turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

returns do not match

I completed my return online but did not submit.  I then decided to purchase the Deluxe option from Costco (cheaper) which is through the PC download.  I completed them both and there is a $400 discrepancy with what they both say my federal return should be.  State return matches for both.  From what I can see it looks like the PC version is not adding my credits to the amount of taxes that I paid (the online version is doing this).  Anyone else experience this?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

14 Replies
Kat
Level 15
Level 15

returns do not match

I just came across your post and want to suggest one thing.  Is your PC (Desktop) edition updated?  It's possible that your software needs to be updated to explain the discrepancy.  See the info below to check for current updates.

How do I update TurboTax CD/Download software? 

These updates can be set to occur automatically when the program is opened, which is preferable.

Please post back and let me know if this is the situation.  I can report the issue to TurboTax Moderators if you've discovered a software issue.  Thank you in advance!

*** I am NOT a tax expert. I am a seasoned TurboTax user, and volunteer to provide assistance to TT users. Nothing I post is to be considered TAX ADVICE; I bear no legal liability for responses.***
Rd11
Level 1

returns do not match

I filed my taxes and I didn't receive my resident credit for nys, but i have submitted them when i was asked the question i said i was a resident for a year and i submitted them tgen it was too late i caught this afterwards things were missing so what do i do the government already accepted them

VictoriaD75
Expert Alumni

returns do not match

If your return has already been accepted, you will need to wait until it has been processed, then amend. An amended return must be paper filed. The 1040X for an amended Federal return is expected to be available on February 5, 2020. The New York State amended return is now available in the software.

Should you have to amend, follow the steps below:

1. Log into your TurboTax account
  2. Choose the tax year that you wish to amend
  3. Click Amend
  4. Make any necessary changes

Keep in mind that when you are amending, the refund tracker monitors the difference from your original filing to the amended return. It does not include any original refund or balance due. If you are claiming any previously unclaimed credits, you will see the difference as an additional refund amount. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Bigmommy1983
Returning Member

returns do not match

Can I have y'all company phone number plz

AmyC
Expert Alumni

returns do not match

Please fill this form out for someone to call you or give us a call at (800) 446-8848.

burkland24
Returning Member

returns do not match

I have the same issue. Any resolution to yours? 

VictoriaD75
Expert Alumni

returns do not match

Are you using the downloaded software or the online version? Are you able to determine what credits are not applying to your return?

Rd11
Level 1

returns do not match

I found no resolution yet they say i have to wait.

returns do not match

I have the same issue. I started in Premier Online. I then purchased PC Deluxe with state return (cheaper). My refund in PC Deluxe was smaller than in ONLINE Premier. I had sold a stock portfolio & decided to upgrade to Premier on PC. My refunds on PC Premier did not increase to match the Online Premier numbers. Is this a bug in the TT software? I attempted to contact TT support. I filled out the form, then called. I could not get past the robot agent. No help at all. The robot agent got stuck on "refund".  ALSO, I checked to make sure that I have the latest updated version of PC Premier.

How do I obtain a refund for my Premier PC upgrade? 

JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

returns do not match

Try using the following link.  Explain to the agent what has happened and they will be able to assist you.

Contact TurboTax

KeithD423

returns do not match

I have the same issue,  Online Deluxe version has higher refund amounts than the updated (as of today) software download Deluxe version from Costco.  Exact same information input.  Tried contacting TurboTax support, once finally through to a human being, they hung up on me.  

returns do not match

You would have to Print out the online return and compare it to the Desktop return.  You entered something different on one of them.  Or you haven't updated your program.  You can download the .tax2020 file from online for free and open it in the Desktop program.  First save your Desktop return with another name to tell them apart.

First download the .tax file from the Online version,  

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/saving/help/how-do-i-save-my-turbotax-online-return-as-a-tax-data-...

Then see, How to Switch to Desktop,

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/choosing-a-product/help/how-do-i-switch-from-turbotax-online-to-th...

After you get the program installed the first thing to do before you open your tax return is to update the program and install any state programs you had.  So you first might need to start a fake return to be able to download the state program (go to FILE - New)

Then you just OPEN the .tax2020 file, go up to File-Open.  You don't import or transfer it.

returns do not match

30 January 2021 

Yes, my desktop version was updated. I update once a week or so while preparing my return. My information was identical or nearly identical in both the WEB version and the desktop version. If the totals were off a few pennies or a few dollars, I could live with that. It was much further off. If was off on the order of $1500 dollars. (my refund appeared to be MORE in the more expensive web version (if I paid for it). 

returns do not match

Then like I said you can download the online retun and open it in the Desktop program for free.  Then you can look through the forms and see what's different.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies