United States of AmericaEnglishEN

Pick a language

CanadaEnglish CanadaFrançais
TurboTax Help
Intuit

I need to amend my state return

In TurboTax, you can amend your state return without filing an amendment for your federal. 

But, if you need to amend your federal return, the changes that you make to your federal return will automatically be transferred to your state return.  

If you only need to make specific changes to the state return, review the directions for either TurboTax Online or TurboTax CD/Download.

Select your version for instructions:

1. Sign in to your TurboTax account if you're not already signed in.
  2. On the home screen, locate the Your tax returns & documents section and select Amend (change) return.
  3. Select Continue to amend if any of the situations or information on the screen applies.
  4. Select the amendment reason(s) and select Continue.
  5. Continue through until you reach the screen, Tell us which 2020 return(s) you want to amend and select 20XX state. (Note: If you only need to amend a state return, only select state for the tax year you are amending)
  6. Finish amending the return.

Keep in mind: When you start amending, it's normal and expected for your refund meter to reset to $0. We'll calculate any additional refund or taxes owed when you're finished amending. This amount, if any, is separate from the amount on your originally filed return.

1. Open your return in the TurboTax Desktop software
  2. On the home screen of TurboTax Desktop, go to Need to File an Amended Return? and select Amend a Filed return
  3. Select Continue on the We’ll help you change (amend) your return screen. 
  4. Select Yes, I’ve already filed my return.
  5. Choose the option that best applies when asked, Tell us a little more about your amend situation. (For the 2020 tax year, choose I need to amend my 2020 return).
  6. On the next screen, select Continue to amend
  7. Select Update next to State Return and finish the amendment.

The steps above will generate a 1040-X (Amended Return) for the state you are amending.

Keep in mind: When you start amending, it's normal and expected for your refund meter to reset to $0. We'll calculate any additional refund or taxes owed when you're finished amending. This amount, if any, is separate from the amount on your originally filed return.

If you need to amend a prior-year state return, visit this article for more info.

Was this helpful?

You must sign in to vote, reply, or post