Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Can I use the free software if I have an HSA which my Company withholds all contributions, and I didn't spend out of the account this year?

That does not change the fact that this rule doesn’t make any sense whatsoever. Turbotax is charging users with an HSA because they are a terrible and greedy corporation.

Jhys88

Can I use the free software if I have an HSA which my Company withholds all contributions, and I didn't spend out of the account this year?

I wish I did more research! I'll never use turbo tax again. All because of an HSA I had to pay $108 and then they wanted to charge me another $39 to pay them using my tax return instead of "pulling out my wallet". F this company and they should be sued. Partly my fault for not doing the research. Scumbags!!

Daaave

The most obnoxious part of their system is that it doesn't tell you that you have to upgrade (now $60) until THE END of the entire process of answering questions, checking, completing State questionnaires, set a filing PIN, etc.  Only at the point when I clicked "File Now", one month ago, did it tell me "Oops, you don't have a simple return!  $60 please!"  After I had spent the two hours filling everything in.  Meanwhile, it knew that I filled out the offending box in my W2 from the first step when it downloaded it from the payroll company.

If it had told me right up front that "you are not eligible for free filing, you will have to pay $60 to file", I would have had the option at that time to consider alternatives before investing the time inputting into TT itself.  But they play this game, AFTER you've invested your time, and you don't have the energy to go through it again.  A Bait and Switch.

Daaave

Oh, and it WASN'T ONLY $59.  It was $59 for Fed + $54 State ... and that nonsense about paying the fees with a portion of your federal return?  Oh, that's just another $39 fee.  That's all!  They don't even tell you about the last two until AFTER you've decided to go for the $59 fee.

All because my employer decided that the low wage workers be on a High Deductable Plan and they would make HSA contributions (new this year) to make up for it.  So nice.

Such an "uncommon" situation, that TT decides we should spring for Deluxe to file ... and only tells you AFTER we've input all the information and answered all the questions - everything prior to entering a credit card to pay for it.  Thanks for being "transparent" about your fees!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies