Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Why is the IRS not showing 2019 returned filed on my IRS account?

My 2019 tax return is not showing up on my IRS account. We got the ‘IRS accepted your return’ email from turbo tax on 3/19/20. The IRS site only shows 2018 and older. This year is the first year we owe taxes(we were contractors for a portion of it), not sure if that has anything to do with them not seeing my most recent return.
Does the IRS have our return?
Should we just keep track of the balance owed on our end and continue making payments via the IRS Direct pay and hope their system eventually catches up?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

49 Replies

Have you paid an have they taken the payments?    They might wait until the July 15 due date to take the payments.    The IRS is VERY slow this this year to process tax returns - see below.

**********************************************************************************************
**NOTE*** Due to the Corona virus 10 week shutdown the IRS is operations are still very limited. Any tax return that requires hand processing will probably have long delays. Mailed returns were not being processed and there is a huge backlog. Most phone service remains limited.
For current information see this IRS link:
https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-operations-during-covid-19-mission-critical-functions-continue
**********************************************************************************************

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

@macuser_22 It’s our first time having to pay taxes so before making the big payment of the balance showed in Turbo Tax that we owe, we wanted to test out the direct pay system with a smaller amount. We scheduled the first payment out of our saving for 7/3/2020, I got the payment confirmation page on the IRS website but I’m still waiting for the money to be withdrawn from our account. It did say it would take a couple of business days so I’m giving it til mid week to see if it’s withdrawn.

The holiday weekend got in the way  ... watch for the payment to come out of the bank next week.  

mhq

I had the same issue. I paid my taxes via TurboTax and the money is withdrawn from my bank account. But my IRS account shows that my tax return is not filed yet. Though, it showed it received my payment. 

CatinaT1
Employee Tax Expert

There is a delay in processing the returns at the IRS due to Covid-19 and social distancing policies in effect.  

IRS operations

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Balance due returns are LOW on the priority list right now ... don't expect it to be processed for a couple of months ... just be happy they acknowledged the payment. 

LGORE46
Returning Member

I submitted my 2018 return using the "free" tax software. IRS sent me a form 15103 Delinquent Return" notice this year in Jan or Feb 2020. I remember getting a text saying the IRS has accepted my return. Unfortunately, I was not able to download the return from TURBO TAX using what it saved said "download file not in correct format". I can not reach anyone at Turbo Tax and now IRS line is always busy. I will be returning the form with copy of my tax return again---after getting another NOTICE OF DELIQUENT RETURN" and mailing them copies of the 2018 returns in April 2020. Thanks to Turbo Tax FREE EDITION my stuff is lost!

Why is my 2019 tax return not showing on my online IRS account?  I filed through Turbo Tax and got my refund. 

Because they are not showing my 2019 tax returns I am not getting my stimulus check. 

You have 2 issues ... first the stimulus ... the 2019 return is immaterial now ... you will just get it on the 2020 return.

Now the 2019 return ... did you successfully efile the return or did you mail it ???

If you mailed it:

MAILED RETURNS

The IRS has been working  through millions of mailed returns that have been piling up in trailers during the pandemic.  All you can do is watch the IRS refund site to see when your return makes it to the surface and goes into processing. Sorry.

Per the IRS website IRS Operations During COVID-19: Mission-critical functions continue:

IRS operational status and alternatives

Processing Delays for Paper Tax Returns: Taxpayers should file electronically through their tax preparer, tax software provider, or IRS Free File

We’re experiencing delays in processing paper tax returns due to limited staffing. If you already filed a paper return, we will process it in the order we received it.

Do not file a second tax return or contact the IRS about the status of your return.

If  you mail a tax return (or a payment) to the IRS, it is a good idea to use a mailing service that will track it like UPS or certified mail so you will know it was received.

When you mail a tax return, you need to attach any documents showing tax withheld, such as your W-2’s or any 1099’s. 

TurboTax will not know anything about your mailed return, and will continue to show “Ready to Mail” on your account.  TurboTax will not know that you put your tax return in an envelope and took it to a mailbox.  TurboTax does not get updates on mailed  (or e-filed) returns.

When the IRS finally opens its mail and begins to process mailed returns you can check the status on the IRS site. https://www.irs.gov/refunds

State returns have to be mailed to the state.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899433-how-do-i-track-my-state-refund

Or......

Did you e-file?  Did you click a big orange button that said “Transmit my returns now?”

When you e-file your federal return you will receive two emails from TurboTax.  The first one will say that your return was submitted.  The second email will tell you if your federal return was accepted or rejected.  If you e-filed a state return, there will be a third email to tell you if the state accepted or rejected your state return.

First, check your e-file status to see if your return was accepted:

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/efile-status-lookup/

If the IRS accepted it, what does it say here? 

https://www.irs.gov/refunds        

Or does your account say “Ready to Mail?”

Note: If it says “Ready to Mail” or “Printed” that means YOU have to mail it yourself.  TurboTax does not mail your tax return for you.

If your e-file was accepted:

To check on regular tax refund status via automated phone, call 800-829-1954. (This line has no information on Economic Impact Payments.)

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/efile-status-lookup/

TurboTax gives you an estimated date for receiving your refund based on a 21 day average from your date of acceptance, but it can take longer.  Many refunds are taking longer during the pandemic. 

Once your federal return has been accepted by the IRS, only the IRS has any control. TurboTax does not receive any updates from the IRS. Your ONLY source of information about your refund now is the IRS.

You need your filing status, your Social Security number and the exact amount  (line 20 of your Form 1040) of your federal refund to track your Federal refund:   

https://www.irs.gov/refunds

I have a similar problem. I efiled my 2019 Federal Tax 1044 in July 2020 before the due date. I got an email saying the form was successfully filed. My IRS account confirms the file was submitted and has a copy of my 2019 transcript. It confirms my correct mailing address. However, the refund status shows as "return not processed." I realize that the IRS is delayed processing paper returns, but I efiled my Turbotax over six months ago.

There have been no letters concerning my 2019 tax return. I have no outstanding issues from previous years. My online account shows the IRS did not send me any messages. I have been checking regularly online since July 2020. I have called their 800 number on and off for months. I only get an automated response that says "Due to unusually high call volumes, we are unable to handle your call at this time. Please call back on another business day."

I wondered if I could make an appointment at a local IRS office, but the IRS requires customers to phone for an appointment. The local number has an automated response that simply refers the caller back to the IRS website and the standard 800 number in order to make an appointment. I also tried contacting the Taxpayer Advocate Service of the IRS. It cycled me back to the main IRS number.

This is now a significant problem for me, because I designated my 2019 refund was to be credited for 2020 estimated tax payments. I have never had a problem doing this before.  Since the return was not processed nor was my overpayment credited, it appears that I will now owe significant interest and penalties when I file my 2020 return.

I assume that my next step is to write a letter to the IRS and send it certified return receipt requested and keep a copy of that and the receipt. Has that worked for any one else? Online advice tells people to send a letter to the office address that issued the notice, but there was no notice. If I send a letter, to what office should I address it? Can anyone advise?

TaFi

I sent a paper 2019 tax return on 7/7/2020, with a check.  They cashed the check and applied to a previous year's balance.  Which is fine.  However, today, 2/1/2021 I checked to see if my paper return has been filed and to see what I owe.  My account shows that a 2019 return has never been filed.  I called and the rep told me they have no record of recieving my tax return.  I asked her how they were able to recieve my check.  What did the do with the return that I sent in the same envelope?  The IRS rep told me she cannot help me and hung up on me.

So what do I do now?

I open an I.R.S Account recently, and what i noticed is that my 2019 federal and state tax returns not showing on my Portal I.R.S. Account, So i call TurboTax where i filed online says they in fact sent my returns electronically, So So I Called the I.R.S. and they told me they are behind on updating information sent to them. My taxes we're sent eight months ago, So I haven"t received my second stimulus money, and i'm wondering if it because my 2019 taxes are not showing with the I.R.S, and what about the third and fourth stimulus will i receive future stimulus money when past and signed by President Biden,or will this issue prevent it

@Loggy99999 wrote:

I open an I.R.S Account recently, and what i noticed is that my 2019 federal and state tax returns not showing on my Portal I.R.S. Account, So i call TurboTax where i filed online says they in fact sent my returns electronically, So So I Called the I.R.S. and they told me they are behind on updating information sent to them. My taxes we're sent eight months ago, So I haven"t received my second stimulus money, and i'm wondering if it because my 2019 taxes are not showing with the I.R.S, and what about the third and fourth stimulus will i receive future stimulus money when past and signed by President Biden,or will this issue prevent it

The IRS is no longer mailing stimulus checks.     Any missed payment will be reconciled on your 2020 tax 1040 form line 30 and will add to your 2020 refund.  TurboTax will ask if you received all the stimulus.

As far and any new laws not yet passed, you will just have to wait and see- might never happen.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

Thanks for replying Champ, I receive monies by direct deposit

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies