turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

PMR1
Level 2

Turbo Tax activation at every update

In the middle of prepping a tax return I was prompted to update TT.  I updated it and it asked for the activation code again.  The prompt also said I could install on a total of 5 computers.  I currently have it on 1 but plan to take it to my office as well, so I see problems on the horizon.  I see this has been an issue for the last couple of years.  Apparently not resolved yet.  I don't relish the idea of having to use the suggested fixes on previous years' responses.  Any suggestions?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

Please see the list of solutions in the below TurboTax FAQ to help with resolving the activation code issue:

TurboTax 2019 and TurboTax 2020 requests license activation at every launch

If you continue to have issues please see the link below to contact one of our TurboTax representatives: 

What is the TurboTax phone number?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I have this same problem, except it is much more urgent for me, because my disk/code has been mislaid.  I have the box and the receipt but not the disk or code.

I am shocked that this very serious bug has apparently been around for a long time and TurboTax hasn't bothered to fix it.

TerukoL
Intuit Alumni

We take your concern very seriously and wish to help address this.  Unfortunately, in this public forum, we do not have direct access to your account, so we invite you to please contact our TurboTax customer support team to assist your further.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I did eventually find the disk and code.

Perhaps TurboTax's demand for another activation was triggered by a change of internet gateway.  I originally activated TurboTax on my regular home internet (AT&T); but on Sunday, when I was doing my taxes, my home internet was not working and so my computer (the same one) was using my (AT&T) cell phone as a hotspot/gateway.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies