turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How to Print / View / or submit CA Tax Return hidden in TT 2018

Dear TT,  I have used your product to file my federal and CA State returns for  2014, 2015, 2016 & 2017.    I did not buy your base product, and yes, even so, you dinged me for some additional upgrade beyond my already upscale product.   When I completed both the Federal taxes and State taxes, you offered to efile my federal return, but asked another $10 ransom to efile my CA State return with the extortioners in Sacramento to efile at the same time (your words--not mine).   I am a very poor person, and based upon my 4 prior years experience with your TT product decided I'd rather NOT  get skimmed for another fee and would either print it out and mail it, or would print it out and do an efile direct return via the CA Extortioner's website based upon the data on my printed CA Tax Forms.     However, I find now that you have completely abstracted my CA return from me and I find no way to access/see/print it, although I've run through all the menu options and you have now run your quality check process on my CA return several times.    Can you just come clean and tell me whether I unwittingly signed some agreement that forces me to be skimmed again by you in order to file the F*C$*ing  state return?  In the previous reasonable versions of your product I can (even NOW) go in and easily and quickly view and print out my CA Tax forms as filed.  There are many competing products.    I am happy to switch for next year, but having invested now hundreds of dollars of my time plus some cash for this year's federal and state extortion racket compliance ordeal with the criminals who've hi-jacked the once freest nation on earth, I would like the secret key to viewing and printing and/or efiling my CA STATE tax.  (I have already efiled the return to the Federal Thugs).   Thank you, 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
Kat
Level 15
Level 15

Hi Mangobiker,

Before I answer your question (to the best of my ability), please know that I am not a TurboTax employee.  I'm simply a user like you; I volunteer to help users if/when I can.

If you have e-filed your federal return, you'll need to wait until it has been "accepted" by the IRS before the TurboTax program will allow you to e-file or print your state return.  This is a security feature that has been in place only a few years.  Because state returns are populated based on federal information, users can no longer file state returns on a stand-alone basis prior to federal acceptance.

Please wait until your federal return has been accepted and then see if the program will allow you to proceed filing your CA return in whatever method you prefer.  

See the TurboTax FAQ below for explanation.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/e-file/help/how-do-i-e-file-my-state-after-i-already-filed-my-fede...

*** I am NOT a tax expert. I am a seasoned TurboTax user, and volunteer to provide assistance to TT users. Nothing I post is to be considered TAX ADVICE; I bear no legal liability for responses.***

Are you using the Online web version or the Desktop CD/Download program?  And Windows or Mac?  I'm using Windows Desktop program and CA is right where it always has been.

I am using the download version -- not a cloud-based version.   I did receive an email from Turbo Tax saying "Good News Your Federal Return was accepted on Aug 11."    I have traversed through all the menu items I can think of, and still see no option to submit my state return to California.

Kat
Level 15
Level 15

@Mangobiker  You may need to check the e-file status of your return from within your TurboTax Desktop program.  To do that, open your program and click on the "FILE" tab in the upper left corner of your page.  The drop-down menu has an option titled, "Electronic Filing".  If you hover over that option, you'll see the option to check your e-file status.  Select that, and the program will officially note that your federal return has been accepted by the IRS.

I'm hopeful that you can then proceed with filing your state return.  Using your "State" tab, proceed to the FILE portion.  There is an additional charge to e-file a state return using TurboTax Desktop platform, so be prepared for that.  You can always print and file by mail to avoid that additional charge.

Please post back if you continue to have difficulty.

*** I am NOT a tax expert. I am a seasoned TurboTax user, and volunteer to provide assistance to TT users. Nothing I post is to be considered TAX ADVICE; I bear no legal liability for responses.***

Dear Volvo Girl,

I have already received my federal refund--so apparently the Feds have accepted my return as valid.   I still don't see on my desktop version of Turbo Tax Home & Business how to submit my CA 2018 return to Sacramento.   If it is an easy dialog you can describe, please do!   

-Mark

Ok I tried it in my test file.  Go to the FILE tab.  It will say to efile Federal - Choose to Mail Federal.

Then the very next screen should be to mail federal and state.

File Mail1.jpgFile Mail2.jpg

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies