Oregon claims I owe $ after TurboTax calculated a refund, stating "OR income tax deducted on Sched A must be subtracted from itemized deductions" - your error! Not cool!

I was told to amend my taxes, which they (a virtual CPA from TT) walked me through. I now need to set up a payment plan to return the whopping overpayment of $750. TT said they will reimburse the $22 in interest and sent me to a page where I could upload and send the letter from the Dep. of Revenue stating what I owed. The state said interest would stop accruing when they received my amendment.  It’s a huge pain. 

It may be a pain ( and it would have been easier if you took care of it earlier when alerted to the issue) but it is the way it needs to be handled.  

Critter: I’m trying to let others know how I was walked through the process and trying to be helpful. Stop trying to defend this huge error the software has made. TT seriously let down their early filing clients. Period. 

If you take a look at the instructions on how to correct the error in my other post ... which is a direct quote from the TT FAQ that was emailed ... it clearly says to call for assistance.   Whenever there is a programming error they always alert the users and always offer assistance to make the correction.  

I am not defending errors so much as explaining that  errors   happen (especially early in the tax year)  and that Intuit owns up to them and offers the correction plus assistance to fix them ...  they even offer a separate phone number to get directly to the people who understand the issue well.   

The income tax program has millions of moving parts that must work in concert seamlessly  AND add that to a massive tax law change   AND  tax form changes (both federal and state)  there are bound to be a few issues.   This is a good reason to NOT file early in the year ... holding off until mid to late February  when the bugs have been worked out is wise.   If you used the downloaded program you would see how often updates are issued to correct problems ... they happen a lot in Jan & Feb ... I think there have been 49 updates so far this year. 

2019 spoiler alert :  The tax forms have changed again which will most likely cause a few  issues again for the feds & state programs ... waiting a bit to file this year would be wise. 

@Critter   Note: the days and hours are now M-F, 5-5 Pacific Time, so no weekend access as you copy/pasted.  (I had them correct those days/hours). 

Opinion: A link to the FAQ might be better in such situations so that corrections to the original FAQ will be seen when accessed by others at any point in time.  Of course, those days/times have been somewhat wrong for months now.

@SteamTrain 

Links have a tendency to lead to dead pages so I stopped relying on them ... note taken. 

@Critter   Yep...Catch-22

the lesson learned is do not file immediately in late January.  Give it until end of February to permit any bugs to straighten themselves out in the software.

While I can see the frustration, the alternative is to use another software program, and they may have the same challenges with bugs early in the tax season, or let a human do it (either yourself or a tax preparer) which risks human error and / or higher costs.

I can understand everyone wants to file to get their refund quickly, but there are consequences of that action.  '

TT is very up front that the guarantee only covers penalties and interest when their software performs incorrectly.  It has been that way for over 25 years that I have used this product. 

I’m going to take my chances on human error. Not mine, but I’ll find a real CPA if anyone had recommendations  in Oregon.