Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

cbc2021
Returning Member

Turbo tax put the wrong routing and account number and the IRS deposited my refund into this random account. TT won't help me get my money back. Help?

It seems like this is a common enough problem (not an "isolated incident" as the TT agent told me last month). I'll try calling TT again tomorrow hoping for some kind of financial remedy, because this is a lot of money at stake for all of us. California FTB got back to me quickly...but I couldn't get ahold of the IRS, and I've moved since filing. What a huge cluster-fudge.

Turbo tax put the wrong routing and account number and the IRS deposited my refund into this random account. TT won't help me get my money back. Help?

You are a genius I found in Credit Karma! 

Yes infuriating That TT could not tell me that. Even IRS or FTB. Now I filed a form to IRS statingt it's the wrong routing and account. But it's not , it's in this new Credit Karma account I didn't realize I even had, I seriously thought it was a account to track my credit score.  I just wanted the 50.00 Credit for joining! So I certainly didn't know my account number or routing to type in TT 🙄🙄🙄

Did you open up a Credit Karma account to get a 50.00 credit?  I did and that's where my money is. I wished TT would inform their customer service reps!

cbc2021
Returning Member

No, never heard of Credit Karma. The routing number was to a JP Morgan Chase account, but the account number wasn't a real one (I checked with them). No idea what happened

But glad you found your money! Mine's still in the ether...

One poster found this.....

The refund was sent to a bank I didn't recognize because Schwab where I have an account uses an intermediary bank, JP Morgan. So the refund was in my Schwab account which has little activity and I had not checked. I had not had a refund in so long, I did not remember the default account I had set up years ago for refunds.

And I found this from an old FAQ

In some cases, tax refunds designated to be deposited into a Fidelity brokerage account will appear to have been "deposited" into UMB Bank.

Similarly, some tax refunds designated for a Charles Schwab account will seem to have been "deposited" to JPMorgan Chase or BNY Mellon.

In these 3 cases, the refund was merely routed through (not deposited into) these banks, who partner with the brokerage in routing the funds.

If your refund was routed through one of these banks, you'll see routing numbers 101205681, 071000013, or 031100157when you sign into your brokerage account. However, your refund will be deposited into your brokerage account, not the bank.

cbc2021
Returning Member

Thank you so much, VolvoGirl! Well, that solves where the FTB money is...it was put into my brokerage account (still waiting on IRS).

Now the question is how Turbo Tax's software/programming grabbed the account info from a 1099 and somehow overode the 2-3 times I put my *bank* direct deposit in

Glad you found it and posted back! Guess my very old notes still apply.

😪🥲🥲 so I did my taxes May 21 through TurboTax because everyone said anyone can do it it’s self-explanatory so I thought I can do this there’s a routing number and an account number in the box now that I keep looking for it and it’s not my account number or my routing number in fact they never asked me so I assumed it was coming as a credit card or a check because they didn’t ask and I didn’t think anything because I just assumed maybe that’s how Turbo Tax did it because they never say anything and then it’s my fault I guess I should’ve asked but I just assumed it was all my first time and you know I saw how much I was getting back I got excited of course stupid girl because it’s now it’s August and I still haven’t seen it I never I never got one stimulus check I just don’t know what to do this is horrible I have every right I’ve worked since I was 14 years old I’m raising a daughter and her son this is just insane to me how many honest people will get that much money in their account and just take it not say wait a minute this is not mine I don’t even know what happens now what do we do please someone help me

FYI - Identical thing just happened to me ...

I set up my deposit to go to my Schwab checking account in TT, but when my deposit didn't arrive, I checked the actual IRS forms and they had a totally different routing and account number....  When I checked the routing number is was JPMorgan Chase ([removed]).  TT customer support took me through the website, and we could see that I did in fact enter the routing and account number for my checking account, but couldn't figure out why the actual tax forms had a completely different number.  They eventually emailed me this thread so I decided to have a quick look in my Schwab brokerage account, and sure enough, the deposit was there.

So the mystery is why did TT change the deposit account to a different one than I wanted it to????   But in the end, all I care about is that I found the missing refund.

I literally goin they the same thing they deposit my check in the completely different account that’s not mine. So I’ve been struggling since the 19 of october

Jmmaher06

The same thing has happened to me this year and I just checked the routing number because it just didn’t make sense why it hasn’t been sent yet and they are COMPLETELY different numbers! How did you get it resolved? 

For me there was nothing to get resolved.   If you have multiple accounts at that bank, just check all the accounts to see if there was a deposit.  In my case, it was supposed to be deposited in my checking account, but for some reason it showed up in my investment account.

It showed up in my Fidelity brokerage account. Turbo Tax somehow pick that number up when they transferred my account info to my return. The really annoying thing was they disavowed any culpability in the switching of deposit accounts and offered absolutely no help in solving the problem. They said there was no way the deposit information could have been switched at their end when, as it turned out, it had been and they were responsible! Took me a long time to finally figure out what had happened.

That's happened before.  It's was from the broker.   If you logged into Turbo Tax by going though an investment website like Fidelity, Those have been known to change your deposit to your investment account. So check all your accounts if you have those.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies