Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can't add my free downloaded state to my return

I cannot access my selected state tax software. I go to the state tax section and click on Start and a window opens for my state purchase. I click on my free state and click Download Now. A window opens and it says getting your software and concludes with a window telling me my software is up to date. I click OK and I am back at the Start button. I click Start and it just goes through the previous sequence again. It does this every time I try to start my state return. I even removed TurboTax 2023 deluxe from my computer and re-downloaded it, same thing happens. My state is Nebraska. I have high-speed internet with a reliable connection, so that is not the issue.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

20 Replies

Many of the state forms have not yet been finalized so they are not available for download.

Nebraska forms and schedules should be available 01/25/2024.

Go to this TurboTax website for forms availability - https://form-status.app.intuit.com/tax-forms-availability/formsavailability?albRedirect=true&product...

Thank you! The state itself is supposedly downloaded, availability just a day or two ago. What it won't do is add the state that is supposedly downloaded to add to my return. Many of the federal forms aren't finalized either, but I can still access basic input info for them.2023 NE add TurboTax snafu.jpg

@marysk 

@marysk wrote:

Thank you! The state itself is supposedly downloaded, availability just a day or two ago. What it won't do is add the state that is supposedly downloaded to add to my return. Many of the federal forms aren't finalized either, but I can still access basic input info for them."

________

True BUT, state forms tend to operate differently.  For many states, the forms just won't download until later and the software indicating they can be downloaded now is just wrong....and a few states that do download (MO is one) are using the wrong % tax rate for that state.   Certainly, a state that has zero changes to their forms, "might" be allowed to download early.....but apparently NOT NE.

One year NC downloaded early, but the $$ went into a bunch of line numbers from the prior year's forms...and those were the wrong lines since the forms had changed...so all the state calculations were screwed up.

Certainly you can check every Friday for a state download again in case they release it, but uninstalling/reinstalling yoru main software won't help.  IF the NE forms do download early, don't trust them one little bit until several updates have been done thru late February.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

Yes, there is a problem with the TTX software "Telling you that the state is available" in the first place.

The software fix is to have TTX engineers correct their software to tell you that your state is not available to you at this time.

The vast majority of state software sets will not be available until well into January of 2024.....

Check here to see when yours is "expected" to be available (no promises):

Intuit App

_____

If your state downloads earlier...it will likely be last year's forms and be full of bugs...

MJV
Level 2

I'm having the same problem, and I have used TurboTax for 20+ years. I have always been able to download the Nebraska state tax before December of the tax year.  There is a problem and I wish Turbo Tax Tech people would look into it and get it fixed.  If there is no problem and we have to wait until January 24, 2024, then I will be looking another tax software.

Update: Nebraska installed successfully with the latest TurboTax software update. Some state forms aren't yet available, but I can at least enter info. 

Annklx1

I understand that the state software might not yet be available, but then the software should STATE that rather than taking us through these steps. Earlier when I tried to access my state (WI) it was telling me it wouldn't be available until December 21st. Then after December 21st it took me through the steps to download, and it said "getting my state" and then "your software is up to date". It should have been updated to say it wouldn't be available until January.  It is confusing and frustrating.  

Well it would be nice if the program would work perfectly however it will not until later next month so all you can do is wait.  

Yes, there is a problem with the TTX software "Telling you that the state is available" in the first place.

The software fix is to have TTX engineers correct their software to tell you that your state is not available to you at this time.

The vast majority of state software sets will not be available until well into January of 2024.....

Check here to see when yours is "expected" to be available (no promises):

Intuit App

_____

If your state downloads earlier...it will likely be last year's forms and be full of bugs...

I am having the same problem. Downloaded two states, paid for them and now I cannot access them. Same scenario as earlier post. It tells my that I have successfully downloaded state and that software is up

-date but cannot access the state return.

@Jeandelville 

Correct...depending on the state, they may be available by Friday...or a Week later, or a week (or two) after that.

Effectively, you just have to wait until TTX software folks actually make them available......and none will be ready before 4-5 January  (they seem to say a few states will be ready 4 Jan, but 11:59PM is still 4 Jan)

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

I have the same problem w/ Pennsylvania. TT indicates on another page that PA forms are not available until 1/4 (tomorrow). I'm guessing this behavior is just poor programming: a "not available" error message is needed. You don't get much for your $$ these days. 

My  download is doing the same.

Sorry——TurboTax is not doing an adequate job of letting users know that few—if any—state programs are ready yet, and that many states themselves do not have their forms ready.   You can check here for when you will have a better chance of completing your state return.   The dates are subject to change.

Tax form availability tool,

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
jzukaus

I cannot access my selected state tax software. I go to the state tax section and click on Start and a window opens for my state purchase. I click on my free state and click Download Now. A window opens and it says getting your software and concludes with a window telling me my software is up to date. I click OK and I am back at the Start button. I click Start and it just goes through the previous sequence again. It does this every time I try to start my state return. I even removed TurboTax 2023 deluxe from my computer and re-downloaded it, same thing happens. My state is Wisconsin. I have high-speed internet with a reliable connection, so that is not the issue.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies