turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Oregon claims I owe $ after TurboTax calculated a refund, stating "OR income tax deducted on Sched A must be subtracted from itemized deductions" - your error! Not cool!

@Critter   Note: the days and hours are now M-F, 5-5 Pacific Time, so no weekend access as you copy/pasted.  (I had them correct those days/hours). 

Opinion: A link to the FAQ might be better in such situations so that corrections to the original FAQ will be seen when accessed by others at any point in time.  Of course, those days/times have been somewhat wrong for months now.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

Oregon claims I owe $ after TurboTax calculated a refund, stating "OR income tax deducted on Sched A must be subtracted from itemized deductions" - your error! Not cool!

@SteamTrain 

Links have a tendency to lead to dead pages so I stopped relying on them ... note taken. 

@Critter   Yep...Catch-22

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

the lesson learned is do not file immediately in late January.  Give it until end of February to permit any bugs to straighten themselves out in the software.

While I can see the frustration, the alternative is to use another software program, and they may have the same challenges with bugs early in the tax season, or let a human do it (either yourself or a tax preparer) which risks human error and / or higher costs.

I can understand everyone wants to file to get their refund quickly, but there are consequences of that action.  '

TT is very up front that the guarantee only covers penalties and interest when their software performs incorrectly.  It has been that way for over 25 years that I have used this product. 

I’m going to take my chances on human error. Not mine, but I’ll find a real CPA if anyone had recommendations  in Oregon. 

in this case the 'damages' are the penalties and interest.  Have you filed a claim? are they paying it? If not, curious why not.  

The 'cost of the blender' which in this case is the taxes due themselves, you still would have paid for, even if the damages were paid.   the TT guarantee has worked like this for over 25 years 

lastly, while I see your point, the IRS didn't finalize the forms to reflect the new tax law until August, 2018, which means Intuit had just three months (until November) and not nine months until the first version of their software was released to their customers. 

Maybe TT should go back to the pre-internet days?  Back in the 1990's, TT would MAIL a preliminary disk for Federal - no state - in December.    Then it would send a final disk via MAIL with the final federal forms and the state forms - no changes occurred after that in late January / early February.  But I don't think customers would appreciate that approach, hence there are weekly updates and better to not be the 'early bird to get the worm' - especially in a year where there were significant federal and state tax changes.     

I just got slapped with a $700+ bill  bc Turbotax screwed up my tax return.  And I can't talk to someone at Turbo tax bc I filed for free and only paid customers get to talk to a human.  This is their mistake!  I shouldn't have to pay them for the privilege of talking to them to ask them to fix it.  I am so mad right now!  I didn't even get my tax return, bc my student loans garnished it. 

Same here.

I talked to the Department of Revenue yesterday, 11/15/19, and they stated that after receiving the assessment letter you can go online to setup a payment plan. They stated that if you try to extend your payment plan past 12 months it will be denied. I haven't received my assessment yet so we'll see. I also haven't tried to claim the $23.66 in interest from Intuit yet either. I'm going to wait until I have the payment plan in place. I suppose Oregon was gracious enough to waive the penalty because of all the people that were affected. I asked the DOR if I could just pay the tax due out of my refund for this year and they said that wages would be garnished before then. Yay! NOT! Gee thanks TurboTax! Never again!

Of course, the fact that TurboTax alerted users to the issue in early February and issued instructions to fix it timely by email to all those affected seems to be totally forgotten by posters on this site. There have been issues in the past resolved the same way that have not gotten such attention. Failure of the user to read the email cannot be a TurboTax error.   And this  was an issue the state did not catch either when it approved the Efile system ...as stated before if you write the state the penalties & interest can be waived. 

See this TurboTax support FAQ for Oregon and a toll free phone number - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/amending/help/oregon-schedule-or-a-amend-instructions/01/27588

USER BEWARE !!!!!

First you should NEVER file early to avoid the inevitable bugs in the early versions.  Next they corrected the error as soon as they new of it AND alerted anyone affected by email and included the instructions on how to fix the error and they did it with plenty of time to make the corrections so you would not incur penalties.   Before you file you have to confirm your email address  so in cases like these you can be notified.   The fact that you did not view the email  or that the email went into your spam folder is not a TT error.  

Last ... now that you know of the error the taxes were always yours to pay ... so if you got too big a refund you have to pay back the excess.  Also if you contact the state and tell them you were part of this TT issue the penalties and interest on the original notice can be waived ... all you have to do is ask.  Read the instructions in the link in the other post.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies