turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Cdansby12

Tax Year Prior to 2020: Why can’t I enter my 1099-R? And do I even have to if there were no taxes withheld?

I need someone to contact me [phone number removed]

Vanessa A
Employee Tax Expert

Tax Year Prior to 2020: Why can’t I enter my 1099-R? And do I even have to if there were no taxes withheld?

Click the following to enter your 1099-R:

• Federal
  • Wages and Income
  • Scroll down and click Show More next to Retirement Plans and Social Security
  • Start next to IRA, 401K, Pension Plans (1099-R)

As to whether or not you have to enter it, that depends on your income.  If you have enough income that you are required to file a return, then yes, you will need to enter the 1099-R.  Retirement income is generally taxable by the IRS.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Mrty50

I entered all my info from my 1099R from dept of defense.  Not it is wuesyioning me about gains and withdrawal.  I get a monthly check from military retirement 

Mrty50

Not helping 

AmyC
Expert Alumni

A monthly check means you are on regular pension plan and that RMD is covered.

I am trying to import my 1099-R TIAA $$$ for 2021. I have done it for years, but I can't figure out how to do it today. I purchased TurboTax Deluxe 2021, is that able to do that or should I have purchased a more expensive version? Thanks, Denise Dowell

@DeniJaye wrote:

I am trying to import my 1099-R TIAA $$$ for 2021. I have done it for years, but I can't figure out how to do it today. I purchased TurboTax Deluxe 2021, is that able to do that or should I have purchased a more expensive version? Thanks, Denise Dowell

Why can't you do it?

Go to the 1099-R section and select import and then select TIAA - it is listed 3 times for different types of accounts.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

Don't enter the bank or broker name and don't try to import it.  It should be just as fast and easy to manually enter it.  At the bottom pick -  Change How I enter my Form

Then on the next screen pick I'll Type it in Myself

Enter a 1099R under

Federal Taxes Tab or Personal (Home & Business)

Wages & Income at the top

Then scroll way down to Retirement Plans and Social Security,

Then IRA, 401(k), Pension Plans (1099R) - click Start or Revisit

If you are filing a Joint return be sure to pick which person it is for.

Sorry to be so dense, I have done this many years and am stumped why I am having such a hard time importing 1099R this year.  What do you mean by  "Go to the 1099-R section and select import and then select TIAA - it is listed 3 times for different types of accounts".  I am in turbotax now and go to Form 1099R and it choose one of my last year's form. My options seem to be Print, Delete Form, Close Form. I do not see any import option. Thanks so much for helping.

MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

Yes, you have to enter your 1099-R into your tax return.  The IRS does document matching,  and they have a copy, too.  The income in Box 1, Distributions, may be taxable, whether your form shows any Federal Tax withheld or not. 

The easiest and most error-free way to do this is to type it manually yourself from the 1099-R you have received.  You are in FORMS mode now, so click on 'Step by Step' in the upper right corner. 

Then, in the Search Area (magnifying glass near top right), type '1099-R', then click on the blue 'Jump to 1099-r'.

If you have no other 1099-R's entered, choose 'Add a Form 1099-R'.  Then choose 'I'll type it in myself' and Continue. 

Type the data into the entry fields in TurboTax as shown on your 1099-R. 

Click this link for more info on How to Enter 1099-R

@DeniJaye wrote:

Sorry to be so dense, I have done this many years and am stumped why I am having such a hard time importing 1099R this year.  What do you mean by  "Go to the 1099-R section and select import and then select TIAA - it is listed 3 times for different types of accounts".  I am in turbotax now and go to Form 1099R and it choose one of my last year's form. My options seem to be Print, Delete Form, Close Form. I do not see any import option. Thanks so much for helping.

To import it is a new 1099-R form.   You need to delete last years form.

Screen Shot 2022-02-02 at 3.18.06 PM.jpg

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

@DeniJaye   You seem to be in the Forms Mode.  You need to be in the Step by Step interview mode.   Are you on Windows? Click on Step in the upper right.  

Then.......The easiest way to get to the 1099-R entry screen is to simply search for 1099-R (upper- or lower-case, with or without the dash) in your TurboTax program and then click the "Jump to" link in the search results.

Enter a 1099R under

Federal Taxes Tab or Personal (Home & Business)

Wages & Income at the top

Then scroll way down to Retirement Plans and Social Security,

Then IRA, 401(k), Pension Plans (1099R) - click Start or Revisit

If you are filing a Joint return be sure to pick which person it is for.

Don't enter the bank or broker name and don't try to import it.  It is just as fast and easy to manually enter it.  At the bottom pick -  Change How I enter my Form

Then on the next screen pick I'll Type it in Myself

Matibenn

Need help 

@Matibenn  This is a long thread.  What do you need help with?

I have a paper 1041-r.  When I try to do a manual entry ('I'll type it in myself'), the software does not bring up a form to do so.  How do I enter the data if there is no form?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies