Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Dependent Error on federal return

I am getting an error in my federal return.  In the Personal Worksheet, Part II, if I leave the box blank that I am not anyone's dependent, I get the error. I am single, 33 years of age and I am not a dependent of anyone else, nor do I qualify to be a dependent of anyone. Turbo Tax will not allow me to leave the box empty.  The amount I get back from federal increases if I leave this box blank, but decreases if I don't. I want to leave it blank.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

27 Replies

Sorry---you have to pick "yes" or "no" to the question.  There is a box on your Form 1040 that must be checked as to whether you can be claimed as someone else's dependent or not.   If no one else can claim you as a dependent, you click NO.    

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Yes. I understand that, however, when I pick NO, MY Federal tax liability increases by $1,500

Is there a way to avoid that? Why should my tax liability increase merely because  I am not anyone's dependent?

That actually makes no sense.   Click your name and go back through all of the screens in My Info-- you may have some other error.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

I agree it does not make sense. I have had this issue for several years now.  My father has had the same error on his federal tax returns going back a couple of decades. He is 73 years of age and even in his 2023 tax return, he still gets the same error message unless he checks the No box,(which increases his federal tax liability) even though he does not qualify to be anyone's dependent. I would like TurboTax to look into this!!

What software version are you using?   Are you using online or desktop?   

I have used TurboTax Deluxe online for close to 30 years now. I always encounter the same error message on every desk top computer on which I've had TurboTax installed. I download TurboTax from their website every year on my Windows 10 computer.

I am baffled.   Seeking thoughts from some others.

@DoninGA   @rjs @SteamTrain @Critter-3 

I just went over the personal questions once again. The tab on Personal Info has several questions as follows:

1. Legally blind.....

2. Language used by IRS....

3. Passed away....

4. Can another taxpayer claim me on their tax return?

I mark "none of the above." That is the only place where the TurboTax program asks about being a dependent of anyone else.

I have not heard of any other users with this issue.  So.....waiting to hear input from several others who know their way around this software to see if they have ever seen this.   To be clear----you are saying that your "tax liability" increases by $1500 when you say No to the dependent question----so is your tax due or refund changing by that amount?   

I have never heard of this problem in the last 13 years of answering questions on the TurboTax forums.

When you say your tax liability increases, that would only occur if your taxable income increases or you have Additional taxes from Schedule 1 Line 3.

Where are you seeing on the Form 1040 the increase in tax liability?

On your Personal Info worksheet, Part II, where asked about being claimed as a dependent the answer must be NO.  That is the only box in Part II that should be checked. 

Turbo Tax will not let me leave either the yes or the no boxes empty. Leaving them both blank, I get the error message. So, if I leave both boxes blank, my federal liability is $2,913, and if I mark Yes, it increases my fedeeral liability to $3,658.  Marking it No it stays at $2,913 liability.

First of all if you have been using the installed Desktop program that is not the Online version.  Downloading the program is not the same as using Online.   Online is using the browser version and logging into an online account each time.  And if you have a Personal tab at the top that is the Desktop program.  Online is called My Info in a black bar down the left side.

If it has been happening for years and on different computers and returns you must be answering something wrong every time.  In my Desktop program the 4 questions say...

Was Legally Blind

Change the Language

Passed away

None of the Above

The one about being claimed as a dependent is on the screen before by itself.  

If a forum monitor can response they will want to see a diagnostic copy of your return.  You need to post a token number here in this thread.

For Online......Go to Tax Tools/ Tools / share my file with Agent. This creates an anonymous copy of your file which is stripped of your Personal Info and uploads it to a diagnostic database for tech support and gives you a token number to identify the file. Post the token number here for the Moderator.

For Desktop program....Go up to Online > Send Tax File to Agent.

I am seeing the tax liabilities in red change at the top of the screen of Turbo Tax, depending on the yes or no answers.  As I said, I answered (none of the above) in the personal questions, which really means No, to the dependent question.  

Look at your actual tax return Form 1040.  What is listed for your taxable income on Line 15?  Is it correct?

What is listed for your tax liability on Line 16 and 17?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies