turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I recieved my state refund but not federal still says processing..... is there something wrong? If federal is wrong I wouldn’t have gotten state true?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

67 Replies
LakeshaLO
Intuit Alumni

I recieved my state refund but not federal still says processing..... is there something wrong? If federal is wrong I wouldn’t have gotten state true?

The IRS processes federal tax returns, while your state government processes the state tax returns. These are two different administrations that work independently of each other. So, it is common for you to receive your state tax refund before you receive your federal refund. You can get an estimated timeframe by tracking your federal tax return on the IRS website. 

After TurboTax prepares your federal tax return and you chose to e-file it, the tax return is submitted electronically to the federal government. The IRS can either accept the tax return or reject it. If it is accepted, this means that the IRS has received it, and will now review it for errors or other issues. At this point, the government has all control over the tax return. There is no way of knowing exactly when IRS will finish processing your return, but you can track your refund on the IRS website. You will not see your refund expected date on the IRS website until after IRS approves the refund. For most taxpayers,(9 out of 10), the refund process takes approximately 21 days. 

For mailed tax returns, the refund processing time is 6 to 8 weeks from the date the IRS receives your tax return. You should begin checking the status of your tax refund 4 weeks after you mail a paper tax return.

To track your e-filed tax refund:

1. First, check your e-file status to see if your refund was accepted by the IRS. You can start checking the status 24-48 hours after submission. To check your e-file status, visit this link:https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/efile-status-lookup/
  2. If it has been accepted, then you would wait for the approval from the IRS. The refund process can take approximately 21 days. You can track your refund at:https://sa.www4.irs.gov/irfof/lang/en/irfofgetstatus.jsp

To track your mailed tax refund:

1. Wait 4 weeks 
  2. Track your federal refund at:https://sa.www4.irs.gov/irfof/lang/en/irfofgetstatus.jsp

Please see these TurboTax FAQs: 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Filled March 18, still waiting for my Federal Tax Return which was accepted

I feel like having a panic attack and can't control my anger impulse

@Moonreaper666

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/efile-status-lookup/

TurboTax gives you an estimated date for receiving your refund based on a 21 day average from your date of acceptance, but it can take longer.

Once your federal return has been accepted by the IRS, only the IRS has any control. TurboTax does not receive any updates from the IRS. Your ONLY source of information about your refund now is the IRS.

You need your filing status, your Social Security number and the exact amount  (line 20 of your Form 1040) of your federal refund to track your Federal refund:   

https://www.irs.gov/refunds

To track your state refund:    

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899433-how-do-i-track-my-state-refund

On the IRS site you are also offered the use of an app called IRS2Go

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901548-why-do-some-refunds-take-longer-than-others

If you chose to have your TurboTax fees deducted from your federal refund, that will take some extra time, while the third party bank handles the refund processing.

https://www.irs.gov/refunds/tax-season-refund-frequently-asked-questions

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2840013-does-accepted-mean-my-refund-is-approved

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2724106-my-return-is-accepted-but-still-not-approved-is-there-a-pr...

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
SusanY1
Expert Alumni

I am so sorry that your return is still in processing, although at 5 weeks it's not terribly out of line with what we're seeing for a lot of returns.  

Have you tried yet looking to see if there any additional clues about the status on your IRS transcript found here: IRS Transcripts.

While there won't be anything that you can do about it right now, sometimes just having a little bit more information about the status can help.

@Moonreaper666

I filed in February still have recieved  my federal taxes

Breairram

Today is May 5th; have you received it yet? I'm in the same boat
JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

The IRS operations are limited during the Covid-19 pandemic.  Attached is a link with more information as to what departments are available to contact at the moment.

IRS operations

Try using the following link to track your refund.

IRS processing time and refund status 

The online link is your best option to track your refund.  I have attached a link with more answers from the IRS as to why your refund may be taking longer to process.

Federal refund questions

Today is May 15 2020 and my federal Refund was accepted on Feb. 7 2020. Refund is still being processed and an issue date will be given when available. I got my state refund in June. Ive double and triple checked all my info and its all correct. 

JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

As mentioned in my earlier post, it is just taking a bit longer for the IRS to process many refunds.  They have a reduced staff as well as needing to issue stimulus payments.

There may not be anything wrong with your return. 

I filed back in March and they requested additional documents in regards to purchasing medical insurance. Does this mean the timer is reset and I should expect anywhere from 6 - 8 weeks and then an additional 21 days thereafter?

CatinaT1
Employee Tax Expert

The online link is your best option to track your refund.  I have attached a link with more answers from the IRS as to why your refund may be taking longer to process.

Federal refund questions

mkchai60

I filed in March and my federal was accepted on March 28th. I still have not received my refund, and the IRS tool to check my status still shows that it's being reviewed. I have received my State refund. What can I do? 

CatinaT1
Employee Tax Expert

Federal refund questions

There is a delay in processing the returns at the IRS due to Covid-19 and social distancing policies in effect.  

IRS operations

I feel ya 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies