Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mp_2009

I worked in 6 total states and turbo tax will only let me file 5 states. How am I supposed to file my 6th state return?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies

I worked in 6 total states and turbo tax will only let me file 5 states. How am I supposed to file my 6th state return?

You will have to print the 6th return and send it by mail.  Make sure you sign and date everywhere needed before you mail it.

mp_2009

So do I file the first 5 first the it'll let me do another? Because it won't even let me start the 6th one it says I have to delete one of my previous returns.

Based on the TTX software behavior for prior years....In order to file more than 5 states, you have to use the desktop software, which allows preparation of as many states as needed........and the extra state(s) has to be mail-filed. 

.....But the Desktop only used to allow e-filing of 3 states , and the rest have to be snail-mailed in.

You can transfer your file to the desktop software (Full Windows or MAC computers only) , but not sure what happens if you've already e-filed those other 5 states.

IF you've already paid for filing Fed and 5 states...Call Customer Support to see if they'll get you a free download for TTX and extra downloads for the 5 states you've already file (if you've already filed those)   But that's up to them, we have no control over what they allow in this forum.

What is the TurboTax phone number? (intuit.com)

If you haven't paid for the tax software yet, then you can just buy the desktop software (use Deluxe or higher version).  One state download is free using Deluxe or higher, but every state e-filed is an extra $25 right now.

TurboTax® 2020-2021 CD/Download Tax Software, Compare Desktop Tax Preparation (intuit.com)

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
mp_2009

Thank you for your replies! That was very helpful I'll be purchasing the desktop version since I have e-filed anything yet. Thanks again!

Be aware that in the Desktop program you get one free state program download PROGRAM.  Then you will have to BUY the 5 other state programs at $45 Each.   So that will be 45x5= $225!  

THEN each state EFILE is $25 (including the first one).  Or you can print and mail state for free.  Since you can only efile 3 states that will be another $75.

You can see the Desktop programs here, Click on 1 state download for more info.

https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/cd-download/ 

To switch to the Desktop program.

You can move your Online file to the Desktop program and continue without paying for Online or needing to reenter your info.

To continue in the desktop version see this…….

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/choosing-a-product/help/how-do-i-switch-from-turbotax-online-to-th...

After you get the program installed the first thing to do before you open your tax return .tax file is to update the program and install any state programs you had. Then open your file. So you will need to start a fake return to be able to buy and download  all the state programs you need  (go to FILE - NEW). 

@DanPaul02 wrote:

You will have to print the 6th return and send it by mail.  Make sure you sign and date everywhere needed before you mail it.

The problem with this approach is that, if you prepare one of the non-resident returns outside of Turbotax, you won't get the appropriate tax credit applied to the resident return.  The credit could be added manually using the override procedure in Turobtax Desktop version, but tax returns with overrides can't be e-filed. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies