Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I live in Georgia but my pay comes from Florida do I need to file a Georgia state return?

I end up being taxed twice on the same money.
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I live in Georgia but my pay comes from Florida do I need to file a Georgia state return?

If you are  a full year resident of Georgia you are taxed on all income regardless of the source or where derived. This requirement applies as long as your legal residence is Georgia, even if you are absent or live outside the State temporarily.A credit for taxes paid to another State is allowed. Since Florida doesn't tax you this wouldn't apply. If you lived in Georgia and worked in a State with a State income tax you would pay tax to that state and receive a credit on the Georgia return.

View solution in original post

12 Replies

Not sure what you mean ... Florida doesn't have a state income tax ... so you only pay the Feds & GA.
bwa
Alumni
Alumni

In what state are you physically located in when you perform services for the FL employer?

Wages are from Florida but live in ga

Your wages are not being taxed by Florida--there is no state income tax in Florida.
**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

If you are  a full year resident of Georgia you are taxed on all income regardless of the source or where derived. This requirement applies as long as your legal residence is Georgia, even if you are absent or live outside the State temporarily.A credit for taxes paid to another State is allowed. Since Florida doesn't tax you this wouldn't apply. If you lived in Georgia and worked in a State with a State income tax you would pay tax to that state and receive a credit on the Georgia return.

tann2

What about a part time resident? My son was mostly a resident of Florida in 2020, moving back to Georgia only in late October 2020. When the pandemic began, his job had to close and he received unemployment benefits while still living in Florida. After being offered a job, he moved back to Georgia in late October. When completing his 2020 taxes on turbotax, it shows his Florida unemployment as Georgia Income. Is this right? It seems as if Georgia is taxing him on that. 

@tann2 wrote:

What about a part time resident? My son was mostly a resident of Florida in 2020, moving back to Georgia only in late October 2020. When the pandemic began, his job had to close and he received unemployment benefits while still living in Florida. After being offered a job, he moved back to Georgia in late October. When completing his 2020 taxes on turbotax, it shows his Florida unemployment as Georgia Income. Is this right? It seems as if Georgia is taxing him on that. 

He should have indicated in the My Info section that he was a Georgia resident.  And then indicated that he lived in another state and made money in another state.  The other state should be Florida.

In the Georgia program he is asked again for his dates of residency since he was a pert year resident.  He would be only taxed on the income he made while a Georgia resident.

Go back and correct the information in My Info if needed.  And then go back through the Georgia state program.  When asked if he was a full year resident the answer should be NO.

tann2

Got it. Thanks!!! 🙂

Moo109

I live in Georgia and work in Georgia.  Company that pays me are located in Florida.  Are they required to take ga state tax from my check?

Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

You, personally, are required to pay the taxes to the state of GA.  The company you work for can take them out and pay them to GA, but this is not a requirement.  If they don't, then it is your responsibility to make quarterly payments to pay your state taxes. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

How do I do that? And how would I fix that if I was told to amend my taxes

@Hailey4812 wrote:

How do I do that? And how would I fix that if I was told to amend my taxes

How do you do what?  This thread has posts from the past five years so you need to be specific.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies