turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

opuscat1

What happens if accidentally used the wrong w2 to file my taxes

Accidentally used last year's w2 from my wife when I filed this year. Earnings are about 1,900 more for the right w2. Problems, IRS already gave me my refund. What do I do?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

11 Replies
Anita01

You can amend your return to correct it.  Once you're into the amend process, you can delete the existing W-2 and enter the correct one under Federal Taxes, Wages and Income, updating the W-2 section.

Amended returns are filed on paper by mail and it takes the IRS 6 -12 weeks to process them.

Here are the general amend process instructions:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/5114064

Connor32

I somehow re submitted my 2018 return and now it’s saying I have no refund please help 

@Connor32

Filing before you have all of your information causes you a lot of aggravation that could be avoided if you just wait until you have everything first and then take your time preparing your return so you do not mess it up because of a rush to get a refund.

You cannot change or add anything on the return that you just e-filed, nor can you stop it.  It is too late, just like when you put an envelope in a US mailbox on the corner.

If you left out a W-2, or a dependent, or a 1099 etc…DO NOT change your return while it is pending.  The changes will go nowhere.

Now you have to wait until the IRS either rejects or accepts your return.  If your return is rejected, you will be able to go into your account and make the necessary changes to your tax return and re-submit your return.

If the IRS accepts your return, however, then you have to wait longer until it has been fully processed and you have received your refund.  THEN you can prepare an amended tax return and mail it in. You have to be able to work from that return exactly the way it was when it was e-filed originally.  You will need to use a form called a 1040X. You cannot e-file an amended return.  They have to be mailed, and it takes at least 2-4 months for the IRS to process an amended return.  Meanwhile, DO NOT go in and start changing anything on your return in the system, or you will make a mess for yourself.  Sit tight and wait until you see what the IRS does with the return you just e-filed

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
TDGROOM
Returning Member

I enter the wrong w2 it was from 2016 what can I do

@TDGROOM  wrote:

I enter the wrong w2 it was from 2016 what can I do

If you have e-filed your tax return and need to change, add or delete information on the tax return then you will need to wait for the tax return to either be accepted or rejected by the IRS.
If the tax return is rejected then you can make your changes and re-file the tax return.
If the tax return is accepted then you will have to amend the tax return to make your changes. An amended tax return, Form 1040X, can only be printed, signed, dated and mailed by you to the IRS, it cannot be e-filed. The IRS will take up to 4 months to process the amended tax return. Wait until you have received the tax refund or the taxes owed have been paid and processed by the IRS before amending the tax return.

On the Tax Home web page when the Form 1040X for amending a 2019 tax return becomes available there will be a link - Amend (change) return

TDGROOM
Returning Member

thanks 

ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

Generally the IRS spots this mistake and will send you a tax notice. This could take months or years. If you owe, the IRS will add penalty and interest.

It's better to amend your tax return as soon as you receive your refund. The filing deadline this year is May 17. Depending on the change, you may get an additional refund or you'll have to pay some money back.

How do I amend my 2020 return?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
TDGROOM
Returning Member

Thanks for getting back to me Ernie, this is such a mess! I spoke with someone today within the Questionable Credit Department at the IRS and I was told that IF they did receive my amended 2019... its still not in the system due to a massive backlog. I was told to wait until April 9th because I might get a letter regarding this. If I don't, then I should call them back and request a fax number so that I can fax them my amended 2019 to have expedited. 

Well, here comes the tricky part ...the person who did my taxes doesn't have a copy of my amended 2019! 😫😭

What should I do?? I thought about doing the amendment myself but then my fear is that I'd make an even Bigger mess of things. I haven't received any mail regarding this at all. Its like there's been nothing but silence due to the pandemic shutting things down. Its been 13 months already since I filed those taxes. It seems like an easy fix. Just remove the 2016 W2 that was mistakenly added & that has been noted on my account and permission has been given for them to move forward with making the adjustment. I'm nervous now. I've waited so long for my 2019 and now I'm also waiting for my 2020 taxes. Its all giving me a headache 😑

ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

@TDGROOM I understand your anxiety. The IRS is backed up and 2020 returns are delayed. CX's have said the iRS has lost some paper returns, though I don't know if that's true or if they are still sitting in trailers somewhere.

You can create a 2019 amended return in TurboTax. To do this you'd have to enter your original info as filed and then do the amended. You'd also have to buy the 2019 program.

How to amend (change or correct) a return you already filed

Can your old accountant recreate another copy of your amended return? He or she should have your 2019 tax data on file. This seems like it would be easier and faster.

If you are able to fax the new amended to the IRS, the old copy would be rejected as a duplicate.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
TDGROOM
Returning Member

Hello Ernie,

Unfortunately she doesn't have a copy of my 2019 amended return. I was really not expecting to hear that but hey, such is life.  I can do the amended but like I said, I'm afraid of making a mistake somewhere and causing a mess but at this point, it seems like my only recourse. I was told that I'll either have a letter or my money by April 9th. And if I don't have either, this is when I have to call back and fax it in Thankfully, I still have my original 2019 W2. I think that's what I'll do.  Better safe than sorry, right? Thanks a bunch for your help. 

TDGROOM
Returning Member

Ernie, 

April 9th came and went. I got everything back from my 2020 taxes but I can't figure out what to do about 2019. 

I have no idea how to amend it & the tax places aren't taking appointments for situations like mine.  I mean, I get the concept. I have the 1040X form in front of me. I have copies of my 2019 and 2016 W2s but the amendment form itself is not making sense to me at all right now.  I'll see if I can watch some videos or find some type of instructions in the morning. I'm so frustrated and confused....AGAIN lol

Manage cookies