How do I e-file my state after I already filed my ... - Intuit Turbo Real Money Talk

EnglishEN

Pick a language

Intuit
,Created with Sketch.318 helpful votes

How do I e-file my state after I already filed my federal?

Although you can e-file your federal and state taxes together, if you choose to e-file your federal first, you'll have to wait until that return has been accepted before you can e-file your state.

If your federal hasn't been accepted, or you paper-filed it, you won't be able to e-file your state but you can always print and mail a conventional paper return.

Married filers: If you e-filed your federal using the joint married status, but you want to e-file your state returns separately, only one of you will be able to e-file. The other must paper-file their state return.

1. Sign in to TurboTax.
  2. Under Your tax returns documents, select Show, and then select 2018.
  3. Now select Add a state (this reopens your return).
  4. Select State from the menu on the left (on mobile devices, tap in the upper-left corner to open the menu).
  5. On the Let's get your state taxes done right screen, select Continue and follow the onscreen instructions.

With your return open, click the State Taxes tab near the top. This will take you to the state section and you can proceed from there.

Was this helpful?

You must sign in to vote, reply, or post
Intuit TurboTax - Finish filing and get your maximum refund, guaranteed.

Ready to Try TurboTax?

Returning? Sign in