turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

liamm_1

Turbotax filed incorrect returns- how to fix?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

16 Replies
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

We need more detail to be able to help you. Please answer all of the following questions.

• For what year?
  • Federal or state? If state, what state?
  • What was incorrect? What should it have been?
  • How do you know it was incorrect?
  • Did you get a notice or letter from the IRS or the state? What does the notice or letter say is wrong with the tax return? If you got an IRS notice or letter, what is the notice number or letter number at the top right, starting with CP or LTR?
  • For the year in question, did you use TurboTax Online or the CD/Download TurboTax software?
  • Do you have a copy of the incorrect tax return?
Pinefang

Tax Year 2019

Filed Oregon return but I lived in Washington for the year, My ex  did my taxes and forgot that I had moved to Washington and was there for the whole year. We just filed them electronically last night.

I have not received any notice since we just filed.

She used Turbo Tax online

I have copies of what was submitted.

SForrestLO
Intuit Alumni

@Pinefang

To amend your 2019 tax return: Wait to see if your return has been accepted or rejected by the IRS or state. If rejected, you can correct and re-send your return. If accepted you should wait until your return has been processed and you receive your refund or conformation that any tax due has been paid. If you file an amended return while you first return is being processed it can cause extended delays for both returns if two returns are in the system at the same time. In addition, if the IRS makes any change on your original return, you might end up having to amend the amendment. Amended returns can only be mailed - allow 8-12 weeks - can take up to 16 weeks (4 months) for processing.

How do I amend my 2019 TurboTax Online return? https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/amending/help/how-do-i-amend-my-turbotax-online-return/00/27577

To Amend on Windows. https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/cd-download/amend/ty19/

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
JaniceHill64
Returning Member

I filed on 2-3-2020 my pin no. is [removed] refund was suppose to go into my checking but it did not I have paid for this service,please help me correct this problem.Thanks Janice

@JaniceHill64  wrote:

I filed on 2-3-2020 my pin no. is [removed] refund was suppose to go into my checking but it did not I have paid for this service,please help me correct this problem.Thanks Janice

This is a public Internet forum.  You should not post any personal info in the public forum.  To edit your question to remove it, you can click the tiny blue 3-dot icon just to the right of your question, and in the dropdown menu choose to Edit.  It's possible a Moderator may remove it in the meantime.

We can tell you how to check on your Federal refund, and if necessary, how to phone a live agent at the IRS to ask about the delay, or if the IRS has already sent the funds, how to check on them. 

Or did the IRS send the funds, but a direct deposit was refused and sent back?  It's not clear from your question without more info.  If a direct deposit was refused, we can tell you what will happen next.  NOTE:   If you paid any fees out of your Federal refund, then the process is different.  Did you pay any fees out of your refund?

Did you efile, or did you choose to print and mail the return?  If you filed by mail, it can take about 6 weeks to get a Federal refund.

If you efiled, first double-check to be sure the return was efiled successfully and accepted.
If you used Online TurboTax, you can sign into your Online Account and check the efile status at the Tax Home.

If that showed it was accepted, you can use the "Where's My Refund" tool at the IRS website below to check on the status of your Federal refund.   What is displayed there?
https://www.irs.gov/Refunds

NOTE: When using that tool, use only the Federal refund amount, and not any total refund amount that includes a state refund.
The amount to use is on your Federal Form 1040, Line 21a.

If that IRS tool says your Federal refund has been sent, but you never received it, report back.  Or did the IRS send the funds, but a direct deposit was refused and sent back?  It's not clear from your question without more info.  If a direct deposit was refused by your bank, we can tell you what will happen.  NOTE:   If you paid any fees out of your Federal refund, then the process is different.  Did you pay any fees out of your refund?

If the IRS "Where's My Refund" tool says it is still being processed, then since it has been so long, here's how to speak to a live IRS agent to ask about the delay:

800-829-1040 (7AM-7 PM local time) Monday-Friday

When calling the IRS do not choose the first choice re: "Refund", or it will send you to an automated phone line.

• First choose your language.  Then listen to each menu before making the selection.
  • Then press 2 for "personal income tax".
  • Then press 1 for "form, tax history, or payment".  
  • Then press 3 "for all other questions."
  • Then press 2 "for all other questions." 
  • It may then ask for your SSN, but do not enter it.  Just wait.    If it asks for SSN a second time, still do not enter it.
  • Then it will get "tired", and you'll get another menu.  Choose 2 for "personal" then you should be transferred to an agent, but there's likely to be a long wait.
  • I usually use a speakerphone so I can work on something else while waiting.

To track a state refund:
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/refund-status/help/how-do-i-track-my-state-refund/00/25571

You didn't include my social security on my tax return

MayaD
Employee Tax Expert

TurboTax provides a product that allows you to prepare your tax return and submit it to the IRS and state tax authorities. You need to enter your information in the program.

To enter/edit your Social Security Number:

• Login to your account.
  • Go to Personal Info
  • Select Edit next to your name 
  • On Your Personal Info screen edit/enter your SSN.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I received a letter from my State revenue service saying they didn't receive the right format on the 1099 and W2 forms on my state return. I was supposed to get a refund from State , but the letter says we owe. What do I need to do to fix this? Thank you 

maryjean1002
Returning Member

2021, Federal. My tax return shows a refund of 1,067.00. I received a letter from the IRS stating I owe $133.00 because of Estimated Taxes not paid for 2021.  I was not required to pay Estimated Taxes for 2021. I was a US citizen for all 12 months of 2020 and I had no tax liability for 2020, and in fact received a refund of $226.00 for 2020. According to IRS information I did not need to pay Estimated Taxes for 2021, but now I receive this letter stating I owe $133.00. The Notice Name of the letter from the IRS is CP23.  I used TurboTax online.  I do have a copy of the return but I do not believe it is incorrect. I believe the IRS is incorrect.  Can anyone at TurboTax help me with this?  I used TurboTax Deluxe.  I have written to the IRS as I have been unable to reach anyone by phone.  I would appreciate any advice you can give me.  Thank you

MoniqueLO_
Intuit Alumni

Please see this Help Article for information regarding your CP23 notice. 

@maryjean1002

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

@maryjean1002 

The IRS notice is not saying that you should have paid estimated tax. It's saying that you entered estimated tax payments on your tax return, but you did not make those payments. On the tax return that you filed, is there an amount on Form 1040 line 26? That line is for estimated tax that you paid for 2021. If you did not pay estimated tax, line 26 should be blank. From the figures that you gave, it looks like line 26 is probably $1,200. But you said you did not pay any estimated tax, so there shouldn't be anything on that line. If line 26 is $1,200, that's the error in your tax return. You claimed that you paid $1,200 of estimated tax, and took credit for that amount on your tax return, but you did not actually pay the $1,200.

@ maryjean1002 wrote:
I had no tax liability for 2020, and in fact received a refund of $226.00 for 2020.

Speaking generally, a refund does not have anything to do with tax liability.    Someone can have a huge tax liability and still get a refund if they overpaid their taxes.

If you need to speak to someone in realtime at TurboTax about your letter and situation, you can go through the free TurboTax Audit Support Center.  While that's not an audit, they also help with any IRS letters/notices and can help figure out your situation.

To get the phone number, go to the link below, click the blue "Get Help" button, and follow the prompts.

https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/irs-notice/audit-support/

Mamawof8

I need to Amend my 2022 North Carolina State Return.  I reported my estimated as $800, I paid $2363 in estimated tax for 2022 tax year.

Manage cookies