Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Forgot my 1099-R Form

I forgot to submit my 1099 R will I still get my refund or will they be held up and take longer to process, they have been accepted already.

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

Forgot my 1099-R Form

If you filed, it is like dropping it into a mailbox - you cannot get it back. 

You'll have to wait until your return is either accepted or rejected. 

• If rejected, you can make any necessary changes. 

• If accepted, you'll need to amend your return.   

• To avoid unnecessary delays, do not amend until your original return has been fully processed.   

• You can e-file your 2020 amended federal tax return, but most states require amendments to be printed and filed by mail. 

• Allow 16 weeks for processing. 

See this TurboTax FAQ for help with amending. 

You can check the status of your amended return here, but allow 3 weeks after filing for it to show up. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Forgot my 1099-R Form

Will they still send me my refund or not it has been accepted, I'm just wondering.  Thank you for your advice I just want to amend it but I will wait.

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

Forgot my 1099-R Form

Yes, if it is accepted, you will still get your refund, but wait to do the amendment until everything is fully processed.

Vtroland

Forgot my 1099-R Form

I forgot to file my 1099r form. The IRS excepted my return but it is taking a while to process. Does that mean they may reject it? Or will they make the correction for me? I'm concerned because I was wanting to split it over the 3 years because it was the cares act withdrawal but I misunderstood what I was supposed to do.

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

Forgot my 1099-R Form

You will need to amend your return to add it to your 2020 return. They will not make the correction for you.

If you filed, it is like dropping it into a mailbox - you cannot get it back. 

You'll have to wait until your return is either accepted or rejected. 

• If rejected, you can make any necessary changes. 

• If accepted, you'll need to amend your return.   

• To avoid unnecessary delays, do not amend until your original return has been fully processed.   

• You can e-file your 2020 amended federal tax return, but most states require amendments to be printed and filed by mail. 

• Allow 16 weeks for processing. 

See this TurboTax FAQ for help with amending. 

You can check the status of your amended return here, but allow 3 weeks after filing for it to show up. 

Kathy541

Forgot my 1099-R Form

I forgot to add fed tax withheld from my IRA

Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

Forgot my 1099-R Form

If you already submitted your return, then you will have to wait until your return has been accepted by the IRS and the amended forms are available then you can Amend Your Return 

If your return is rejected, you can simply make the changes and resubmit. 

Amended forms are generally not available finalized and available until mid- March so, you will need to wait until then if your return is accepted to amend. 

Forgot my 1099-R Form

I just got my 1099-R and i already filed. Should i need to wait until i get my refund to amended it? Can i do e-file this year to amended it? 
thanks.

JohnW152
Expert Alumni

Forgot my 1099-R Form

@Marquelyes

Yes, wait until you’ve received your refund before filing your amended return.  

You can e-file your amended return, but be aware that Form 1040X isn’t tentatively scheduled to be available in TurboTax until March 17th, 2022.  Once it is available, you will be able to prepare and e-file your amended return.  Please see the TurboTax Help article IRS forms availability table for TurboTax individual (personal) tax products, and How to amend (change or correct) a return you already filed for instruction on how to amend your previously-filed tax return.

Generally, for a credit or refund, you have to file Form 1040-X within three years, including extensions, after the date you filed your original return, or within two years after the date you paid the tax, whichever is later.

Sarc758

Forgot my 1099-R Form

I just got my second 1099R today that I had already filed my tax return.  My second 1099R has no taxable amount.  Please advise what should I do?  Do I need to do an amendment for my filed tax?    

Forgot my 1099-R Form

@Sarc758 Yes----every 1099R has to be entered.

Did you click that big orange button that said “Transmit my return now?”  If you did that, you cannot do anything to fix it yet.  You have to wait for the email that tells you if your return was accepted or rejected. The IRS will begin to accept/reject e-files on January 29, so your email will come on or after 1-29.

You cannot change or add anything on the return that you just e-filed, nor can you stop it.  It is too late, just like when you put an envelope in a US mailbox on the corner.  The IRS does not allow you to take it back.

If you left out a W-2, a 1099G, or a dependent, or a 1099 etc…DO NOT change your return while it is “pending.”  The changes will go nowhere.

Now you have to wait until the IRS either rejects or accepts your return.  If your return is rejected, you will be able to go into your account and make the necessary changes to your tax return and re-submit your return. 

If the IRS accepts your return, however, then you have to wait longer until it has been fully processed and you have received your refund.  THEN you can prepare an amended tax return and e-file or mail  it in. You have to be able to work from that return exactly the way it was when it was e-filed originally.  You will need to use a form called a 1040X.

Meanwhile, DO NOT go in and start changing anything on your return in the system, or you will make a mess for yourself.  Sit tight and wait until you see what the IRS does with the return you just e-filed

The Form 1040X you might need becomes available in late February,  But wait until your return has been processed.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies