Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

kari299

With the recently passed American Rescue Plan, it is recommended to only amend state taxes, and not federal. How do I only amend state and not federal with turbotax?

I have already filed both federal and state taxes back in feburary, and so I need to amend to get back the taxes I paid on unemployment, but only for my state, Maine. It is recommended not to file federal, as this could delay their return.  When I try to file and amendment with my turbotax account it amends both state and federal. I can not for the life of me figure out how to only do state! Help please!
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies
RayW7
Expert Alumni

With the recently passed American Rescue Plan, it is recommended to only amend state taxes, and not federal. How do I only amend state and not federal with turbotax?

You can amend just your state tax return using Turbo Tax and leave the Federal as is. In the State Taxes, there is a screen to indicate that you want to amend your state tax return. It is near the end of the return.

-follow this link for additional information-

I need to amend my state return - TurboTax

kari299

Thank you for the response. I did get this far, but throughout this process, it says at the top of the page that both federal and state are processing amendments. Am I doing it wrong, or missing something?

here's a link to how the states will handle the non-taxable UC. some will do it automatically others you will need to file an amended return. 

https://www.kiplinger.com/taxes/state-tax/602307/taxes-on-unemployment-benefits-a-state-by-state-gui... 

Here is where you will have issues ... the program automatically corrects the situations that the feds will change automatically when you open the account and that will also affect the state return.  Putting things back to how it was originally filed so you can amend the state is tricky ... hopefully TT will issue guidance on how to get this done correctly soon.  

DMarkM1
Employee Tax Expert

If you clicked the amend option when signing in to your account then you are in the Federal Amendment interview.  You need to "Cancel/delete/discard" that amendment and then sign out of your account.  

If you are using an online version of TurboTax when you sign back in select the "Add a State" option to allow you back in to make edits without entering the Federal Amendment interview.

If you are using a desktop version simply sign back in but do not click the "Amend" option.  You will be able to edit your return.

Once back in your returns for editing you need to get the form 1099G to reflect the original taxable amount of unemployment benefits.  To do that revisit the "Unemployment" topic and add 10,200 to the box 1 amount to eliminate the exclusion.

Then go to your state interview and click through to the end to find the option to "Amend your state return."  Select "Yes" and enter the requested information.  Follow the prompts to go back to the federal interview and delete that 10,200 from box 1 to now allow the exclusion.  Continue following the prompts to complete the state only amendment.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I knew this would be messy ... in the email TT is sending do they mention all this finagling ?   Have they put out a FAQ yet ?  

taxquestioner67
Returning Member

if im using turbotax.com, do i not need to do the extra step of adding 10,200 to unemployment on federal and then removing it? so i would just log in using turbotax.com, click add a state to amend state only.. if i just do that and go through to the end and print the forms - it prints federal and state.. i assume i disregard the federal and just mail the state. if i do it this way there is a state refund..  is this the right way? Or do i log in, click add a state, then  click on federal and 10,200 to the unemployment income (say my actual unemployment was 10k - i adjust to 20,200 and then put back to 10k after i print the forms?). If i do it this way, then i  do not get a refund and owe state about $150 less than i owed before amending.. so not sure which way is right when sing turbotax.com 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies