Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

What does this mean?

@Lanroxan

Even during “normal” times it takes about four months for the IRS to process an amended return.  During the pandemic and due to the severe backlog at the IRS it is taking much longer—six months or more for many amended returns.  Do not expect quick results from amending.  When the IRS issues a refund for an amended return it will be by check.  They do not make direct deposits for refunds for amended returns.  You can watch for information here:

https://www.irs.gov/Filing/Individuals/Amended-Returns-(Form-1040-X)/Wheres-My-Amended-Return-1

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

What does this mean?

@xmasbaby0 I filed in February and I’ve been checking since. Today I checked and got a” your information does not match our records” I checked back thought with my my luck it’s still the same message and it changed to we could not proceed you return action needed and a 1800 with an 623 ext ?? I have no idea what that means but I’ll post here if I get an update hopefully soon then later. 

What does this mean?

Don't be concerned ... as the return moves thru the processing stages it can be "missing" from time to time which is normal.  If you have seen progress before just check again every couple of days for a new progress report. 

If the tool has posted an action for you to take then do so  now or wait for the IRS letter in the mail for further instructions.  

What does this mean?

What does this mean?

As I promised……. I was able to get thru and I was told they are still processing my amended return go figured right!!!!!! But I’m pass the 16 weeks since I filed in February 2022 this is for my 2021 I have to wait an additional 4 weeks to be in the 20 weeks! Because of “Covid-19” so  I’ll will return with any updates I know people are trying to get through my only advice is keep following through but be expected a long wait time period!! 

What does this mean?

IRS received my amended 2020 return on 3.3.2022.

Today I got this message (as most have) 

IRS.jpg

Ext. 623 is a status check and when I press 1 for a representative the recording says they cant handle the call volume (paraphrased).  If I can ever reach a human - will they have any additional info or is it a waste of time to call???

Many thanks!

What does this mean?

it seems you mailed it. it may take the IRS 6 months or more to process it, until then, they won't be able to tell you anything. yours is among over 10 million returns that need manual processing. the IRS has said it hopes to catch up by year-end.

What does this mean?

UGH!  yeah I mailed it.  I couldnt file it electronically.  I was hoping for sooner than a Christmas present...but not super optimistic on that.

What does this mean?

@SandyUT05 - figure an amendment will take 6-12 months from the time it was mailed.... I just had one that I filed in May, 2021 finally process early in June - 13 months!

audreykey
Returning Member

What does this mean?

I filed my 2019 amended return in February of 2021.  It was received on March 3, 2021 and it still hasn't been processed.  Jan 3, 2022 I was told it was assigned to someone.  Here it is almost 7 months later and still nothing.  I even was assigned to an advocate 3 months ag0 and they said they would let me know if anything happened.  Silence. 15 months and still waiting

What does this mean?

@NCperson   thank you...  I will just stop checking for a while.  

What does this mean?

I filed electronically in feb! Is there a difference between mailing it or filing electronically??? 

What does this mean?

@Lanroxan Are you asking about an amended return?   No matter whether you mailed it or e-filed it you are in for a long wait.

Even during “normal” times it takes about four months for the IRS to process an amended return.  During the pandemic and due to the severe backlog at the IRS it is taking much longer—six months or more for many amended returns.  Do not expect quick results from amending.  When the IRS issues a refund for an amended return it will be by check.  They do not make direct deposits for refunds for amended returns.  You can watch for information here:

https://www.irs.gov/Filing/Individuals/Amended-Returns-(Form-1040-X)/Wheres-My-Amended-Return-1

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

What does this mean?

@xmasbaby0 @Yes I file electronically! 

What does this mean?

@xmasbaby0 @For an amendment 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies