Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Choose itemized button not working, keeps saying I'm selecting the standard deduction, frustrating!

@krbgo1

Are you making the common mistake of just adding up all the amounts for your itemized deductions without considering the caps and thresholds that must be met?

STANDARD DEDUCTION

Many taxpayers are surprised because their itemized deductions are not having the same effect as they did on past tax returns.  The new higher standard deduction and the elimination of certain deductions, as well as the cap on state and local taxes have had a major impact since the new tax laws went into effect beginning with 2018 returns.

Your itemized deductions have to be more than your standard deduction before you will see a change in your tax owed or tax refund.  The deductions you enter do not necessarily count “dollar for dollar;” many of them are subject to meeting  tough thresholds—medical expenses, for example, must meet a threshold that is pretty hard to reach.  The software program uses all the IRS rules that apply to the expenses you enter, and it tells you if you have enough to use your itemized deductions or if using the standard deduction is more advantageous for you.  Under the new tax laws, some deductions have been capped—there is a $10,000 limit to the itemized deductions for state, local, property and sales taxes.

Your standard deduction lowers your taxable income.  It is not a refund. 

2019 Standard Deduction Amounts

Single $12,200   (+ $1650 65 or older)

Married Filing Separate  $12,200   (+ $1300 if 65 or older)

Married Filing Jointly $24,400   (+ $1300 for each spouse 65 or older)

Head of Household $18,350  (+ $1650 for 65 or older)

Look on line 9 of your 2019 Form 1040 to see your itemized/standard deduction amount

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Choose itemized button not working, keeps saying I'm selecting the standard deduction, frustrating!

I called and spoke with a Quicken CPA and she advised me to go forward with return to the review area. The itemized deductions were used (as I selected) despite the crazy button earlier stating my standard deduction was better. I was able to file my return using all of my calculated deductions.

Glad to hear you were able to get your problem resolved. Most of the comments you received were frustrating to read and I’m glad you were able to find “qualified” help.  That being said, I have also run into the same problem where TurboTax will not allow me to select, or even compare, my itemized deductions versus the standard deduction.  As in your case, my itemized deductions also far exceed my standard deduction and over the past 13 years since living in my home, I have actually been required to itemize my expenses due to my mortgage taxes, property taxes, etc.  This is the first year that TurboTax has forced me to go with the standard deduction (with no rational within the FAQ’s, etc.) as to why this might be occurring.  Would you be willing to share the telephone number you used for assistance?  Thanks!

I am having the same issue on my deluxe turbo tax! Itemization button not working! What # did you use?

CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

Please click here to speak with a member of customer support. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Having the same issue. TurboTax says “Based on what you just told us, itemizing your deductions is best for you,” then defaults to Standard Deductions when I try to file.
I called the customer service line and shared screens while I showed them the issue. Clearing my cache and cookies didn’t help, nor did deleting everything and starting fresh. Despite what people are saying about the free version, upgrading to Deluxe or Premier didn’t fix the problem. The program has a glitch, and I’m sure more people will be complaining as we get closer to April.

Which number did you call? Customer service couldn’t help me at all.

Has anyone seen or done this?

If it's giving you the Standard Deduction and  not showing you Schedule A you can check the actual amount of itemized deductions by using by going to

Tax Tools on left

Tools - Topic Search (top left box)

Type in  itemized deductions, choosing.  It should highlight that in the list, click on GO

Then Click on "Change my deduction". That will display the actual amount of itemized deductions vs. the standard deduction.    (Be sure to uncheck "Change my deduction" after checking it so you do not lock in the wrong deduction.

How to change between the Standard Deduction and Itemized Deductions

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/accessing/help/how-do-i-change-from-the-standard-deduction-to-item...

Me too! I'm giving up since my itemized is not that much more than standard (<$200). It is so weird how the program tells me it is giving me itemized and that I should keep it that way because it is better, but the forms prefill and lock in to the standard deduction. Definitely a bug of some sort. Not worth my time sorting it out though. Fingers crossed they fix it by next year.

If you have Charity Deductions you can take $300 in addition to the Standard Deduction.  So the SD+300 would be more than your itemized deductions if they are less than 200 more than the SD.  

Check 1040 line 10b for the extra $300 deduction.

Aha! I think I figured out my problem, but it may not address everyone else's... Apparently this year as part of the CARES act, people who take the Standard Deduction are allowed to deduct an additional $300 of charitable gifts. I assume this was done to encourage donations during the pandemic. Therefore, when you add that $300 to my Standard deduction, it actually put me a little higher than my itemized deduction. There is still a glitch since the program doesn't explain this - it tells you one thing, but records another - VERY frustrating. Lots of wasted time Googling on my part to sleuth that out. At least I understand it now though.

Thank you! I think we were posting at the same time as I received your reply after I made my second post explaining my discovery of the same fact. I do wish TT would fix that though in the interview process. It is very confusing.

No help from click here option this expert referred to for this issue... THIS IS A TECHNICAL problem with the actual program not a quick fix!

NOT CORRECT this issue is occurring across the board on deluxe edition as well!! I called and no they could NOT help me!

OK I got Itemized deduction works best for you! I move forward with this and then at the end it is going to tell me to review as there is an issue with my STANDARD Deduction...but I am filing ITEMIZED>>>???

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies