turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

TurboTax messed up! They did not file my 2018 tax returns

At first, I was not able to access my 2018 tax return. After giving tax audit defense permission to access on my behalf, they were told it did not exist. Then miraculously, I was able to download my 2018 returns from my turboxtax account. Weird. The issue, I have a letter from the IRS and Turbo Tax failed to e-file my 2018 returns. They never notified me that there was a problem, I have proof of my receipt that I paid the filing fees and for tax audit support. It's a nightmare to get on the phone with support. Anyone else have this issue?!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

30 Replies

Paying for the TurboTax online account fees does not e-file your tax return.

You complete your tax return by finishing all 3 Steps in the File section. In Step 3, to e-file your tax return, you must click on the large Orange button labeled "Transmit my returns now".

After completing the File section and e-filing your tax return you will receive two emails from TurboTax. The first email when your tax return was transmitted and the second email when the tax return has either been accepted or rejected.  Provided you have entered a valid e-mail address for your TurboTax account.  Check your spam or junk mail folder on your email account for a TurboTax email.

See this TurboTax support FAQ for verifying your TurboTax account information - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/account-updates/help/how-do-i-update-my-turbotax-account-informati...

To access your current or prior year tax returns sign onto the TurboTax website with the userID you used to create the account - https://myturbotax.intuit.com/

Scroll down to the bottom of the screen and on the section Your tax returns & documents click on Show.  Click on the Year and Click on Download/print return (PDF)

A 2018 tax return can only be printed and mailed, it cannot be e-filed.

Print, sign, date and mail the tax return to the IRS.  Include with the mailed return any forms W-2 and 1099 which have taxes withheld.  Go to this IRS website for mailing addresses - https://www.irs.gov/filing/where-to-file-paper-tax-returns-with-or-without-a-payment

There are no penalties for filing a tax return after the due date if filing for a tax refund or there are no taxes owed.

See this TurboTax support FAQ for accessing prior year online tax returns - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/prior-year-return/help/how-do-i-access-my-prior-year-return/01/270...

Thanks for the response.

I have filed via TurboTax for 5 years now so failing to hit "Transmit my returns Now" seems highly unlikely. Regardless, I need to revolve the issue with the IRS. Is there a reason why I can't e-file via TurboTax? The letter from the IRS states that e-file is accepted for the 2018 return. Thank you in advance. 

E-filing for 2018 returns has been permanently closed since mid-October of 2019.  The only way to file a 2018 return is to print, sign and mail it in.

When you mail a tax return, you need to attach any documents showing tax withheld, such as your W-2’s or any 1099’s.  Use a mailing service that will track it, such as UPS or certified mail so you will know the IRS/state received the return.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
beach420

Filed my 2019 tax return on turbo tax last week. A few minutes later it shows rejected. AGI doesn't match from 2018 said the irs. When I did my 2018 taxes on turbo tax I made a copy only 8 pages. After I got the message rejected I went on turbo tax and made another copy of my 2018 tax return and I couldn't believe it my printer printed 69 copies of the 2018 tax return. I looked over it and I see my information but there are other things on there that I didn't do. It almost looks like someone else's information.  Things like itemized deductions for being single someone put $25,000 I have never been married  And a form 6251 tax worksheet page 3 line 3 enter $500,000 if single head of household. Student loan deduction line 4 $65,000. A lot more that I didn't do and I can't get anyone at turbo tax to talk to me. I am going to notify the IRS about this fraud. I am retired and there is no way I put these figures on my tax return. I will not use turbo tax again.

AshleyLO
Intuit Alumni

@beach420 The following TurboTax FAQ can offer assistance on what to do if you suspect identity fraud: What to do if you suspect tax-related identity theft

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

February 11, 2020 I used Turbo Tax to e-file my Federal and 3 different states returns.  I was to get a refund from the 3 different states but, I would owe on my Federal return.  Typically, I get my state refunds in a few weeks.  However, this year I still did not have a refund from any of the states by the end of March that I filed so, I checked the status of my refunds and learned that none of the 3 states had received my returns.  When I contacted Turbo Tax to inquire, I was told that they had no record of me e-filing my returns even though I have e-mails from them stating that I did, in fact, e-file my returns.  I was told that I would have to re-do my tax returns.  Ugh!!!  So, not only did I have to re-file my taxes but, I had to PAY to e-file again.  Needless to say, I WILL NOT be using Turbo Tax again!!    

They didn't file mine either but I still was charged $130.00 for the filing!  

@dcentanni wrote:

They didn't file mine either but I still was charged $130.00 for the filing!  

Paying for the TurboTax online account fees does not e-file your tax return.

To access your current or prior year tax returns sign onto the TurboTax website with the userID you used to create the account - https://myturbotax.intuit.com/

Scroll down to the bottom of the screen and on the section Your tax returns & documents click on Show.  Click on 2018 

What is the status of the federal tax return?  If the status is anything other than Accepted then the tax return was not e-filed.  If you did not print and mail the federal tax return then the return was never filed.

Scroll down to the bottom of the screen and on the section Your tax returns & documents click on Show.  Click on the Year and Click on Download/print return (PDF)

A 2018 tax return can only be printed and mailed, it cannot be e-filed.

Print, sign, date and mail the tax return to the IRS.  Include with the mailed return any forms W-2 and 1099 which have taxes withheld.  Go to this IRS website for mailing addresses - https://www.irs.gov/filing/where-to-file-paper-tax-returns-with-or-without-a-payment

There are no penalties for filing a tax return after the due date if filing for a tax refund or there are no taxes owed.

@dcentanni TurboTax does not file your return for you.   YOU have to go all the way through the FILE section to click a big orange button that says "Transmit my return now" in order to e-file it.  After that, you have to pay attention to your emails to see if the return is accepted by the IRS or rejected.  If if is rejected, you have to follow up by correcting the reason it was rejected (if it is something that CAN be corrected) or by printing, signing, and mailing the return yourself.  Your fee is the same whether you e-file or mail the return.  The fee is for using the software to prepare your return.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

I am assuming you work for them with this defense.  Truth of the matter is I completed my taxes which were never e-filed by Turbo Tax.  Whether their program has poor design or they did not file on my behalf....I still paid $130.00 to turbo tax to file my returns...which they did not do.

@dcentanni  Nope, neither of us work for TurboTax or Intuit.

This information is based on decades of experience using the software and providing assistance on the various iterations of the TurboTax tax forums. 

Can i ask ?? did your refund status show processing on irs or anything? and did your turbo homepage show filed no matter what you tried to do? just figured out mine were done completely wrong! i filed 2/28/20 still no federal refund!! prob cause im supposed to actually get more money 

JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

It depends. 

If you are trying to determine if your return was accepted after electronically filing, you can use the attached links to help you check the status of your return. 

Checking E-File status 

State E-file pending 

If when you log in, your returns show as being accepted, that means the returns were filed.  However, there have been delays in processing refunds by the IRS.  

IRS processing time and refund status

If your return was not accepted, you can go back into the program and correct your errors and then file your return correctly. 

Otherwise, you do the ability to prepare an amended return to correct your filing.  See the link below for instructions on how to correct a return that was already filed and accepted.

How to amend my return

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
rcstreb

The exact same thing happened to me.  Including the appalling support experience.  They don't want to talk about it but it's a serious problem.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies