turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

A_Sh

While filling part-year resident tax return to CA and OR, can this be correct that I get full refund from CA while most of my annual income in CA?

Hello, I have a question: My wife and I moved from CA to OR in mid-2018 and filled part-year resident tax return for both California and Oregon. Together we made about $85,000 in CA and about $52,000 in OR (no timing overlap - CA income made in CA and OR income made in OR), but in the final document produced by TurboTax results are as below:

California:

Taxable Income $69,728.00, Total Tax $0.00, Total Payments/Credits $4,180.00, Amount to be Refunded $4,180.00, Effective Tax Rate 0.0%

Oregon:

Taxable Income $ 107,189.00, Total Tax $3,106.00, Total Payments/Credits $2,437.00, Payment Due $669.00

Question: Why calculated taxable Income (and consequently the tax amount) in Oregon is much higher than what we made in this state, while I got full refund of entire paid taxes (zero tax to CA)? Is there a possibility of a mistake? It look like the option to avoid double taxation was against CA? Does Oregon tax our CA income even before we move to OR?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
Anita01

While filling part-year resident tax return to CA and OR, can this be correct that I get full refund from CA while most of my annual income in CA?

You had no double taxed income in either state, so should not have taken that credit on either return.  It would probably be easiest for you to simply delete both returns and start over, doing CA first, then OR.  Be very careful entering amounts and state codes in the state portions of your W-2s.  When you are asked about double taxed income, say No.  You may have other errors, but his is a great place to start to make corrections.  And no, OR does not tax your CA income before you move there.  You should be able to delete state returns by following these instructions:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3301384

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies