turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Knulp14

TurboTax19 won't open on Mac

Update - Do not bother with any of the on line electronic help.  Get a case number and talk to a real person.  It turns out all the retail versions have this problem.  You have to have Intuit push you a version.  The people I spoke with were very helpful and pleasant as well.  I retract my customer service comment as it applies to their support people.   They were wonderful.  Case solved.

I'm having the same exact issue! I've been using Turbotax for over 20 years and never had a problem. After hours of work and down to the last step to file. What can we do???

Knulp14

Call them at user support.  They have tp push an update to you.  The people in customer support I found to be friendly an helpful.  None of the tricks posted on line will correct the problem with anyone who purchased a retail copy.  Good luck!

Thanks for the response @Knulp14. Unfortunately I spent 1 hour 5 minutes on the phone yesterday with a very nice tech support at TurboTax and they had no solution. They pushed the update to me as well. :(

CassLO
Intuit Alumni

@bstanbery Please see the information below, a customer posted that corrected this issue:

To correct the continual crashing, I began by removing the ~/Library files (cached files, saved state, and etc.).  Please see this article: Remove and reinstall TurboTax for Mac

I left the ~/Application folder files in tact and simply removed the localized user files under ~/Library.  Once the files are removed, I rebooted, restarted the app, installed the states that I had purchased (it still recognized the prior purchases), and was then back and operational.

While I was able open app, it continued to crash during the filing process (making it through to the point that the prior credit card transaction is recognized, and then crashed).  That said, I was able to eventually get the filing completed.  For me, this meant clicking the Close Button on the bottom right of the pop-up window, after the filing credit card transaction was recognized (vs. the Close shown in the window), followed by quickly clicking the Continue button in the app.  It could have all just been luck; but the app completed the filings.

I will also note, that if you choose to send the crash reports after a crash, the Library files will need to be removed again.  if the windows are closed, I am able to re-open the app again without issue.

"tko-crash Level 3"

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
dd52
Level 1

Add me to the growing list of Mac users who can't finish their return because of Intuit.  I have 20+ years of TurboTax returns and none of the previous years' issues have been this terrible.  I am using Mojave, more than what is required.  I have tried support, the first 3 agents hung up on me when they could not solve it in under 10 minutes.  The last one was good and promised to call back, but still waiting 3 hours later.  I have removed and loaded again from the original disc and from the e-file that was sent to me.  Nothing is working.  I have removed my malwarebytes, no luck still.  I have confirmed my "Security & Privacy" setting allows downloads.

It started when I paid for to file my state return.  Once that window closed I got the message:

The "lldb" command requires the command line developer tools.  Would you like to install the tools now?

Choose the install to continue.   Choose get Xcode to install Xcode and the command line developer tools from the App Store.

Then another window appeared:

Problem Report for TurboTax2019

TurboTax 2019 quit unexpectedly.

Click Reopen to open the application again.  This report will be sent to Apple automatically.

My credit card was charged by TT, so I now they got their money.  Now I want to get my money and file these returns.

April 18, 2020

Agreed. This is unacceptable. Are we all supposed to go through these convoluted steps to workaround an error in a product that we've already paid for and paid for our state taxes to be filed? We need a solution or a refund so we can file with another software that works on Mac. C'mon TurboTax. Help out your loyal customers in this time of anxiety and stress. Don't add to our woes. We need you to come through! I know you can do it!

I am having the same problem everyone else is having with the Mac version of Turbotax crashing when e-filing the state return.  I see that this problem dates back several months.  Why the heck has it not been fixed?  The program is trash.  I have been a customer of Turbotax since the mid 1990s.  

My operating system is High Sierra and I have Turbotax Home and Business edition. 

dd52
Level 1

TurboTax never made a fix.  Customer Service convinced me today to take a free download and use it on a Windows computer.  I guess they won't hire someone who can program for a MAC.

Same issue here as well.  I did the uninstall thing, 2x but still the same issue.  What is the CS # to call to talk to a real person.  Thx.

KristinaK
Employee Tax Expert

If you would like to talk to a phone agent, you will need to set up a call. Here is how to do that. Keep in mind that so close to the deadline, the wait times can be long. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

No need to re-install !

I was able to recreate this crash and fix several times. Other people have helped figure these out, I'm just consolidating them into one post. @webheads7  @kookla143 @pking1414 etc. Thanks!  

@/turbotax-2019-for-mac-keeps-crashing-won-t-open-fix/01/1686658 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies