Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Idle0095
Returning Member

Refund Status IRS can’t find my refund

I filed January 22. That night I got an accepted email from turbo tax. When I visit where’s my refund the irs can’t find it. Why?  I do have two children I claimed as well. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

14 Replies
BrandiLO
Intuit Alumni

If there is no record of your return, please make sure you are entering the correct social security number, filing status, and refund amount.

To verify your refund amount:

If you filed a Form 1040, the Refund Amount is shown on Line 20a.

If you filed a Form 1040NR, the Refund Amount is shown on Line 73a.

If you filed a Form 1040NR-EZ, the Refund Amount is shown on Line 23a.

If you filed a Form 1040PR, the Refund Amount is shown on Line 13a.

If you filed a Form 1040SS, the Refund Amount is shown on Line 13a.

To verify your filing status:

If you filed a Form 1040, the Filing Status is shown on the top of the form above your name and social security number.

If you filed a Form 1040NR, the Filing Status is shown on Page 1, Boxes 1 through 6.

If you filed a Form 1040NR-EZ, the Filing Status is shown on Page 1, Boxes 1 through 2.

If you filed a Form 1040PR, the Filing Status is shown on Page 1, Part 1 Line 1.

If you filed a Form 1040SS, the Filing Status is shown on Page 1, Part 1 Line 1.

For more information, please click here

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Idle0095
Returning Member

All matches fine and IRS still has no record of it.

Once the return is accepted FOR PROCESSING  the IRS site may not show a current status of the return as it passes thru the various  steps in the system  ... this is normal and common ... check back once a day for an update : https://www.irs.gov/refunds

Idle0095
Returning Member

So just because turbotax says accepted on jan 22 doesn't mean its accepted it yet?

@ Idle0095 wrote:

So just because turbotax says accepted on jan 22 doesn't mean its accepted it yet?

No, that's not what Critter said.   In early processing days, that IRS WMR tool can be quirky and one's info can come and go when it moves through various stages of processing at the IRS.

If you used Online TurboTax, when you log into your Online TurboTax account, does it show "accepted", and did you also get an email saying it was accepted?

Also be sure you are entering the correct info at the IRS WMR tool. 

Be sure to enter just the Federal refund amount and not any total refund amount that includes a state refund.  If you filed a Form 1040, the amount to use is shown on your Federal Form 1040, Line 21a.

And if you paid any fees out of the Federal refund, use the amount before any fee deduction.

Your return was ONLY ACCEPTED for processing not APPROVED for refund disbursement ... these are totally separate items.  Returns with EIC and ACTC will not start processing until after 2/15/20 ... do not expect your refund before 3/1. 

IRS FAQ :   https://www.irs.gov/individuals/refund-timing

My return got accepted. What happens next?

Congratulations! Accepted means your e-file has passed inspection (such as Social Security numbers are correct and dependents haven't already been claimed) and the government has your tax return. Consider acceptance as your official government packing slip.

Are you getting a refund?

After acceptance, the next step is for the government to review your refund.

During the review process, they look for math errors on your return (extremely rare in TurboTax) and check if you owe back taxes, unpaid child support, or other debts.

If they need to make any corrections, they may offset (reduce) your refund. In some cases, the correction might even increase your refund.

Once that part's done, the government approves your refund, which means it's ready to be deposited or sent.

It can take up to 21 calendar days after acceptance for the IRS to issue your refund, although most refunds go more quickly than that, while a small handful may take a bit longer.

Start tracking your federal refund at the IRS Where's My Refund site.  For state refunds, go to your state government's refund lookup service.

Do you owe taxes?

As you may have guessed, the government processes tax payments more quickly than refunds.

Direct debits are usually withdrawn on the payment date you specified in TurboTax. If that date falls on a weekend or official holiday, the funds are usually taken out the next business day.

If you're one of the millions who filed around the busy April 15, 2020 (April 17, 2020 if you live in Maine (ME) or Massachusetts (MA) due to Emancipation Day) deadline, the government might not debit your payment until after the deadline due to high volumes. On top of that, it can take your bank a few more days to post the debit to your account.

As long as you e-filed by April 15, 2020 (April 17, 2020 for those who live in ME or MA) 11:59 p.m. local time and selected April 15, 2020 (April 17, 2020 for those who live in ME or MA) (or earlier) as your payment date, you won't get penalized for late payment (rejected returns have until April 20, 2020 (April 22, 2020 for those who live in ME or MA) to re-file or mail the return).

Credit card and check payments are treated similarly; as long as the payment was submitted or postmarked by the filing deadline, there's no late payment penalty even if the transaction posts or the check is cashed after the deadline.

If you still don't see a credit or debit transaction 7–10 days after your return has been accepted, call IRS e-file Payment Services at 1-888-353-4537 or contact your state tax agency, as appropriate.

Related Information:

Everyone should read this article  and listen to the video ...  then take a deep breath and let the IRS system work as designed.  https://www.refundschedule.com/irs-wheres-refund-status-bars-disappeared/

I submitted my federal and state return 03/13/21 and they were accepted the same day. I received my state return 2 weeks later but still have heard nothing in terms of federal return. I tracked my federal return online with the where's my refund tool and it was saying processing for the past 2 months. I logged on today and they now say that they have no record of my return and I am past the due date to file. I have tried to call a dozen times and cannot reach anyone at the IRS, all automated messages or they hang up because call volume is too high..... What do I do???

Try again tomorrow.  You can get that message if WMR is overwhelmed.

@amanda7wilson wrote:

I submitted my federal and state return 03/13/21 and they were accepted the same day. I received my state return 2 weeks later but still have heard nothing in terms of federal return. I tracked my federal return online with the where's my refund tool and it was saying processing for the past 2 months. I logged on today and they now say that they have no record of my return and I am past the due date to file. I have tried to call a dozen times and cannot reach anyone at the IRS, all automated messages or they hang up because call volume is too high..... What do I do???

You can also have that result because that WMR tool is often just screwy--maybe more so this year than in the past due to Pandemic-related issues affecting backlogs and processing.  It's fine when it works, but when it doesn't find info, it leaves folks in limbo.   Of course, folks do need to be sure they are entering everything correctly, including the Federal refund amount from the Form 1040, Line 35a.

For 2 months you know they were processing your return because you saw evidence of that in the WMR tool previously.  So you obviously have filed on time, and they received it.  The tool can sometimes say say it "can't find" your info as it progresses through various stages, especially if there is any manual processing/investigating going on, which yours likely is.

In your case, it most likely means the return has moved onto into "some other" stage, but only the IRS will know what all they are doing with it.   At some point it should again find your info.

Sometimes the IRS Refund Hotline will work when the IRS WMR tool doesn't.

800-829-1954

megon1121
Returning Member

I have been checking my status - the IRS says it can't find my return. I have checked and rechecked my info and it is correct. They still can't find me. What's happening? I've used Turbo Tax for 2 years now, and this year it's really hard to get answers. Please help. 

@megon1121 wrote:

I have been checking my status - the IRS says it can't find my return. I have checked and rechecked my info and it is correct. They still can't find me. What's happening? I've used Turbo Tax for 2 years now, and this year it's really hard to get answers. Please help. 

Did you e-file your tax return and was it accepted?
Only the IRS and your State control when and if a Federal or State tax refund is Approved and Issued.

You complete your tax return by finishing all 3 Steps in the File section. In Step 3, to e-file your tax return, you must click on the large button labeled "Transmit my returns now".

After completing the File section and e-filing your tax return you will receive two emails from TurboTax. The first email when your tax return was transmitted and the second email when the tax return has either been accepted or rejected.

Note - Once a tax return has been Accepted by the IRS or a State, TurboTax receives no further information concerning the tax return or the status of any tax refund.  Only the taxpayer listed on the tax return can obtain the status of a tax refund or a tax return.

To check the status of an e-filed return, open up your desktop product or log into your TurboTax Online Account. You can find your status within the TurboTax product.
If accepted by the IRS use the federal tax refund website to check the refund status - https://www.irs.gov/refunds
If accepted by the state use this TurboTax support FAQ to check the state tax refund status - https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899433-how-do-i-track-my-state-refund

After the tax return has been Accepted by the IRS (meaning only that they received the return) it will be in the Processing mode until the tax refund has been Approved and then an Issue Date will be available on the IRS website.
See this IRS website for federal tax refund FAQ's - https://www.irs.gov/refunds/tax-season-refund-frequently-asked-questions

hjd500

Used all correct numbers. IRS says my SS is incorrect (not so). Where's My Refund has no record of refund. All numbers correct. I tried to electronically file with Turbo. Made a mistake on last years adjusted income , corrected it on Turbo. Still "not accepted". So I mailed it certified and have the receipt saying it was accepted at IRS in Austin. IRS apparently doesn't know who I am. No record of return but they don't recognize my SSN. When I call them they don't recognize me. Wrong SSN they say. Not so. 

@hjd500 wrote:

Used all correct numbers. IRS says my SS is incorrect (not so). Where's My Refund has no record of refund. All numbers correct. I tried to electronically file with Turbo. Made a mistake on last years adjusted income , corrected it on Turbo. Still "not accepted". So I mailed it certified and have the receipt saying it was accepted at IRS in Austin. IRS apparently doesn't know who I am. No record of return but they don't recognize my SSN. When I call them they don't recognize me. Wrong SSN they say. Not so. 

The IRS is taking 6 months and longer to process a mailed 2021 tax return.  Until the IRS starts processing the return there will not be any information on the IRS federal tax refund status website.

Go to this IRS website for the status of federal tax returns - https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-operations-during-covid-19-mission-critical-functions-continue

As of June 17, 2022, we had 11.2 million unprocessed individual returns which include returns received before 2022, and new tax year 2021 returns. Of these, 2 million returns require error correction or other special handling, and 9.2 million are paper returns waiting to be reviewed and processed. This work does not typically require us to correspond with taxpayers but does require special handling by an IRS employee so, in these instances, it is taking the IRS more than 21 days to issue any related refund and in some cases this work could take 90 to 120 days. If a correction is made to any Recovery Rebate Credit, Child Tax Credit, Earned Income Tax Credit or Additional Child Tax Credit claimed on the return, the IRS will send taxpayers an explanation. Taxpayers are encouraged to continue to check Tax Season Refund Frequently Asked Questions.

How long you may have to wait: The IRS understands the importance of timely processing of tax returns and refund issuance. We have processed all error free returns received prior to October 2021 and continue to work the returns that need to be manually reviewed due to errors.  We are continuing to reroute tax returns and taxpayer correspondence from locations that are behind to locations where more staff is available, and we are taking other actions to minimize any delays. Tax returns are opened and processed in the order received. As the return is processed, whether it was filed electronically or on paper, it may be delayed because it has a mistake including errors concerning the Recovery Rebate Credit and the Child Tax Credit, is missing information, or there is suspected identity theft or fraud. If we can fix it without contacting you, we will. If we need more information or need you to verify that it was you who sent the tax return, we will write you a letter. The resolution of these issues could take 90 to 120 days depending on how quickly and accurately you respond, and the ability of IRS staff trained and working under social distancing requirements to complete the processing of your return.

What you should do: In most instances, no further action is needed but you may check Where’s My Refund? or you can view your account. If you filed electronically and received an acknowledgement, you do not need to take any further action other than promptly responding to any requests for information. If you filed on paper, check Where’s My Refund? If it tells you we have received your return or are processing or reviewing it, we are processing your return, but it may be under review. If you filed before October 2021 and Where’s My Refund? does not have any information, your return has been opened but work on it has not begun. We’re working hard to get through the carryover inventory. Please don’t file a second tax return or contact the IRS about the status of your return.

@hjd500 - The IRS is woefully backlogged.  They process paper returns in the order received.  They just announced last week that they had processed most everything through Dec, 2021, which is another way of stating they had NOT touched any 2021 tax year paper return, since they all had been received in 2022. 

I've seen posts on Facebook of taxpayers who paper filed in February stating they have seen movement this week on their returns. 

Therefore, I'd have patience and assume it will be 6-9 months from the time you filed until your return is processed.  Suggest checking WMR again at the 6 month mark but no earlier; it's likely to be a waste of time. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies