Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Schedule 8812

@DAVMember wrote:

What is the advance payment on schedule 8812. Not even sure what schedule 8812 is.

Everyone is being asked this question since TurboTax does not know if the user was one who received these advances from the IRS in 2021.

Enter a 0 (zero) when asked to enter a number on the Schedule 8812. This will correct the issue and remove the Schedule 8812 from your tax return so that you can file the return.

Schedule 8812

@DAVMember

Everyone has to answer whether they received advance child tax credit payments.   If you did not receive any of those payments between July and December you need to answer that you did not receive any payments.

There are so many scenarios with those payments---like divorced/never married parents who have issues over who received the payments, who claimed the children, etc. --- the software has no way of knowing if any of that involves you---so you have to answer the questions about it. 

Please follow these steps to indicate you did not receive any advanced payments:

1. Click on the "Search" on the top and type "Child tax credit"
  2. Click on “Jump to Child Tax Credit”
  3. Continue through the questions until the "Tell us about any advance Child Tax Credit payments" screen and select "No".
  4. Continue through the questions.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Schedule 8812

Look its a glitch in the system, bottom line, for me it still comes up on the Final review even when I found the problem in step by step, added zero, also removed 8812 and after a refresh still came up in the final review. 

Schedule 8812

Do not remove form 8812. Enter 0 if you had no dependents or did not receive any advance child tax credit.

Everybody filing a tax return in 2021 has to answer the question of whether they received advance child tax credit payments.

Click on the link for more information

Advance Child Tax Credit

Schedule 8812

thank you dawnc!!
Gene127

Schedule 8812

Turbo tax continues to ask to enter an amount received as an advance payment on schedule 8812. I do not have any dependent children and have not received any payments. Should I delete entire form or just enter 0???

Schedule 8812

As already answered above, enter 0.

jofellers

Schedule 8812

I cannot delete Schedule 8812. I don't understand why it's even there since we have no child dependents.

This is very frustrating as I have wasted a lot of time just trying to get rid of this Schedule. Thank you for your help.

Schedule 8812

@jofellers wrote:

I cannot delete Schedule 8812. I don't understand why it's even there since we have no child dependents.

This is very frustrating as I have wasted a lot of time just trying to get rid of this Schedule. Thank you for your help.

Everyone is being asked this question since TurboTax does not know if the user was one who received these advances from the IRS in 2021.

Enter a 0 (zero) when asked to enter a number on the Schedule 8812. This will correct the issue and remove the Schedule 8812 from your tax return so that you can file the return.

Lyman600

Schedule 8812

Turbo Tax wants me to complete schedule 8812, however, I do not have any dependent children.  What do I do ??

Schedule 8812

@Lyman600 wrote:

Turbo Tax wants me to complete schedule 8812, however, I do not have any dependent children.  What do I do ??

Schedule 8812

same here.  i've got no dependents and the form returns after i delete it. 

Schedule 8812

@cloth99 wrote:

same here.  i've got no dependents and the form returns after i delete it. 

Schedule 8812

The solution posted by Mike029 solves the problem.  Get into the "Easy Step" method, and follow the process outlined by Mike029. 

Worked for me and I was able to delete 8812 without it reappearing.

dbc22

Schedule 8812

same thing happened to me with 2 tax forms.  seems like the program should have included that question in the step by step or even when you select your own forms.  I had to search around to see where the form was driven and did not find it. finally entered 0 in the form but waste of time.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies