turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Why did Turbotax put $1200 on my 2020 Line 30?

You are correct. I wrote a couple paragraphs and i did not want to send all that to say thank you. This would not have happened if i had proof read tax forms. Complain or blame all day. Best answer and i glad you sent it. Have a good day.

i did get to talk to irs agent.it puts tax refund review in a ten week delay it all ready been 8 weeks. They will review and fix the errors, if they need any information from you they will send a lettter. i am pretty sure i cleared up the fact i did receive stimulus but somehow it was reported gthat i did not. they will just subteact that from your taxes and you will receive your refund minus the stimulus you did receive. if you need number how to get an agent let me know. Its amess but they figure its going to happen when stimulus is new to tax information. it seem like it was done on purpose. they will fix it they were expecting some mistakes with neww information. just wanted to let you know. And if taxes havent been processed they have nothing to do with third stimulus check.

so with it being a mistake- that many have made they will adjust it, and send you a letter expaining the need to fix, you will get your refund. if you didn't get your stimulus they will research and fix.

@DawnC 

Bruh. All you people do is copy and paste **bleep** from the customer-facing, FAQs and support site. Do you seriously think that we can't find some bull**bleep**, automaton, pushback response ourselves? 

See, the fact of the matter is that you and the rest of the TT staff and tax prep agents give responses like this, STILL implying that the original mistake was user error. Maybe it's just me, but when I use a **bleep**ing MACHINE, with INTELLIGENCE that has a certain SOFTWARE that was specifically CREATED, CODED and PROGRAMMED to take all of the information that is input into the software, and CALCULATE that information ACCORDINGLY and apply that information to it's proper corresponding line 8n order to make filing "seemless, easy, fast and accurate", my first thought isn't normally, "Hey, I should double check this computer and softwares math and make sure everything is how it ALREADY SHOULD BE." I would simply file myself, without the migraine of using TTs inaccurate software or those terrible prepaid cards TT offers. 

However, I now have the foresight to know better than to ever use or trust TurboTax, or other related software and tax prep agents/agencies, in the future.

I will NOT thank you personally OR TurboTax as this has been one of the single most terrible experiences I've ever had with ANY company or tax related software. 

totally agree. if i would have taken my tax forms in somewhere they go over your tax return with, so you understand how you get your refund amount. if i would have printed and read before i signed and sent i would have notice where this extra money was coming from. Valueable lesson. i know you should always reread before you sign important documents. Thisnking w-2 is so easy i trusted TT to get it right. this has cost me more stress than my return was worth. but yea, 1.) read all that has to do with your money. I am sure i know where it went wrong but i did not think turbo would                                                                                                                                                                                    just send it.  when the $600 came up for stim 2, i had a closed bank account and before they updated they said if you did not receive it just file on your 2020 taxes. they said bank will reject it and we do not have the time to re-issue these payments. so i started to file end of januaryi did not finish i had w-2s coming in that were not here. Now at this time irs ran into trouble with turbo and turbo visa cards. Thats when the irs put out a statement saying if your stimulus 2 went to a closed account we will re-issue and mail your check. i did receive it by mail. so when i went back to turbo , i swear i told it i hadd RECEIVE stimulus 2. Then they asked did i receive stim 1 i know i said yes i received my money. maybe i needed glasses. Me and a few hundred other people had mistake - unknowingly had this mistake. i found out when i went digging for similiar situations. And not surprised alot of people had stimulus on line 30 meaning you were trying to claim it a second time. i make very little money. tying up my tiny tax refund and then worrying was i going to get no. 3 because of a mistake on my 2020 refund. That will be my last mistake.... tough lesson- i will never forget this one. Did call irs today, got some answers so. i will not trash TT but way too many had this problem and swears they were only reporting getting stim and stim 2. not lying about it and waiting for a fat check......... sorry about short novel this has been a nightmare, my hair has been falling out thank to the bs and the stress it brought...........................

@sherlynn02 

False. 

First of all, letting the IRS "correct the error" is naive and is far more complicated than simply "fixing the mistake". There is a labyrinth of red tape, procedures and regulations they have to follow in order to get your return sent to the errors and corrections department. Additionally, once it isn't in the errors and corrections department it is out of the hands of the agents you can contact at the IRS. At that point the only contact they have with that department is by submitting a written request to check on the status of that return. Simply submitting that request and waiting for the errors and corrections department to receive that and respond to it could take 10 weeks or more.

Secondly, I have recently learned that if you still have no update about the 3rd EIP (stimulus check) there is absolutely nothing the IRS can do for you. All you can do is wait. 

Source: IRS.gov

"If you don't receive the third Economic Impact Payment or additional payment, or received less than the full amounts this year, you may be eligible to claim the 2021 Recovery Rebate Credit. If you are eligible for the 2021 Recovery Rebate Credit you must file a 2021 tax return next year to claim it."

So if you don't get one before the end of the year, all you can do is what people are doing this year and claiming the Recovery Rebate for 2021. 

JEN1982

I think a lot of people are having an issue similar to mine. I entered the amounts of stimulus I received and my tax program automatically entered a rebate amount in error. The amounts of stimulus I received were correct and accurate, so I can't understand why the program entered that I was owed a rebate. I've now been waiting 3 months for my tax return and there's nothing I can do. I've talked to irs employees several times and all I can do is continue waiting. As a single mother I desperately need that money. I paid to have my taxes calculated and efiled correctly.... not for tax "experts" to make errors on my return leaving me broke and wondering if I'll ever get the money I worked all year for. 

JEN1982

Same thing happened to me. I've now been waiting 3 months for my return. Irs employees say there's nothing they can do....I just have to keep waiting. I'm so pissed off. I paid for a service and they really screwed me over! 

Mmerc

Same thing happened to me. Causes them to deduct it from my refund and loose my child tax credit and nobody could explain anything..IRS or turbo tax

Grady2021

I would like to file a complaint. I would like the $27.84 interest I'm being charged for the incorrect amount. I will not use TurboTax again unless, I get answers.

Karla 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies