and was hung up on four times.

I do not get a blank screen.  I am asked to sign with my user id and password and then asked if the information is still correct on how to reach me.

Clear cache and cookies on your web browser and try again.  If still a problem then change your web browser to either Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox or Microsoft Edge.

Anonymous
Not applicable

That's what I'm doing. This is ridiculous.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies