Idle0095

Refund Status IRS can’t find my refund

I filed January 22. That night I got an accepted email from turbo tax. When I visit where’s my refund the irs can’t find it. Why?  I do have two children I claimed as well. 

BrandiLO

Refund Status IRS can’t find my refund

If there is no record of your return, please make sure you are entering the correct social security number, filing status, and refund amount.

To verify your refund amount:

If you filed a Form 1040, the Refund Amount is shown on Line 20a.

If you filed a Form 1040NR, the Refund Amount is shown on Line 73a.

If you filed a Form 1040NR-EZ, the Refund Amount is shown on Line 23a.

If you filed a Form 1040PR, the Refund Amount is shown on Line 13a.

If you filed a Form 1040SS, the Refund Amount is shown on Line 13a.

To verify your filing status:

If you filed a Form 1040, the Filing Status is shown on the top of the form above your name and social security number.

If you filed a Form 1040NR, the Filing Status is shown on Page 1, Boxes 1 through 6.

If you filed a Form 1040NR-EZ, the Filing Status is shown on Page 1, Boxes 1 through 2.

If you filed a Form 1040PR, the Filing Status is shown on Page 1, Part 1 Line 1.

If you filed a Form 1040SS, the Filing Status is shown on Page 1, Part 1 Line 1.

For more information, please click here

Idle0095

Refund Status IRS can’t find my refund

All matches fine and IRS still has no record of it.

Refund Status IRS can’t find my refund

Once the return is accepted FOR PROCESSING  the IRS site may not show a current status of the return as it passes thru the various  steps in the system  ... this is normal and common ... check back once a day for an update : https://www.irs.gov/refunds

Idle0095

Refund Status IRS can’t find my refund

So just because turbotax says accepted on jan 22 doesn't mean its accepted it yet?

mesquitebean

Refund Status IRS can’t find my refund

@ Idle0095 wrote:

No, that's not what Critter said.   In early processing days, that IRS WMR tool can be quirky and one's info can come and go when it moves through various stages of processing at the IRS.

If you used Online TurboTax, when you log into your Online TurboTax account, does it show "accepted", and did you also get an email saying it was accepted?

Also be sure you are entering the correct info at the IRS WMR tool. 

Be sure to enter just the Federal refund amount and not any total refund amount that includes a state refund.  If you filed a Form 1040, the amount to use is shown on your Federal Form 1040, Line 21a.

And if you paid any fees out of the Federal refund, use the amount before any fee deduction.

Refund Status IRS can’t find my refund

Your return was ONLY ACCEPTED for processing not APPROVED for refund disbursement ... these are totally separate items.  Returns with EIC and ACTC will not start processing until after 2/15/20 ... do not expect your refund before 3/1. 

IRS FAQ :   https://www.irs.gov/individuals/refund-timing

My return got accepted. What happens next?

Congratulations! Accepted means your e-file has passed inspection (such as Social Security numbers are correct and dependents haven't already been claimed) and the government has your tax return. Consider acceptance as your official government packing slip.

Are you getting a refund?

After acceptance, the next step is for the government to review your refund.

During the review process, they look for math errors on your return (extremely rare in TurboTax) and check if you owe back taxes, unpaid child support, or other debts.

If they need to make any corrections, they may offset (reduce) your refund. In some cases, the correction might even increase your refund.

Once that part's done, the government approves your refund, which means it's ready to be deposited or sent.

It can take up to 21 calendar days after acceptance for the IRS to issue your refund, although most refunds go more quickly than that, while a small handful may take a bit longer.

Start tracking your federal refund at the IRS Where's My Refund site.  For state refunds, go to your state government's refund lookup service.

Do you owe taxes?

As you may have guessed, the government processes tax payments more quickly than refunds.

Direct debits are usually withdrawn on the payment date you specified in TurboTax. If that date falls on a weekend or official holiday, the funds are usually taken out the next business day.

If you're one of the millions who filed around the busy April 15, 2020 (April 17, 2020 if you live in Maine (ME) or Massachusetts (MA) due to Emancipation Day) deadline, the government might not debit your payment until after the deadline due to high volumes. On top of that, it can take your bank a few more days to post the debit to your account.

As long as you e-filed by April 15, 2020 (April 17, 2020 for those who live in ME or MA) 11:59 p.m. local time and selected April 15, 2020 (April 17, 2020 for those who live in ME or MA) (or earlier) as your payment date, you won't get penalized for late payment (rejected returns have until April 20, 2020 (April 22, 2020 for those who live in ME or MA) to re-file or mail the return).

Credit card and check payments are treated similarly; as long as the payment was submitted or postmarked by the filing deadline, there's no late payment penalty even if the transaction posts or the check is cashed after the deadline.

If you still don't see a credit or debit transaction 7–10 days after your return has been accepted, call IRS e-file Payment Services at 1-888-353-4537 or contact your state tax agency, as appropriate.

Related Information:

Everyone should read this article  and listen to the video ...  then take a deep breath and let the IRS system work as designed.  https://www.refundschedule.com/irs-wheres-refund-status-bars-disappeared/

amanda7wilson

Refund Status IRS can’t find my refund

I submitted my federal and state return 03/13/21 and they were accepted the same day. I received my state return 2 weeks later but still have heard nothing in terms of federal return. I tracked my federal return online with the where's my refund tool and it was saying processing for the past 2 months. I logged on today and they now say that they have no record of my return and I am past the due date to file. I have tried to call a dozen times and cannot reach anyone at the IRS, all automated messages or they hang up because call volume is too high..... What do I do???

Refund Status IRS can’t find my refund

Try again tomorrow.  You can get that message if WMR is overwhelmed.

mesquitebean

Refund Status IRS can’t find my refund

@amanda7wilson wrote:

You can also have that result because that WMR tool is often just screwy--maybe more so this year than in the past due to Pandemic-related issues affecting backlogs and processing.  It's fine when it works, but when it doesn't find info, it leaves folks in limbo.   Of course, folks do need to be sure they are entering everything correctly, including the Federal refund amount from the Form 1040, Line 35a.

For 2 months you know they were processing your return because you saw evidence of that in the WMR tool previously.  So you obviously have filed on time, and they received it.  The tool can sometimes say say it "can't find" your info as it progresses through various stages, especially if there is any manual processing/investigating going on, which yours likely is.

In your case, it most likely means the return has moved onto into "some other" stage, but only the IRS will know what all they are doing with it.   At some point it should again find your info.

Sometimes the IRS Refund Hotline will work when the IRS WMR tool doesn't.

800-829-1954