turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Pearl108

When will I be able to e-file a 1040X on the TurboTax app for 2020? After electing to amend my return, TurboTax says the "amends area" is not yet ready. When will it be?

I would like to Amend my Tax Return for 2020. please let me know.

When will I be able to e-file a 1040X on the TurboTax app for 2020? After electing to amend my return, TurboTax says the "amends area" is not yet ready. When will it be?

@Pearl108 wrote:

I would like to Amend my Tax Return for 2020. please let me know.

An amended return, Form 1040-X, can only be printed and mailed to the IRS if the original tax return was not e-filed. The IRS will take up to 16 weeks or longer to process an amended tax return.

Before starting to amend the tax return, wait for the tax refund to be received or the taxes due to be paid and processed by the IRS.

See this TurboTax support FAQ on amending a tax return originally completed and filed using the 2020 TurboTax editions - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/amending/help/how-do-i-amend-my-return/01/27439

Pearl108

I'm still waiting to Amend my Tax Return for  2020.

Please let me know via email [email address removed]

@Pearl108 wrote:

I'm still waiting to Amend my Tax Return for  2020.

Please let me know via email [email address removed]

Already answered...

@Pearl108   What problem are you having?  Did you use the Online version or the Desktop program?  Have you tried to amend?  

@DoninGA @VolvoGirl 

Used TT FreeFile online edition to file 2020 return, which was fully processed by IRS, and now want to amend 2020 return because there's an additional credit available because of the unemployment exclusion.  We already got the IRS recalculated unemployment refund. But when we go to amend on TT to claim the savers credit TT does not reflect the unemployment refund already received and so the draft amended return is asking for a larger refund ($656) than we are due now ($200). None of the linked TT instructions address how to fix this. Do either of you know how to fix that using the online FreeFile? Many thanks.

BEFORE you start the amendment process you MUST make the unemployment change ... not sure you can with the online version but you can try.  Undo the amendment if you started it too early then log out.   Log back in and scroll down and click on ADD A STATE to open the return  and revisit the unemployment section to get the program to update it  like I already mentioned.   Only when you have the return corrected should you start the amendment process.   Contact TT support if you need more help. 

@Critter-3Thanks again but TT online IS making the unemployment change but the tax return amendment function is NOT adding the IRS refund adjustment already received to line 18 so the draft amended return is claiming too much.

From 1040-X "Refund or Amount You Owe"

"18 Overpayment, if any, as shown on original return or as previously adjusted by the IRS"

And, no, the ADD A STATE strategy didn't work either, sigh. One shouldn't have to be calling TT to get support for this. It should be built into the "amend my return" online functionality. Does anyone who works for TT actually participate in these discussions?

Brillon77

Hi I haven't  filed n yet 1040x form. Can you please help me at this number [phone number removed]. I need to file in order to receive my sitmusic checks. I haven't received any of them

@Brillon77 No one can call you from the user forum.   In fact this is a public website visible to anyone on the internet so the filter removed your phone number for your own protection from scammers and identity thieves.  Have you filed a 2020 tax return at all?   You do not file a 1040X unless you already filed a 2020 return that has been fully processed and you need to correct mistakes on it.  

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Please contact support via phone for assistance with this; contact details can be found here

solomonvr

i'd like to file 2020

@solomonvr

Online preparation and e-filing for 2018 and 2019 and 2020 is permanently closed.

To file a return for a prior tax year

If you need to prepare a return for 2018, 2019 or 2020 you can purchase and download desktop software to do it, then print, sign,  and mail the return(s)

https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/past-years-products/

You may also want to explore purchasing the software from various retailers such as Amazon, Costco, Best Buy, Walmart, Sam’s, etc.

Remember to prepare your state return as well—if you live in a state that has a state income tax.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/state-taxes/help/how-do-i-contact-my-state-department-of-revenue/0... 

When you mail a tax return, you need to attach any documents showing tax withheld, such as your W-2’s or any 1099’s.  Use a mailing service that will track it, such as UPS or certified mail so you will know the IRS/state received the return.

Federal and state returns must be in separate envelopes and they are mailed to different addresses.  Read the mailing instructions that print with your tax return carefully so you mail them to the right addresses.

Note:  The desktop software you need to prepare the prior year return must be installed/downloaded to a full PC or Mac.  It cannot be used on a mobile device.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies