turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Turbo tax took money out of my bank account before I received my tax return and the money was suppose to come out of my returns

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

11 Replies

Turbo tax took money out of my bank account before I received my tax return and the money was suppose to come out of my returns

That is normal procedure for TurboTax. Emails went out to all customers who chose to pay their TurboTax fees through their federal refund (Refund Processing Service), but then had their refund withheld by the government. And because your refund was withheld, Intuit was unable to receive payment for your TurboTax fees.

You should have received a total of three emails regarding that. And if you did not make payment upon receiving the first email or you did not contact customer service at the number in the email, you'd get the remaining two emails. If no response, your account is auto-debited for what you owe TurboTax. 

You agreed to these terms when you selected to use the Refund Processing Service. It was in the agreement presented to you to read and sign before filing. And the information can be found here Why was my bank account charged or debited for TurboTax fees? as well.

Other Related Topics:
tiynece1
Returning Member

I filled my taxes on February16th I accidentally add the same w2 form twice. I called the irs to see what I could do to change my mistakes. But was told to wait until I received my return and file a 1040x. A few days go I woke up with negativity balance of 2,800. Instead of send the return the they have taken I’m hard earned money. (I don’t have any student loans or in debt) I’ve been Trying to contact the IRS  and Tubob taxe to try to get help. I just want my money back in my account.

Mizzmtz

They did the same to me... N worse part is my account didn`t have the funds available and now I`m stuck with over the limit fees that my bank doesn`t want to credit... N when I asked when was the next time they would try to get their payment? they said they "didn`t Know"... They don`t realize that not everyone checks their email on a regular basis... I use my email to create accounts online, I never even check it, so I had no clue... Ugh, now I dnt know if I should put a stop payment or what else I could do, cuz my account wont have money in it till one more week.

CassLO
Intuit Alumni

@Mizzmtz For assistance with this, you can call TurboTax and speak with an agent.  TurboTax customer service/support does not have a single phone number but has many different phone numbers based on the type of platform used.  So that we can direct your call to the best person/department to help you:

1. Click on this link: Contact Us
  2. Select your TurboTax platform.  
  3. Ask your question / state your problem.  Do NOT use the word "refund' or you will get a phone number for tax refunds.
  4. Click Submit.
  5. On the next screen, choose the Call option and follow the instructions.  You will be given the approximate wait time.  

You'll get a toll-free number to a TurboTax expert who is specially-trained to handle your particular issue.

"Irene2805 Employee Tax Expert"

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I**bleep** TurboTax man they really **bleep**ed my [removed] over

CassLO
Intuit Alumni

@Bobblaze666 Please see the TurboTax FAQ below for why this may have happened:

Why was my bank account auto-debited for TurboTax fees?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I only ever got one email, called customer service and was told there was nothing they could do. That I agreed to then debiting my back account, which I did not.

So now there taking the almost 200 out of my account without regard to over drawing my account, and getting the same payment from my refund. What a disrespectful company. In I will never filed my taxes with a company who has no respect for there customers, especially during a pandemic in which refund are being delayed.. Not my fault.

Cmagic24

Since TurboTax took the money from my account was I still charged the $40 fee for choosing to pay with my return? 

Ok ... you ASKED for the fees to be withheld from the federal refund and the processing bank would do that happily (for an extra fee) when the refund is released to them  however the IRS has not released the refund yet and since it has been delayed the contract you signed gives the processing bank the right to debit your account for the TT fees.  You are sent 3 warning emails alerting you to this situation and the final one saying  it is happening.  If you want the debit to be postponed then the first 3 emails told you how to do it.

Then when the IRS does eventually  send your refund they won't take the TT fees out again ... just the processing fee will be withheld.

And, Why you got charged,
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/charges-and-fees/help/why-was-my-bank-account-auto-debited-for-tur...

Turbo tax is a joke they don't help you at all once they get what they want it all about giving you the run around. If you can get anyone they act like they do good for you but it's all a act.

It’s important to read the agreements you’re signing before accepting the pay fees with refund option. It tells you exactly what will happen if the fees aren’t paid. The IRS controls the processing of the return based on the information you entered.

Why is the return being held up?

Have you contacted the IRS to get status of the return?

You will not be charged again once refund finally arrives.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies