How do I e-file my state after I already filed my ... - Community

EnglishEN

Pick a language

English Français
Intuit
,Created with Sketch.324 helpful votes

How do I e-file my state after I already filed my federal?

Although you can e-file your federal and state taxes together, if you choose to e-file your federal first, you'll have to wait until that return has been accepted before you can e-file your state.

If your federal hasn't been accepted, or you printed and mailed it, you won't be able to e-file your state but you can print and mail a paper return.

Married filers: If you e-filed your federal using the joint married status, but you want to e-file your state returns separately, only one of you will be able to e-file. The other must paper-file their state return.

1. Sign in to TurboTax.
  2. Under Your tax returns & documents, select Show, and then select 2019.
  3. Now select Add a state (this reopens your return).
  4. Select State from the left menu (on mobile devices, tap in the upper-left corner to open the menu).
  5. On the Let's get your state taxes done right screen, select Continue and follow the instructions.

With your return open, select the State Taxes tab near the top. This will take you to the state section and you can proceed from there.

Was this helpful?

You must sign in to vote, reply, or post