turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

DeK7

What is the State and local tax refund summary?

I am having the same problem. I was refunded by the state $431. When I get to the state and Local Tax refund summary, turbo tax is claiming that I was refunded $862.  Why is there the discrepancy? I never received that much from the state.

This is a known error and being investigated.

Here are the steps to work around it:

Go to Federal

Wages and Income

Other Common Income

Refunds Received for State/Local Tax Returns

Revisit

Delete the entry there

Enter your state refund again.

@DeK7 

@kholzie 

nancyjo57
Returning Member

I am having the same problem on my taxes. My state refund was $711 and the summary field shows double that at $1422. 

I tried to overide it and input my own numbers but it wont correct it. 

What should I do at this point. Wait and file later? How will I know this has been fixed?

@MaryM428,

I haven't seen any other mention of this being a "known issue", nor have I seen anything come out from Intuit saying "There's a problem with this calculation, please address it manually with these steps"  

Can I ask where you got the information from that it's a known issue?  I'm not doubting that it is as it seems extremely unlikely that so many peoples actual return value would be exactly doubled (just as mine was as well).  Just looking for assurance as to where you got that information from.  

Thank you

maggy7

Delete it from the summary page, then select you didn't get a refund. Go back to that step and select the refund and input the amount. That made my issue go away and the correct amount was displayed.

nancyjo57
Returning Member

Thank you for the work around. It worked for me.

But it is a bit confusing that turbo tax has this issue and I can find nothing about it except in this forum.

Doesn't instill confidence in the software!

Yvette A

I have never seen this information entered in the income section. If your state refund is entered here (which for some, may be a high amount) then doesn't this add to your AGI and could possibly put some people over the limit to qualify for some credits? Can this be deleted and nothing entered?

I need a copy of the State and local tax refund summary Please.

TiffanyL
Intuit Alumni

To access your State return that you filed with TurboTax, please see the FAQ link posted below:

How do I get a copy of a return I filed this year in TurboTax Online?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

This can be found on 1099-G from NY State web site.  This is very confusing but the number Turbotax fills in is correct and matches the 1099-G that NY reports to the federal government.

++following

I have same issue and would like to know the latest guidance. If it's a known issue, I don't understand why it's still an issue on both the desktop and web versions of Turbotax this late in the tax season.

If you can link to the correct post, that would be helpful.

@graystones  This is a long thread with old posts.   What do you need?

I had clicked "reply" in response to a previous commenter stating she posted another thread. I assumed it would reply in context to her. I guess it did not. No worries. I was just looking for more insight here because my issue has not been answered.

Under State and Local Tax Refund Summary, I have 2 years worth of refunds entered in my 2020 returns. 2019, which asks a series of questions to show it will not be taxed, is not a question. 

2018, which I received from my state at the beginning of 2020 because I did my 2018 returns extended at the end of 2019, does not give me any questions and therefore "counts" in my taxable state returns. As far as I know, it should not be taxable because it's just an overpayment return from 2018, a year in which I took the standard deduction.

If you know it is not taxable because you took the Standard Deduction then do not enter that one at all.   Go back and delete it.

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies