turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

When i filed i forgot to add my unemployment benefits?

2/13 got accepted the same day 

How many dependents you have !

Lmgmom

Well in my situation I didn't file until the very end of quarantine unlike everyone else who was receiving it the entire time - so I forgot I even received the one payment. I think especially with taxes, everyones individual situation is so different there are numerous reasons why this could happen.

LindseyLO
Intuit Alumni

You can amend your taxes to include this information. Help with doing so has been provided by clicking here.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Same thing I’m wondering 

MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

If you need to add information to your tax return, you can do so by amending your return. Please see Do I need to amend? for more information. 

Please note: IRS Form 1040-X (amend your return) will be ready on March 25, 2021. Sign up for email notification and we'll let you know when the most current form is available.

@Talishajones21

I’m glad I’m not the only one! Idk how I missed that! In the beginning it asked if there were any changes that happened last year and I checked the box that said had a child, but completely missed the part that said unemployed, I realized after I submitted it. The only reason I know is because I went back on and acted like I was filing again and saw that question. 

CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

@andreadi14 It happens, but if you did forget to add that in you would need to file an amended return to add in this information. 

If you would like additional assistance, please click here to contact customer support. 

Mmpi

Some people had email set up as contact and we didnt get our 1099g. If you worked most of the year except for a few weeks like me they just didn't think about it. 

I forgot to add mine as well and got the refund now I went to amend it and have to wait til who knows because laws changed on unemployment benefits so idk how much I owe or keep etc this is very frustrating I just want them to take their money back 

Cynthiad66
Employee Tax Expert

Good news!  Up to $10,200 can be excluded from income .  That will reduce the amount you might owe.  Right now, hold off on amending.  The IRS is looking at making adjustment for Unemployment Compensation Automatically.

If your modified adjusted gross income (AGI) is less than $150,000, the American Rescue Plan enacted on March 11, 2021, excludes from income up to $10,200 of unemployment compensation paid in 2020, which means you don’t have to pay tax on unemployment compensation of up to $10,200. If you are married, each spouse receiving unemployment compensation doesn’t have to pay tax on unemployment compensation of up to $10,200. Amounts over $10,200 for each individual are still taxable. If your modified AGI is $150,000 or more, you can’t exclude any

unemployment compensation. If you file Form 1040-NR, you can’t exclude any unemployment compensation for your spouse.

The exclusion should be reported separately from your unemployment compensation. See the updated instructions and the Unemployment Compensation Exclusion Worksheet to figure your exclusion and the amount to enter on Schedule 1, line 8.  

If you have already filed your 2020 Form 1040 or 1040-SR, you should not file an amended return at this time. The IRS will issue additional guidance as soon as possible.

Use this link for more information:  Unemployment Exclusion

I usually get a conformation from TuboTax when I file my tax return. I did not hear back from TurboTax when I filed yesterday. I don't  now how to check filing status using Turbo.

@CQ45G39NpX71L10K  wrote:

I usually get a conformation from TuboTax when I file my tax return. I did not hear back from TurboTax when I filed yesterday. I don't  now how to check filing status using Turbo.

See this TurboTax support FAQ for checking your filing status - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/return-status/help/how-do-i-check-my-e-file-status/01/25538

Mrlenny13

I forget to add my unemployment benefits I received my refund about 3 weeks ago & someone mentioned 2 me the other day if I added them,then it hit me that I didn't & already used my refund,what can I or what am I supposed 2 do now?

henkmeyer01
Returning Member

This should allow me to do a  change for I know what I  have missed a simple INIT  form that was send to me to late . To now go and try and to the mail-in is horrible 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies