Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Tax Year Prior to 2020: Why can’t I enter my 1099-R? And do I even have to if there were no taxes withheld?

Yes, it is on 1099-R. Pretty straight forward. I already paid most of the income tax on it before distribution (Florida State requirement). As I said, the tax amount was adjusted while I was filing my return on Turbo Tax. Everything looked correct and then the message showed, in regard to the upgrade needed. That's why I was so confused

BillM223
Expert Alumni

Tax Year Prior to 2020: Why can’t I enter my 1099-R? And do I even have to if there were no taxes withheld?

To be clear, the withholding on your 1099-R is not "tax that you have paid"; It is money that has been set aside to eventually apply to the tax due if and when you complete your return.

The actual tax owed from the income on the 1099-R may be more or less than the amount that was withheld.

As Dawn suggested, there may be something else that causing the request for the upgrade. Please look at this page showing tax forms supported in each (Online) product and see if something jumps out at you. 

Note that I can't be sure because I cannot see your tax data, but you may qualify for the IRS Free File program by TurboTax.

TurboTax does participate in the IRS Free File program. See this link for more information.

Note that this is at a different URL than the Free Edition product by TurboTax.

If you have already started your return in Free Edition and want to switch to IRS Free File by TurboTax, please see the link at the bottom of the screen above that reads (or click here) "How do I switch to IRS Free File Program delivered by TurboTax?"

Note that you may not qualify for the IRS Free File program. You can read about eligibility at the link at the top of this answer.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Smartkat61
Returning Member

I can't get past the pick institution part

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

Here is the best method for entering your 1099R and get past the pick institution part.

1. Log into turbo tax 
  2. Go to federal>income and expenses
  3. Retirement plans and Social Security>show more 
  4. Ira (401K), pension plan Withdrawals(1099R) Start
  5. When it asks Let's import your tax info indicate that you wish to change how you enter the form.
  6. Next question asks How do you want to add your 1099‑R? you can indicate that you will type it in yourself.
  7. Then it asks Who gave you a 1099-R? Here you would mention it's from a financial institution.
  8. Next screen will allow you to enter the 1099-R exactly the way it is listed on the form.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Not in search for “Jump to Link “ pop up, ( taxes 2020).

Yes, if you've received form 1099-R, you will need to enter it into your tax return regardless of whether any taxes were withheld.  Keep in mind, if you received the 1099-R, so did the IRS, and your tax return could be flagged for audit if it doesn't appear.

Here is a TurboTax article about form 1099-R.

To complete form 1099 R, follow these steps:

@bgx4731

1. Sign into your TurboTax account
  2. Click on Search in the upper right corner next to the magnifying glass
  3. Type 1099R
  4. Click the Jump To link in the search results
  5. Click Edit 

When I go to enter the payre for my 1099-R the annuity name doesn't populate and it says there is no such entity.  Both of my 1099-Rs are large companies...any suggestions?

Don't enter the bank or broker name and don't try to import it.  It is just as fast and easy to manually enter it.  At the bottom pick -  Change How I enter my Form

Then on the next screen pick I'll Type it in Myself

Why can't I enter my 1099-r

Oh

ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

Yes, you must report all your income.

You'll get a 1099-R if you received $10 or more from a retirement plan. Here's how to enter your 1099-R in TurboTax:

1. Open (continue) return if you don't already have it open.
  2. Inside TurboTax, search for 1099-R and select the Jump to link in the search results.
  3. Answer Yes on the Did you get a 1099-R? screen.
    • If you land on the Your 1099-R Entries screen instead, select Add Another 1099-R.
  4. Select which option matches your form and Continue.
  5. You can import your form directly from your financial institution by searching or selecting yours from one of the options on the screen. You'll be prompted to enter your financial institution account information, and TurboTax will directly import your forms.
    • If you prefer to type it in yourself, select Change how I enter my form and continue through.

CardinalSP
Returning Member

I have encountered the same problem.  I have a 1099-R form from my bank but TurboTax will not allow me to input the information.  When I click on update to add information related to an IRA distribution the program posts a message thanking me for starting my taxes early (its April?) and states that the IRS is still working on finishing up the 1099-R form.  This can't be true.  I have updated my program twice (with confirmation in my update log) within the last couple of hours and but the message continues.  I'm using a CD in a PC.  I would like to file my taxes but won't until I can get this information included.  Is there something else I should be doing?

If your program says it's up to date or you can't update it then do the Manual Update.  

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/updating/help/manually-update-turbotax-for-windows-software-basic-...

Sounds like the update is hung.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/updating/help/what-is-a-manual-update/01/26074?search-action-id=15...

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

I have a 1099-R form that I want to submit manually I don't have a sign-in to the financial institution because I chose not to establish it. Is there any way I can do this? 

Also there is canadian union pension with an NR4 form. 

Otherwise a simple return. Can I use Turbo Tax for this? 

Just click the "I'll enter it myself" button.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies