turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mwilde

Senior taxes new in MD

Maryland just inacted a new senior benefit over a certain age you are exempt from state taxes if under a money ceiling I thinl $150,000 for a joint return. Has anyone received any info on this, is there a certain process to follow should you notify (federal retirement) office to stop the deduction?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies

Senior taxes new in MD

If you no longer need fed/state taxes withheld from a pension then contact the pension plan administrator  to fill in a new W-4P to change the withholding. 

Senior taxes new in MD

https://governor.maryland.gov/2022/04/01/video-release-governor-hogan-enacts-largest-tax-cut-package...

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
mwilde

Senior taxes new in MD

Trying to find out what the process will be for the coming tax year ,how will county taxes be effected, etc

Senior taxes new in MD

NO, you are not "exempt" from state taxes...from the review's I've seen (like this one)

New 2022 Maryland Tax Relief Legislation Passed | SC&H Group (schgroup.com)

It only appears to be a nonrefundable MD tax credit of up to $1000 (or $1750 if MFJ and both spouses are 65 or older).  So if you normally have a MD tax liability more than $1000:$1750, you'll still owe them something.  AND, many will still have to prepare and file MD tax forms, even if the $1000:$1750 credit reduces their taxes to zero.   (Tax liability means the taxes calculated that you owe to MD.... BEFORE considering any withholding or estimated tax payments that were already paid in)

As far as your MD withholding on your pension(s) are concerned....depends on whether you normally have to pay extra to MD at tax time or not.  Certainly, if you always get a MD refund, you could have your MD withholding reduced some (assuming your 2022 income is expected to be exactly the same as 2021)

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
mitch6571

Senior taxes new in MD

Spot on. Read the bill. Simple explanation is tax credit 1000/1750 for single/mfj, for up fed adj gross income 100/150k, over 65 age. Not an adjustment to pension worksheet item. Hard limit at max income. Expires 5 years. MD budget must support but last 2 years had surpluses.

RB651

Senior taxes new in MD

The MD senior tax credit is a non-refundable credit, but TurboTax is calculating and a refundable credit.  Is there a problem with TurboTax for Maryland returns?

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

Senior taxes new in MD

No. The senior care credit is a non-refundable credit up to $1000. What line on your Form 502 are you looking at that reports this being a refundable credit? I checked my program and the credit is reported correctly in lines 24 and 26 in Form 502 as well as part M in Form 502CR. 

@RB651 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
RB651

Senior taxes new in MD

Thanks. Your input is appreciated.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies