turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I work in north carolina but live in south carolina. Do I have to file a state return in south carolina, my state of residency? I have no income in my resident state.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

I work in north carolina but live in south carolina. Do I have to file a state return in south carolina, my state of residency? I have no income in my resident state.

Yes...Absolutely you do.

You have to file a Non-resident NC tax return for just the NC wages....then after that is done, you file a SC Resident tax return which taxes everything.

.................SC wants to see that you actually paid taxes to NC, 

...........................and then, when  SC calculates a tax on ALL your income...from everywhere (this includes bank interest and dividends, everything else too).  Once SC calculates their tax, then they will allow you to take a credit for part or all  the taxes you had to pay to NC.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

What do you mean by they will give you a credit? Will I owe South Carolina state by not having paid taxes to them through my income?

DMarkM1
Employee Tax Expert

Possibly.  If you did not pay enough taxes for your income then you will owe SC.  As @SteamTrain mentions SC will give you a credit to mitigate the SC taxes on income that was taxed by NC. 

When you complete your non-resident NC return be sure to take note of the income that was taxed by NC and the tax on that income.  You will use those numbers to complete your SC resident return.   

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
TomD8
Level 15

@kmendonca813 --

In TurboTax, be sure to complete your non-resident NC return before you do your home state SC return, so that the program can calculate and apply your credit correctly.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies