Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Got2golf
Returning Member

Schedule A - Line 11 Gave to 100% AGI, what should be shown to the left of Line 11 input box?

I don't understand how TT calculated the number listed to the left (on the dotted line) of Sch A ln 11.

I think its incorrect. It should equal the amount of all qualified cash/check contributions made. this number come from Charitable contributions summary sheet PART I column D.  Instead i'ts a much smaller number.  

In 2020 my accountant did not put anything to the left of the box so the IRS reduced my charitable giving in line 11 to 60% of AGI.  I am still working to get that straightened out.  

Would like to avoid confusion with the IRS again this year.  

Anyone know the magic hand shake for the IRS and how to make TT do it correctly?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
AmyC
Expert Alumni

Schedule A - Line 11 Gave to 100% AGI, what should be shown to the left of Line 11 input box?

If your contributions are less than 20% of your AGI, there are no limitations. If greater, there are. Beginning on page 14, limitations are discussed in About Publication 526, Charitable Contributions. First, review the rules and what you have done to determine the correct answer. If you are making cash donations, you can enter only the allowed amount.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Got2golf
Returning Member

Thanks,  We gave just about 100% AGI last year.  We have carry forward for all of the 30% from previous gift of property.  We have carry forward of cash from last year plus or cash giving for the 50/100 levels.  Basically, the qualified amount is what we gave plus carry forward.  The allowed amount is roughly 70% AGI.  

I have read through 526 specifically line 11.  I find the words regarding the NOTE on the dotted line next to the input box 11.  The number TT entered does not appear to be related to the 100% contributions and the number is not editable.  Any idea on where I can look to see why that number is so far off or how I set it to the allowed number?

Thanks for your help

Got2golf
Returning Member

I did more exploring with TT and a small excel sheet with the goal being to understand where the TT Sch-A Ln 11 note comes from.  Turns out the remainder of the 60% allowed but not covered by the 2020 60% carry forward.  The detail: I have carry forward for all of the 30%.  I have a small carry forward cash gifts that applies at the 60/100%.  I have enough cash gifts (qualifying) to cover 70% of AGI (note: there will carry forward to 2021). 

TT applied the cash to 50% level first.  Then it applied the 60/100% carry forward to the 60% cash only category (or 10% AGI). The remaining 40% that gets us to the 100% number was calculated and came from the cash giving for the year.  TT subtracted the 60% carry forward from the 10% as the number placed on the dotted lines next to Schedule A box 11.  If that's too confusing here is a table view.

30%      Covered by Carry forward

50% Level (20% AGI)     Covered by 100% this years qualified cash gifts

60% Level (10% AGI)    Covered by 47% carry forward and 53% this years qualified cash gifts.

100% Level (40% AGI)  Cover by 100% This years qualified cash gifts

The 53% at the 60% Level is the number TT put on the dotted line next to Sch A Ln 11

If there was no 60% carry forward the number on the dotted line is 10% of AGI.

This is not what I think the IRS is looking for.  Is there any way to have TT verify my analysis?

RobertB4444
Expert Alumni

You are probably better off having someone walk through the return with you to look at your entries so I recommend getting live expert help.

Here is a link to finding a TurboTax expert.

However, that requires upgrading your product which may be an expense you don't want.  In that case you can call an expert and ask questions over the phone.

Here is a link to the TurboTax Phone Number.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
SwissTom

I had a similar problem with my 2020 return.  We had a very large charitable contribution that was >60% of AGI.  (All cash)  For 2020, the IRS allowed charitable cash contributions up to 100% of AGI.  When I filed the return in April 2021, TT showed nothing on the dotted line next to the box 11.  Consequently, the IRS assumed it was all subject to the lower limit, and wanted a LARGE additional tax payment.  In the end, I had to manually enter the correct value on the dotted line of line 11 Schedule A, and filed a corrected return.

(Interestingly, TT now shows a value on the 2020 dotted line, but I have no idea how it is calculated.  It does not seem to relate to any part of the charitable contributions.)

The value on the dotted line should be equal to the value in the box on line 11.

For 2021, I have a follow-on problem.  The IRS should allow all the charitable contributions to be deducted for 2020, but my state (MN) only allowed up to 60% of AGI for 2020.  This means I have a large carryover of excess charitable contributions from 2020 to 2021, for the state return only.  TT does not seem to have any mechanism to handle this.  I can manually calculate the correct amounts to appear on my state itemized deductions, and complete my return, but I am starting to wonder why I am bothering with TT, if all of this has to be manually entered.

In TT, is there a way to carry forward excess charitable contributions for the MN return?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies