turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Why did Turbotax put $1200 on my 2020 Line 30?

During my Stimulas Payments Review with Turbotax, I was asked if I received 2 $1200 dollar payments. I said Yes to both questions because I received $2400 in 2020. Turbotax put $1200 on Line 30 of my 2020 filing. Why did it do that?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Don't amend for that.  We don't know how the IRS will work it out yet.  They should know you got the second one and take it off your return line 30.  They won't open filing until Feb 12 so we all have to wait and see how they handle it.  Keep us posted if they reduce your refund for it.

View solution in original post

39 Replies

There are 2 Stimulus payments.  The first round was 1200 each for 2400.  The second round is 600 each for 1,200.  Sounds like you didn't get the second payment yet.

The Stimulus Checks are really based on your 2020 return we are filing in 2021.  So any amount you already got will be reconciled on your 2020 return line 30.  If you didn't get a Stimulus Check (and qualify) or you qualify for more it will be added to your 2020 return.  But the good news is if they paid you too much they won't take it back.

When you go through the federal review tab it will ask how much you got if any.  Or to enter your stimulus payment in TurboTax, type "stimulus" (without the quotes) in the Search box, then click the link that says "Jump to stimulus."

I received $2400 in 2020.

Turbotax asked me if I received 2 $1200 payments in 2020.

I said yes to both questions.

I also received $1200 on January 4th of 2021.

I'm expecting to report the receipt of that $1200 when I do my 2021 taxes.

Turbotax still put $1200 on Line 30, and added it to my refund for 2020.

Now I'm getting $1200 more on my refund, and that's incorrect.

So, now I'm expecting the IRS to REJECT my e-file, and force to re-file. Which is going to delay my refund for months.

The Turbotax form should have asked me if I received $2400 in 2020 because I file a joint return (with my wife).

Instead, it asked me about 2 $1200 payments, which I received as 1 payment in 2020.

While I said I received two payments in 2020 (which totals $2400), I missed the Line 30 addition of $1200 to my 2020 refund. 

So, that's what I'm dealing with.

Turbotax knew that I was filing a joint return. The stimulas review didn't have that information apparently. That's a Turbotax problem, don't you think?

You need to add the 1200 you already got in 2021 now.  Go back and add it.

The year you got it doesn't matter.  If you don't report it Turbo Tax will give it to you again, which would be wrong and double.

I hear what you're saying.

When I amend my e-file (assuming the IRS rejects my original 2020 e-file), I'm wondering how I should input the information that I have already received $3600 in 2020-2021 from the stimulas program?

Should I enter ($1200.00) in Box 30?

Or  - (minus) $1200.00 in Box 30?

Since entering that information is based on a Yes or No answer to Turbotax's questions, how and when can I enter the correct dollar amount to Line 30?

Since you said that I can keep the extra $1200 Turbotax told the IRS to send me, when I do my 2021 taxes, what would you suggest I do to return the government's money ($1200? $2400?) to them?

Thanks for your input, I really appreciate it.

Don't amend for that.  We don't know how the IRS will work it out yet.  They should know you got the second one and take it off your return line 30.  They won't open filing until Feb 12 so we all have to wait and see how they handle it.  Keep us posted if they reduce your refund for it.

Let's hope they do that.

I will.

I just called IRS and they said that line 30 will be deducted from my refund. Even though I marked that I received both stimulus. Turbotax is telling me I have to amend my taxes and the form to amend won't be available until march 25. I am so angry. Will not be using them again after 7 years of using turbo tax. 

Stimulus payments were based on 2019 income tax returns as an advance on 2020 tax credits.  Your situation may have changed in 2020, so that what you received was incorrect (either too much or too little).  Is that the case?

I also had the same problem, when they ask me did I receive the first and second stimulus check, I said yes and now on line 30 is written 1200$, I can't understand why, and I don't want to go into trouble for TurboTax mistake

DMarkM1
Employee Tax Expert

There will not be any IRS trouble due to a mistake with stimulus payments on your 2020 tax return.  The IRS will make any necessary corrections in that topic and notify you of the changes.  See question G2 here.

Due to the timing of the stimulus payments and tax filing season this is a very common experience.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

did the same thing to me. i have been so stressed out. thinking they wont send 3rd stimulus if reporting i didn't get the others. i know i answered correctly. i think turbo tax wants us to pay to fix it, thats what they told me on the phone. you have the free edition we can only fix it if you pay $40. i have been pissed. They made us look like liars to the irs. real **bleep**ty turbo tax

i was thinking i was the only one this happened to. But it is delaying refund and i am flat broke. no stim 3 yet because direct deposit is on that tax refund and its not going thru

Me neither, i hope they find out - i will call and tell them. i have the time to sit on the phone. Also tell them it wasn't just me but a few others that used tt. i am pretty sure i am done with this b.s.

I message TurboTax and they told me that they can't make any adjustment, can you let me know what they will tell you? I didn't receive my 3rd stimulus yet

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies