Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Turbo tax put the wrong routing and account number and the IRS deposited my refund into this random account. TT won't help me get my money back. Help?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

116 Replies
DavidD66
Expert Alumni

Turbo tax put the wrong routing and account number and the IRS deposited my refund into this random account. TT won't help me get my money back. Help?

If you entered the wrong banking information, the bank will reject the deposit.  The IRS will then mail you a check to the address on your tax return. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I didn't put the wrong acct and routing number, turbotax did. I dont know where they got those numbers from but not from me. The other three times I have filed my taxes with turbo tax the refund wwnt intothe bank acct. I gave them. The IRS has already deposited my refund into this other account because they believe that I did a "refund anticipation loan" with turbo tax wherein I use my refund to pay for the cost of my filing but i didn't do this. I paid the cost of Turbo tax out of my own checking account prior to filing. I Am telling you that the IRS has already deposited this amount. Their tech tracking system says so. Turbotax wont help me figure out where my refund went.

Anonymous
Not applicable

While some people are prematurely seeing payments as pending in their accounts, you really don't have any way to be sure it isn't simply a display error at the IRS for the account as you haven't allowed any time to see if you actually get the money or not.  

There isn't anyway for TurboTax to transmit any number other than the one that you put on the return.  It's simply not possible (except when an intermediary bank is used to pay for the product or for a refund loan, in which case both your account and the intermediary account go to the IRS).  

Did you get a refund for your 2020 return if you've filed yet?  If so, and it didn't go to the wrong account (and none of your other stimulus payments did either), then this one will end up where it should, too.  If it doesn't, it will bounce back and they will mail you a check. 

What you are asserting, that TurboTax just changed your numbers after you entered them, is not possible.

Everyone is anxious to get money, I am sure, but yours isn't even late yet. This isn't a problem YET so there is no way to solve it.  IRS "tech tracking" is notoriously off lately - and you have no idea if they "think you got a refund loan" or what - you're making a lot of assumptions here, and again, your payment isn't even missing or late yet, because they are not set to be made available until 3/17.

I called the IRS over twenty times and got thru to someone twice. The IRS told me my refund was deposited into the account listed on my return which is not the account that my last three deposited returns have gone into.  Its not the account or routing number I have used on my last three return. The IRS told me that according to their records, I accepted a refund anticipation loan and that's why my refund was able to be deposited into an account that didnt have my name. The IRS is now doing an account trace to see where the money went. It may take them 90 days.  Turbotax believing that this scenario is simply impossible is why they wont help me. I don't even know what to say about the belief that the refund tracker is wrong. It says that it was deposited into my account on 2/24 and even turbotax says that my refund should be deposited by march3rd. 

Did you have TT fees deducted from your Federal refund?  if so, it goes to third party bank first to have that done.

JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

I recommend contacting us using the link below. 

Ask the agent to verify your electronic filing so we can confirm your filing matches the amounts reported in TurboTax so we can address your concerns.

Contact TurboTax

@achtungapril

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

No I didn't.

No I didnt

Anonymous
Not applicable

this doesn't sound right at all.  The IRS doesn't do refund traces on funds that aren't even paid yet.  These are PENDING deposits, you don't even know for certain that you didn't get it yet.  The IRS is not going to trace it at this point, no matter what someone on the phone supposedly told you.  

i would follow the instructions to contact TurboTax and ask them to confirm what is showing on their end (you will likely have to tell them what it should be, and they can tell you if it matches or not) 

If it doesn't, the more likely issue is some type of identity theft in which case the payment will probably be returned.  You haven't even given it enough time for it to correct itself.  You're jumping the gun here.  

Contact TurboTax, see what they have on file. It's NOT possible for the information to change en route.  It is possible for there to be an entry error on your return (which I assume you already checked the 2020 tax return that you filed and verified that the information matches) or someone else filed before your 2020 return was processed and then you may have a theft issue. 

TurboTax WILL confirm with you if the last 4 digits you provide match what they have on file.  That would be better use of your time.  Again, it's not lost yet! You haven't given it a chance to bounce back and be re-issued IF it was misdirected.

If you didn't file 2020 yet, then identity theft is what you are almost certainly dealing with. 

I called TT again per recommendation below even tho  I already verified all this information with them last week. I was finally taken seriously and talked with Dan in Fraud who initiated an investigation into how this happened. The routing number is to a commercial lending bank in Kansas City Missouri. Altho Dan didn't know, I suspect that somehow, the acct and routing number for the third party bank that TT uses for their refund anticipation loan got onto my 2020 return and my refund is sitting in that bank. Dan said there's nothing they can do about the refund now and to follow thru with the IRS account trace to have them get the money back and send me a check. I'll never use TT again. I had to go thru so much just to be taken seriously and then come to find out my money is most likely sitting in some 3rd party bank account because TT put the wrong info on my return. It'll take the IRS 90days to get this sorted out. I really needed that money.

If your tax return was deposited into a wrong account, the bank will return the money back to the IRS and they will issue you a paper check and will send you to the address they have on file for you.

This situation is a nightmare. I just checked the "get my payment" tool to check on my stimulus check and saw that my stimulus check was ALSO deposited into the wrong account. I've done everything I can do. I've told the IRS and TT that this is the wrong account and they both agreed with me. I can't file a correction to my return until 3/28 so i can't get the right account number on there. I can't tell you how much i needed this money. Everytime I have called IRS in the last week, i can't get thru. Theres just nothing i can do and I HATE turbo tax for letting this happen.

Your refund is possibly in a Credit Karma account. You may have gotten emails from CK about this. Create a Credit Karma account at creditkarma.com  They mail a debit card. That's the first option to get your refund.

Found out today that TurboTax deposited my $1400 stimulus into my exes bank account which my name and Social Security number was never on. My first two stimulus payments checks came in the mail as checks third one said it was sent a bank account 7078 which I could never get a straight answer I thought it was going to one of them stupid so-called cards they send you a prepaid card. and that was the last four digits on the card. I’ll be fun trying to get my money back I’m sure I’ll never see you at 1400 while I set here with my 11 month old daughter trying to figure out how to pay the rent by tomorrow. Thanks TurboTax who i’ve never even had an account with but got screwed anyhow. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies