turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Where do I enter my 1098-T?

I am not a dependent.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

36 Replies

To file your 1098-T please follow the steps below:

1. Open (continue) your return, if you're not already in it.
  2. In TurboTax, search for "1098T" (lower-case works also) and then click or tap the "Jump to" link in the search results.
  3. Answer any education questions that pop up (enrollment status, name of school, and so forth).
  • If you land on the Education Expenses Summary screen, click or tap Edit next to the student in question, then edit the Tuition item.
  • At the Did you or your dependent (s) get a 1098-T? screen, answer Yes and continue.
  • Additional information on 1098-T:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/4194409

I do not get the prompt or question if I received a 1098T to enter the information. It appears my expenses are defaulting to zero dollars and I only get asked if I want to enter books and other related expenses. 

Carl
    Level 15

I'm just curious.

I am not a dependent.

I read that quite a bit, only to find out through discussion that the person is "in fact" a qualifying dependent on their parent's tax return. So in an effort to help  you confirm you are "in fact" right, on what basis do you say that? Just because you say so, does not mean the IRS will agree with you.

BrittanyL

Right there with you!

TurboTax - help?

Carl
    Level 15

@BrittanyL other than me, no single person in this thread has posted twice. Others who post after the initial poster are referred to as "add-ons". As an add-on, we have absolutely no clue what "help" you need.

I would highly suggest you start your own new message thread stating what information or assistance you need. Better chance of getting a useful and "correct" response that way.

Carl
    Level 15

@BrittanyL other than me, no single person in this thread has posted twice. Others who post after the initial poster are referred to as "add-ons". As an add-on, we have absolutely no clue what "help" you need.

I would highly suggest you start your own new message thread stating what information or assistance you need. Better chance of getting a useful and "correct" response that way.

Same thing is happening to me. There is no option to key in data from 1098T form. It defaults to zero and you can't change it. My 2018 history shows I got $0 education credit so I may not have noticed this error last year.  Why aren't more people asking about this glitch? 

LinaJ2020
    Expert Alumni

Let's try a different path:

• Sign in to your account
    • Select Pick up from what you left off 
    • To your left, select Federal
    • From the top, select Deductions and Credits
    • You should see a list of all tax breaks applied to you 
    • If you have entered any information under Education, it should show on the list.  If you have not, click on All tax breaks to expand to locate the Education section to add
    • Please see images below

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
    **Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
    Syd2
    Returning Member

Same! Did you get an answer? 

Syd2
    Returning Member

Were you able to enter it? I cleared mine totally out and are going to start again tomorrow started my whole tax form over again 

MarilynG1
    Employee Tax Expert

Type '1098t' in the Search area, then 'Jump to 1098t' to get to this area.

You may have missed this question going through the Education topic in the Deductions & Credits Section.

Remember that the amount in Box 1 should be greater than the amount in Box 5 to qualify for Education Credits.

Click the link for more info on How to Enter a 1098-T

Syd2
    Returning Member

Where is the search area I only see question area if you could provide picture that would be great

Syd2
    Returning Member

As well as jump to option? 

MarilynG1
    Employee Tax Expert

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
    Manage cookies