Amending 2019 State tax return using TurboTax app ...

sgupta13

Amending 2019 State tax return using TurboTax app on macOS

I filed Federal and State tax returns at different times.

August 2020: filed 2019 Federal using TurboTax website

December 2020: filed 2019 Indiana State tax using TurboTax macOS app (because the website was updated for 2020 season and wasn't accepting 2019)

Both returns have been accepted and I got both refunds. 

Problem: I forgot to add one 1099-MISC form (photo attached). I can amend federal on the website (using "Amend 2019"), but how do I amend State tax return? I no longer have my macbook. The website doesn't have my 2019 State tax information. I do have the "TurboTaxReturn.tax2019" file. 

1099-MISC.png

macuser_22

2019 and earlier can only be amended with TurboTax using the CD/download version installed on a PC or Mac computer.

2019 amended Federal returns can either be e-filed or mailed. 2018 and earlier amended returns can only be mailed. It is suggested that it be mailed certified with return receipt (or other tracking service) to verify that the IRS or state receives it.

See this TurboTax FAQ for detailed amend instructions:
https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1894381-how-to-amend-change-or-correct-a-return-you-already-filed

-- Amended returns can only be mailed - allow 8-12 weeks - can take up to 16 weeks (4 months) for processing.

You can check the status of the amended return here, but allow 3 weeks after mailing.

https://www.irs.gov/filing/wheres-my-amended-return

sgupta13

Hi @macuser_22 

"2019 and earlier can only be amended with TurboTax using the CD/download version installed on a PC or Mac computer" -- I think that's not true. I can see option to amend my tax return on website. Are you talking specifically for my case? Should I do federal from website and state from CD/download version? 

My federal info is in website but state info is not. What should I do? 

macuser_22

@sgupta13 wrote:

Hi @macuser_22 

Only *2020* returns can only be amended online.    The website is only for 2020 tax returns.  

You could NOT file a 2019 state return in 2020 using the website.   If you tried to add a state online and entered 2019 data into it then you filed 2020 state return using 2019 information.   You will need to amend the 2020 state and remove the 2019 data and include 2020 data.

sgupta13

@macuser_22  "Only *2020* returns can only be amended online." -- that's not true. See attached screenshot. I am more confused than before. Why are you saying that only 2020 can be amended online? See attached screenshot. 

I want to know: how to amend 2019 federal and 2019 state? I did 2019 federal online and 2019 state using macOS app. Please state it clearly.  

Screen Shot 2021-04-17 at 7.51.29 PM.png

macuser_22

That must be something new.