turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

haphowell

Can I use the free software if I have an HSA which my Company withholds all contributions, and I didn't spend out of the account this year?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

18 Replies
DianeW
Expert Alumni

Can I use the free software if I have an HSA which my Company withholds all contributions, and I didn't spend out of the account this year?

No, the HSA entries are require an upgrade to TurboTax Deluxe version even if no money was used from the account.

• In the search box, upper right type hsa > jump to hsa > 
  • Continue to make the required entries about your health savings account (HSA)
  • Click the screenshots attached to enlarge and view for assistance.

For more information about this entry review the information below.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/4557768

Fathawg

I filed for like 4 years for free, with an HSA.  I also DO NOT pay for TurboTax, as I am remarkably cheap.

There are 2 free versions. In the regular Turbo Tax Free Edition, information that you can enter is limited now.  Why do I have to upgrade from the Free Edition?
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/upgrading/help/why-do-i-have-to-upgrade-from-free-edition/00/26379

To go back to a lower version or the Free Edition you can try to clear and start over https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/how-do-i-clear-and-start-over-in-turbotax-onli...

OR There is also The Turbo Tax Free File program which is free for federal and state.  And has more forms than the Federal Free Edition, like Schedules A, B, C , D, E, F, EIC, H, K-1, SE,  etc.

To qualify for the Free File website  you just need to meet one of these 3 things
AGI $36,000 or less
Active duty military with AGI of $69,000 or less
OR qualify for EIC (earned income credit.)

In order to use the Free File program, you have to start it at a special website. Try signing in at the top right
https://freefile.intuit.com/

Nothing but grift, these scumbags are required by law to offer free filing an HSA doesn't change that reporting this to the fed.

They do offer free filing.  2 ways.  Either the regular Free Edition or as one of the IRS Free Filing.

There is The Turbo Tax Free File program which is free for federal and state.  And has more forms than the Federal Free Edition, like Schedules A, B, C , D, E, F, EIC, H, K-1, SE,  etc.

To qualify for the Free File website  you just need to meet one of these 3 things

AGI $39,000 or less

Active duty military with AGI of $72,000 or less

OR qualify for EIC (earned income credit.)

In order to use the Free File program, you have to start it at a special website.  Click on Sign in at the top right.  It may let you continue your return so you don't have to start over.

https://freefile.intuit.com/

wyrdone42

The fact that you have to use a special URL to access the program as a returning user is total BS and mostly a way for Intuit to scam us out of $110 filing fee. 

I for one will not return to use Intuit in the future if they continue to require "deluxe version" to file if you have a simple HSA.

jennybait

Thank you so much, genuinely.

I just tried the IRS Free File Program link.  Intuit no longer participates, so it is no longer an option.

There are eight other software programs on the Free File site---but TurboTax is not one of them.   You do not have to use TurboTax.

-Use this IRS site for other ways to file for free.  There are 8  free software versions available from the IRS Free File site

https://apps.irs.gov/app/freeFile/

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Why does Turbotax require an upgrade to Turbotax Deluxe when an HSA is reported? That doesn’t make any sense! Is there a way to get around paying for Deluxe if I want to file with Turbotax but have an HSA?

BillM223
Expert Alumni

The TurboTax Free or Basic edition is only for "simple returns" (see the subheading at the entry page for TurboTax).

Click on "Simple tax returns only" on the upper left of that link to see an explanation of what is and is not in the Free or Basic return. Since reporting activity in an HSA requires form 8889 and may make entries on Schedules 1 through 3, this is not considered a simple return.

@amyheckman

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I’m an accountant and that literally makes no sense whatsoever. An HSA is one of the most simplest thing i’ve ever encountered. Considering an HSA typically goes along with a high deductible health insurance plan, which is usually elected by low-income individuals, this seems exactly like classism and discrimination. Turbotax should be ashamed of themselves and I will never use this service again and I will make sure everybody I know will never use it again.

I will no longer be using turbotax. This charge is absolutely too much and just greedy on Turbotax's end. There are many better alternatives that allow me to file taxes even with an HSA. shame.

@amyheckman 

@Arash Amiri 

"Simple" return means a return that requires only a Form 1040 and none of the extra schedules.   

*A simple tax return is Form 1040 only.

Situations covered in TurboTax Free Edition include:

• W-2 income
  • Limited interest and dividend income reported on a 1099-INT or 1099-DIV
  • Claiming the standard deduction
  • Earned Income Tax Credit (EIC)
  • Child tax credits
  • Student Loan Interest deduction

Situations not covered in TurboTax Free Edition include:

• Itemized deductions
  • Unemployment income reported on a 1099-G
  • Business or 1099-NEC income
  • Stock sales
  • Rental property income
  • Credits, deductions and income reported on schedules 1-3
**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies