Amending a 2018, 2017, 2016, or 2015 state return is very similar to amending a prior-year federal return. Here are some tips:
- If you're amending a 2018 return you originally prepared in TurboTax Online, you can amend it online by signing in to TurboTax.
- Be sure to download and install the appropriate state software.
- For example, to amend your 2017 California return, download and install the 2017 TurboTax California state software.
- The amendment software that we offer to prior-year TurboTax Online customers includes 1 free state download. Contact us if you need to download additional states that you paid for when you originally filed.
- TurboTax state programs vary in amendment instructions, but you'll either find the amendment option at the beginning or close to the end.
- The state program doesn't function as a standalone product. Even if you only need to amend your state return (not the federal), install the federal program for the corresponding tax year.
- If the change originates on the federal return (for example, you need to add or change your W-2 information), amend your federal return before amending your state. This carries the information over into your state return.