TurboTax FAQ
TurboTax FAQ
65 people found this useful

What if my federal refund isn't enough to cover my TurboTax fees?

To take advantage of our Refund Processing Service, your IRS refund must be sufficient to cover your TurboTax prep fees plus any add-ons.

When you get to the payment screen, you won't see the Refund Processing option if your federal refund is less than your TurboTax fees (plus the Refund Processing fee, if any).

You may be able to remove add-ons to reduce your fees. If that's not an option, you'll need to pay with a debit or credit card.

What happens if my refund later gets reduced or the IRS hangs onto it for more than 45 days?

If the IRS is holding your refund, or they reduced or offset your refund to the point where it’s not enough to cover your TurboTax fees, you'll receive a Request for Payment email, which includes instructions on how you can pay your TurboTax fees (minus the Refund Processing fee, if any).

If you do not pay your fees within the time frame specified in the email, you’ll receive 2 additional Account Debit Pending reminder emails.

Finally, if your fees are still unpaid 45 days after your original estimated refund date, we’ll debit your bank account for your TurboTax fees and you’ll receive a Debit to your bank account has been initiated notification email.

Note: If the IRS releases your refund after you've paid your TurboTax fees, we won't deduct your TurboTax fees twice. However, we still deduct the Refund Processing fee, if any.

How do you justify debiting my account for the TurboTax and/or Refund Processing fees?

This provision is spelled out in the Refund Processing Agreement:

In addition, by clicking the "I Agree" button below, you electronically sign and authorize Intuit (through its third party processor) to debit the TurboTax Fees, Additional Products and Services Purchased and any applicable sales tax from your bank account number identified in the Agreement below, in the event that you do not receive a tax refund that is sufficient to pay for them.

GEN85560