turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Will I be refunded the e-filing state return fee? I'm still not able to efile due with turbo's system! And Turbo has deducted the fee from my bank account! WTH?!

I've googled to see if maybe I may have been doing something incorrectly, but I've since learnt this appears to be a widespread issue with turbo and the different states efiling. Hence, the state I am attempting to efile, does indeed accept efile. Its like on a loop, I enter my personal ID info, hit enter answer a few questions and hit File. But then its back to enter my personal ID info... I cant win. I've accepted Im a late state filer at this point. I'm going to need that efile refund back to pay the late fee interest I owe to the state now. Never can get a call back when convenient for me from turbo/intuit (yes, i do work) and have a schedule. Why there isnt a customer service hot line to assist us who pay this extra service fee? One would think there would be, and not the auto reply computer who is unable to assist with any real thought as to what I am putting in to word expression to emphasize with the customer. So, hey there! Over here! Requesting refund for services i have not received!
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

12 Replies

Will I be refunded the e-filing state return fee? I'm still not able to efile due with turbo's system! And Turbo has deducted the fee from my bank account! WTH?!

If you are using online TurboTax your fee is the same whether you e-file or print, sign and mail the return.   The fee for online TurboTax is for using the software to prepare your tax return---there is not an extra fee to e-file it.  

You are not charged a penalty by the IRS or your state if you are getting a refund or if you do not owe tax due.   If you owe tax due you were supposed to pay by May 17, 2021, so in that case your penalties and interest began on the filing deadline.

If you use the CD/download software, then there is a $25 e-filing fee to e-file a state return.   You can avoid that fee by mailing the state return instead of e-filing the state.  If you paid to e-file a state return using the desktop (CD/download) software you can talk to customer support about getting a refund for that $25 fee.

To call TurboTax customer support

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899263-what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number

Customer support is available from 5 a.m. to 5 p.m. Pacific time Monday-Friday.

And....you cannot e-file a state return unless the federal return was also e-filed and accepted by the IRS.  If you filed federal by mail you cannot e-file the state return.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

When you software is in a loop like you described it is because of old browsing data in your browser. 

Use the Chrome browser, click three dots in top right corner, Settings, Privacy and Security, Clear browsing data.  Make sure the time range is All Time.  Click Clear Data.

Then sign into TurboTax and e-file.  

Online TurboTax has no charge for e-file.  It is free with a federal or state return so there is nothing to refund if you have to mail the return.  

I have the same issue.  But have not been able to get a response from Turbo!

ChondelLO
Intuit Alumni

@debcon51  Are you receiving an error message when you attempt to e-file your return? If so, what error message are you receiving?  Please respond to this thread for further assistance.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Re: Order# [Order number removed]

Order Date: Mar 22, 2023

[Full name removed]

[Address removed]

Biloxi, MS [removed]

Charged for TurboTax Desktop State Return MS Tax Year 2022 E-File $25.00. 
TurboTax program rejected return for e-file. 
please advise how refund obtained. 

@pete107 This is a public web site that can be seen by anyone—including scammers and would-be identity thieves who would love to contact you and pretend to be from TurboTax.  Please remove the personal information you posted here ASAP by returning to your post and clicking the three little blue dots on the upper right to edit your post.   

No one in the user forum can resolve a billing issue.  If you have a question about your TurboTax fees or billing, make sure you use the word “billing” in your request for help.  Do not use the word “refund.”

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
BLS8

Turned out I can't efile state this year.  Looking to get a refund of the efile charge but there would seem to be no way of reaching Intuit support.  If all else fails I'll call me credit card company.  They obviously don't want to talk to people.

@BLS8 wrote:

Turned out I can't efile state this year.  Looking to get a refund of the efile charge but there would seem to be no way of reaching Intuit support.  If all else fails I'll call me credit card company.  They obviously don't want to talk to people.

Contact TurboTax support to get the state e-file fee either canceled or refunded.  Use the key words Billing Issue

See this TurboTax support FAQ for contacting support - https://ttlc.intuit.com/turbotax-support/en-us/help-article/account-management/turbotax-phone-number...

Support can also be reached by messaging them on these pages https://www.facebook.com/turbotax/ and https://twitter.com/TeamTurboTax

@BLS8 We cannot tell from your post if you used online TurboTax or the CD/download.  If you used online, the fee is the same whether you e-file or mail the return.   If you used the CD/download and paid the $25 state e-file fee and could not e-file, then seek a refund of the $25:

No one in the user forum can resolve a billing issue.  If you have a question about your TurboTax fees or billing, make sure you use the word “billing” in your request for help.  Do not use the word “refund.”

BLS8

Thanks, I'll give it a try!

dea652279

This is bull. Clearing this does nothing but erase all the stuff you wanted your browser to remember making in harder to login to your account, check your email and the rest of that stuff you have a password for. Intuit doesn't care about customers like us. 

CatinaT1
Employee Tax Expert

What problem are you experiencing?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies