turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Where do I enter tuition and enrollment fees. The education expenses does not let me input an amount, there is a $0.

Where do I enter tuition and enrollment fees? The education expenses does not let me input an amount, there is a $0.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

30 Replies

Where do I enter tuition and enrollment fees. The education expenses does not let me input an amount, there is a $0.

I have same issue.  Unable to edit/add the $0 tuition amount for 1098-T.  Hopeful someone will respond w/ help.

Carl
Level 15

Assuming you are the parent and are not the undergraduate student:

***THE*** most common reason for this is because *you* told the TurboTax program that the student did *NOT* live with you for "the whole year". Read the small print on the screen that asks how many months the student lived in your household, then select "the whole year".

The SECOND most common reason is because you answered the support question wrong. That question gets answer wrong, because the reader may have read the question, but did not "correctly" comprehend it. The question is asking if the ***STUDENT*** provided more than half of *THEIR OWN* support. You have to answer that question NO. Many people incorrectly comprehend that question as asking if the parent provided more than half of the student's support, and then incorrectly answer that question YES. There is absolutely no requirement what-so-ever for the parent to provide the student any support. The support requirement is on the student. Additionally, it is *not* *common* for an undergraduate to provide more than 50% of their own support and any undergraduate who claims to have done so can expect to be audited on it 24-36 months down the road after filing.

So if you made either one of the above two possible mistakes, you basically told the program that *you* do not qualify to claim *any* education credits or deductions for your dependent student.

I still have the same issue. I am the student, not the parent entering for a student.

JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

It depends.

If someone else can claim you as a dependent, you cannot claim the education credit.  

You can claim the credit if you are not claimed as a dependent on another return.

The following link explains the requirements for the American Opportunity Credit and the Lifetime Learning Credit.  

Chart comparing credits

You would enter the 1098-T information under the Federal section of the TurboTax program.

1. Select "Deductions & Credits"
  2. Select "Expenses & Scholarships (1098-T)"
  3. Click start
  4. Follow the screen to enter the applicable information

Education credit input

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
dafische

I have a 1098t and am the student and no one can claim me as a dependent, but am not able to enter the information on my return. The tuition and enrollment field shows as $0. Where can  I enter my 1098t information? 

JosephF8
Expert Alumni

To edit the 1098-T in TurboTax:

• From Deductions & Credits
  • Expenses and Scholarships (form 1098-T) hit Update
  • From the page that says Now Let's Gather The Additional Education Expenses
  • Hit Continue. You will need to continue through several screens until you get to the screen that says Your Education Expenses Summary click Edit
  • At Here's Your Education Summary you can Edit, Delete or Add New School
bess
Level 1

Same problem. Seems like a glitch, I didn't have this problem last year. I clicked FORMS in the upper right corner, found 1098T on the drop-down menu on the left, then entered the numbers there. Then I went back to STEPBYSTEP, closed the program, re-opened it, and my numbers were in there, although I still can't edit them from the StepbyStep format.

JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

Please review your entries as outlined below.  This will help determine where the information is missing so you receive the credits you are entitled to.

Once you select Tuition from the Deductions & Credits menu, you should see the following:

Initial 1098-T input

Select Edit.

Confirm 1098-T

Answer yes.

Input area to edit

Be sure to click edit on each section above to ensure all amounts are entered.

Once you enter all of the information on each section above, click done, and you will see the following screens.

Which credit

After this screen, TurboTax will let you know which credit you qualified for as follows:

Education credit confirmation

If you are still having issues, please contact us at the following and one of our representatives will be able to assist you further.

Contact TurboTax

These options still does not show up on my screen. It automatically sends me to "Now Let's Gather Your Additional Education Expenses." After clicking "Continue" the Tuition and enrollment fees option is greyed out to $0.  I hit the link to "Tuition and enrollment fees" and it shows me this:

"This amount, which you entered earlier, includes the total amount of tuition and related fee expenses (such as student fees, attendance fees, enrollment fees, or assessment fees) that you paid to your school in 2019."

I did not enter any amount "earlier,"

AnnetteB6
Employee Tax Expert

Start by going to the Education section of your return using these steps:  

• On the top row of the TurboTax online screen, click on Search (or for CD/downloaded TurboTax locate the search box in the upper right corner)
  • This opens a box where you can type in “education” (be sure to enter exactly as shown here) and click the magnifying glass (or for CD/downloaded TurboTax, click Find)
  • The search results will give you an option to “Jump to education
  • Click on the blue “Jump to education” link

Then, if you are not prompted to enter your 1098-T, go through the entire education expenses section of your return until you reach the screen titled “Your Education Expenses Summary”, then follow these steps:

• Click Edit next to the student name.
  • On the screen titled “Here’s your Education Summary”, click Edit beside Tuition.
  • Enter the information from your Form 1098-T.

@rondellalmodovar

ajclark86

Same as above, I am using the turbo tax deluxe edition.

I get taken to the "Add additional expenses" page.

I had to click through all the way to the end to get to the summery page (which shows no numbers at all). in order to edit the amount to add in the tuition numbers.

WHAT A HEADACHE. Also what a HUGE worry that this isn't being calculated correctly within our return, I think I will explore other options this year.

csatta

Thanks for posting this information that helped solve my problem. There is definitely a glitch in Turbo Tax that does not let you enter tuition from a 1098-T until you get to the Education summary section at the end.  I spent way to much time trying to solve this. Turbo Tax, listen to your customers. Don't blow this off.

KrisD15
Expert Alumni

We do listen, and thank you for your input. 

Last year, customers would enter the 1098-T first, then they might get a credit, then they add income that puts them over the income limit and they lose the credit, which didn't go over well. 

If the 1098-T was entered too soon, expenses would apply to a credit, and if a 1099-Q followed, people were having the distributions taxed and were confused by that. 

I assume the programmers tried to make it so forms are entered in the order the software wants, but it can be cumbersome. 

Thank you for using TurboTax.

Correct, you have to get to the very end where it shows the Education summary (scary because I wasn't positive I could change anything if I went all the way to the end!) This is clearly a confusing issue but I'm glad it is getting attention so others can save a handful of hours! I wanted to come back to comment more specifics about my situation because when I did my tax return recently, I had a really hard time finding information about it.

I cleared my tax return and started over completely with the clear/start over button on the bottom left corner *three times* because of this. I was positive I didn't enter anything early, and when I got a TurboTax rep on the phone with me, I shared my screen with the co-browse feature (awesome feature, by the way!) and she was stumped and said it was definitely a glitch. The program would skip straight to "Now let's enter your other educational expenses" without an option to add anything initially. When I tried to go back, it went back to the main Deductions page. 

The TurboTax rep on the phone with me was incredibly helpful and patient, and not defensive at all (a welcomed contrast to the "we do listen" comment on this thread). It was worth waiting for the call back to work with someone who listened and helped without a shred of judgment or defense. All of my interactions with TurboTax reps on the phone (3 this year) were top notch. If you're really stumped, just call or request a call back. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies