TurboTax HelpTurboTax HelpIntuit

How do I amend my 2020 return?

SOLVEDby TurboTaxTurboTax Online10527Updated 1 month ago

First, make sure you really need to amend and that your 2020 return was accepted in TurboTax Online or paper-filed through the mail. You can't amend a return that hasn't been filed yet.

You can e-file your 2020 amended federal tax return, but most states require amendments to be printed and filed by mail. We'll give you instructions for your specific situation.

When you're ready to amend, select your product below and follow the instructions.

1. Sign in to TurboTax
  2. Scroll down to Your tax returns and documents, select 2020, then Amend (change) your return
    • If you only see the option to amend 2019 or earlier, it's because you can't amend an unfiled 2020 return. Instead, select Pick up where you left off so you can make any changes before you file
  3. Carefully follow the instructions to amend
  1. Open TurboTax
  2. Select Amend a filed return
  3. Select the return you wish to amend and follow the instructions to make your changes
  4. Make a copy of your return by selecting Save As (Mac: select Duplicate) from the File menu so your originally-filed return is preserved
    1. Name the copy to distinguish it from the original, like 2020 Amended Smith B Form 1040 Return
  5. Back inside TurboTax, search for amend and then select the Jump to link
  6. Select Continue on the We'll help you change (amend) your return screen
  7. On the Did you already file your return? screen select Yes, I've already filed my return and then select I need to amend my 2020 return
  8. Select Continue and then carefully follow the instructions to amend

Don't worry if your refund changes to $0. This is normal for amended returns.

You can start tracking your amended federal return at the IRS Where's My Amended Return? site three weeks after mailing it. Allow at least 16 weeks for the IRS to process your amended return.

Processing times for amended state returns vary from state to state. If it's been more than 12 weeks since you mailed your amended state return and you haven't heard anything, we suggest you contact your state tax agency.

Was this helpful?

You must sign in to vote, reply, or post
TurboTax Online