turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jlh436

Has a 2018 TurboTax printing problem been resolved? 2018 Home and Business (CD install)crashes as soon as Print or Preview is selected. Also will not save a PDF. Help?

I am using TURBOTAX HOME & BUSINESS 2018 Federal and State from CD install.

I am on a Mac, Sierra 10.12.6, and other software is printing normally with no problems.

I just tried the PRINT AND ARCHIVE CENTER from the FILE tab which says it also offers PDF options, but TurboTax crashes as soon as I select the PRINT RETURNS button.

TurboTax also crashes as soon as I select either PRINT or PREVIEW from the FILE Menu at the top of the computer screen.

If I select SAVE TO PDF from the FILE Menu, a window opens with SAVE AS: to apply a Name.pdf, I then select SAVE at the lower right -- the window closes as expected but no file is saved no PDF is created.

Because no PDF is saved, I cannot print a copy of the return from PDF and therefore have no archive file or hardcopy file to review.

I have not yet tried E-File since I have not yet been able to review the return in its entirety, so I cannot report whether E-File is working or not.

I am concerned because filing date is approaching...

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
jlh436

Has a 2018 TurboTax printing problem been resolved? 2018 Home and Business (CD install)crashes as soon as Print or Preview is selected. Also will not save a PDF. Help?

Trashing a corrupted preferences file fixed my printing problem, I am now able to both print my tax and save my tax return to PDF.

Unfortunately TurboTax did not install properly on my computer. Most of the information I found online recommended that I uninstall Turbotax and then reinstall everything again. However, on a Mac problems of this nature are often caused by a corrupted preference file, which you can simply delete to fix the problem.

The following steps will fix a problem caused by corruption of a preferences file:

1) In the Finder, select the "Go" menu (at the top of the Finder screen), and in the pull done menu select "Go To Folder".

2) In the text field of the window that opens, type "~/Library" and then click "Go".

3) Select and open the "Preferences" folder.

4) In the "Preferences" folder, select the file named "com.intuit.TurboTax.20XX.plist" and drag it to the trash. (Note that the XX indicates the year of the Turbotax software you are repairing -- I am using TurboTax Home and Business 2018, so in my case the file name was "com.intuit.TurboTax.2018.plist".

5) Then close the Library window.

6) Empty the trash.

7) Shut down and restart your computer.

😎 Now you can launch TurboTax again. I was asked to once again register my software, since that data is saved by the preferences file. Everything else should have remained intact.

This worked for me and fixed the printing and saving to PDF problems without the need to delete and then reinstall everything again. So if you are having problems with software on a Mac, first try deleting the software's preferences file. When you launch the software after removing the corrupt preferences file, a fresh new preferences file is created to replace the previous corrupted file. Nine out of ten times this will help to resolve the problem, so well worth giving it a try.

View solution in original post

18 Replies
plam

I have exactly the same problem with my Turbo Tax Deluxe.  Have you resolved the problem?
jlh436

Yes, on my Mac the preferences file for Turbo Tax was corrupted during installation. Trashing the corrupt preferences file fixed my printing problem, and I am now able to both print my tax and save my tax return to PDF. I posted a full step-by-step process of how to remove the corrupt preferences file about a month ago, that should appear below as a previous response. Hope this works for you also, feel free to respond again if you have further questions as you go.
plam

Thanks for responding.  Unfortunately, trashing the preference file did not fix my problem (I am running OS 10.13.6).  I then installed it on another computer (brand new, OS 10.14.4), same printing issue.  I bought my Turbo Tax online directly from Intuit.  Any suggestion?  I am running out of ideas.  Thanks.
jlh436

Sorry, I can offer nothing further. When I was not able to print from my computer with the first install, I then also installed TurboTax (I have the Disk version) on a laptop which is also Mac OS Sierra 10.12.6). I was able to print from the laptop, so I knew the problem had to be with the installation and not specifically TurboTax or the OS.
I gained the insight regarding the Preferences file from a link on the Intuit site (in their FAQs) which said to uninstall TurboTax entirely, but I tried just the step removing the preferences file first and that worked to resolve the problem on my computer. Take a look at what Intuit has to say at the following link, hopefully something there will help you out:
<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901210-remove-uninstall-turbotax-for-mac">https://ttlc.intuit.com...>
jlh436

If reinstalling TurboTax again fails, you can get a filing extension with the IRS so you won't be hit with a penalty, which will give you a little more time to resolve the problem. But remember that if you anticipate you will owe taxes you should prepay an estimated tax amount when you file for the extension just to be safe. Good luck!
plam

Problem is solved by completely un-installed Turbo Tax (instruction on the web), then re-download TT from Intuit and re-install.  It is possible that my first download from Intuit was corrupted somehow. Thank you very much for responding.  
jlh436

Trashing a corrupted preferences file fixed my printing problem, I am now able to both print my tax and save my tax return to PDF.

Unfortunately TurboTax did not install properly on my computer. Most of the information I found online recommended that I uninstall Turbotax and then reinstall everything again. However, on a Mac problems of this nature are often caused by a corrupted preference file, which you can simply delete to fix the problem.

The following steps will fix a problem caused by corruption of a preferences file:

1) In the Finder, select the "Go" menu (at the top of the Finder screen), and in the pull done menu select "Go To Folder".

2) In the text field of the window that opens, type "~/Library" and then click "Go".

3) Select and open the "Preferences" folder.

4) In the "Preferences" folder, select the file named "com.intuit.TurboTax.20XX.plist" and drag it to the trash. (Note that the XX indicates the year of the Turbotax software you are repairing -- I am using TurboTax Home and Business 2018, so in my case the file name was "com.intuit.TurboTax.2018.plist".

5) Then close the Library window.

6) Empty the trash.

7) Shut down and restart your computer.

😎 Now you can launch TurboTax again. I was asked to once again register my software, since that data is saved by the preferences file. Everything else should have remained intact.

This worked for me and fixed the printing and saving to PDF problems without the need to delete and then reinstall everything again. So if you are having problems with software on a Mac, first try deleting the software's preferences file. When you launch the software after removing the corrupt preferences file, a fresh new preferences file is created to replace the previous corrupted file. Nine out of ten times this will help to resolve the problem, so well worth giving it a try.

ghoxr
Returning Member

I tried this several times and did not work.  Any different solution?

Yes make this the last time for turbo tax, it is for me after many years. When just trying to print your return turns into hours, it's not worth it

MSMS
Level 3

Agreed! Trashing the preferences file didn't work. I guess I'll have to try to uninstall and reinstall but that's a pain and the updates take forever on my slow internet connection. This is Premier 2019 for Mac. Seems like this problem has existed for years...it really shouldn't still be happening. Very frustrated and unhappy.

AkinaLO
Intuit Alumni

Please try removing then reinstalling your product. If you continue having issues, please contact customer support by following the instructions below. 

Contact Customer Support 

This article will show you how to remove and reinstall for Mac.

Remove and reinstall TurboTax for Mac - Community

@MSMS

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
MSMS
Level 3

First I tried trashing the preferences file and that didn't solve the problem. I have since uninstalled the program, cleared cookies and cache, rebooted and then reinstalled the program and that hasn't solved the problem! I have spent hours on this and still can't print or save my files from the Print & Archive Center. So frustrated!

TiffanyL
Intuit Alumni

Can you try following the troubleshooting tips in the link provided below:

Troubleshoot printing issues

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
MSMS
Level 3

I get the wheel of death when I select Print & Archive Center. A printing progress bar with no progress and wheel of death. It neither prints nor gets to the option to save as a pdf. I must force quit because the program is not responding. TurboTax crashes.

It did this with two separate returns. I have trashed the preferences file and have uninstalled and reinstalled the program. OS High Sierra 10.13.6   TTax Premier 2019

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies