Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

larry1929
Returning Member

form 8949

I sold several stocks in 2022 that I have held for several years with dividends reinvested.  I imported my stock data into TurboTax via the import tool.  My 1099-B shows the stock data data correctly.  I'm using the Premier TurboTax version on a PC. 

But in TurboTax form 8949, only some of the transactions are listed correctly.  IE: “TARGET CORP 100” etc.  Another Stock that I sold and that is listed in my 1099B, “JPMorgan ,“ shows up as “CO 100” or “CO 10.709” or “CO 8.97”, etc.   

Why does TurboTax not show the JP Morgan stock description correctly? 

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

10 Replies

form 8949

Seems that some text was corrupted in the transmission. Just correct it manually. 

larry1929
Returning Member

form 8949

That is almost 50 entries to "correct".  If there was an error in the transmission other data could also be wrong.  

CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

form 8949

It may be able to be resolved by deleting the 1099, and reimporting it into Turbo Tax as this has fixed these issues before. 

If deleting and importing once more does not resolve this, please let us know. @larry1929 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
larry1929
Returning Member

form 8949

I had already deleted all the imported data and reimported it with the same results BEFORE I posted my question in the forum.  It appears the import mechanism is parsing the stock name incorrectly.  I only made the post to let TurboTax know that they have an issue with the import mechanism. 

HeatherPLO
Intuit Alumni

form 8949

So we can take a closer look at your specific situation, please reach out to us directly using the Help Article here.  This ensures you will get to the correct department as quickly as possible.  

@larry1929 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

form 8949

Well, the other question not yet asked.

.....is HOW did you import that data?

1) Did you import it directly into the software from the Broker's site ?

or

2) did you attempt to upload a PDF copy of your form 1099-B/8949?

______

IF you used #2, then that way is known to result in errors, (opinion...never import a PDF file)

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
larry1929
Returning Member

form 8949

2.  I did not import from a PDF. 

1.  Im not sure what you mean "import it directly from into the software from the Broker's site". 

I used the standard TurboTax Premier import mechanism. 

Find broker name in dropdown list, click next or continue

Follow turbotax prompts to login to my broker account, click next or continue

Follow turbotax prompts to close connection to broker account, click next or continue

Review list of items to import, click next or continue (i imported all items) 

Im using Windows 10 PC,  TurboTax premier download version, google chrome browser. 

Im real disappointed with my TurboTax experience this year.  15year user.  

Looking thru the comments on other posts, I see a lot of other users are having problems importing from Fidelity.  

form 8949

Yep...you did a #1, imported directly from the broker site...so that's OK.

So it sounds like a formatting issue for the file you imported. Whether that's at the Broker's end, or TTX's end would just result in a lot of finger-pointing as to exactly who is at fault...but I suspect the Broker's formatting of the file is 'off".

Yeah, there's been a lot of problems this year, but multi-Millions of folks had no import issues at all (including mine from Fidelity, all came in perfectly).....

_________

(And I corrected my sentence with the extra "from" )

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

form 8949

The thing is, the "description" does not matter.

IRS would be interested in that only if you are audited.

form 8949

Agreed ... the IRS only looks at the figures not the description of what you sold so stop driving yourself crazy and leave it alone.   I personally have been entering in summaries using "short term covered" "long term covered" etc as descriptors for what was sold  for years now with absolutely no IRS issues. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies